Razr M pairing with Subaru Legacy bluetooth system not playing audio music from phone

Adwad

Reaction score
I apologize if this issue has been discussed before...if so any links to prior threads would be appreciated

Anyway, I have a 2013 Subaru Legacy and I'm having Bluetooth Issues. The Bluetooth system pairs with my phone without issues...I am able to make/receive calls without issue. However, music playing on my Razr M (through the Winamp App) does not play in the car's stereo system. The car bluetooth menu has a skip/forward/reverse command and when that command is given, the Winamp App does skip to the next song in the playlist, but no audio is heard. Anyone else had a similar issue? I do have the 'Use for Media Audio' and 'Use for Phone Audio' checkboxes selected in the Bluetooth Settings on the phone so I'm a bit stumped as to what the issue may be. And yes, I have made sure the volume on the phone and the car stereo system is loud. The Bluetooth system is obviously "mostly" linked since the skip/forward/reverse command works (and also all of the phone call features). It just seems to be an audio issue with music playback.

Anyone have any ideas?

aldenontheroad

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 2013 Subaru Outback and HTC One. I've done some exhausted research and it is related to the bluetooth version used in Android 4.1 and above. There doesn't seem to be any fix at this time. A couple of other forums are tracking this for other phones and vehicle manufacturers. Having Isssues with streaming audio via bluetooth and Toytoa Highlander - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
What android version are you running? I'm on 4.1.1 and hoping that it is resolved when my carrier rolls out the 4.2.2 update.

OP
A

Adwad

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 2013 Subaru Outback and HTC One. I've done some exhausted research and it is related to the bluetooth version used in Android 4.1 and above. There doesn't seem to be any fix at this time. A couple of other forums are tracking this for other phones and vehicle manufacturers. Having Isssues with streaming audio via bluetooth and Toytoa Highlander - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
What android version are you running? I'm on 4.1.1 and hoping that it is resolved when my carrier rolls out the 4.2.2 update.

I'm using Android 4.1.2

The music did work through Bluetooth -- only once -- a couple days ago. I'm not really sure what I did. But it only worked during that one drive and now it's not working again so it seems like maybe it's some sort of software issue. I'll post if I figure anything out.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
Check to see if your phone is presenting itself as a media player when connected to your car's bluetooth. You can find the option somewhere in the bluetooth menu after you connect your device (I'm not exactly sure where, sorry).

OP
A

Adwad

Reaction score
Ok so I have been having some mild success with the Bluetooth Media pairing the past few days. I use two main Android Apps to play music...Digitally Imported (a streaming internet radio app) and WinAmp. It seems as though the Digitally Imported app has some sort of "priority" access to the Bluetooth Audio stream.

When turning on the system, if I open the Digitally Imported app, the music almost always successfully plays through the car audio system and the song artist/title display on the display on the car dashboard is correct. If, after turning on the system, I instead try first to play music using WinAmp, it usually does not work. However, if I turn the system on, play something through Digitally Imported, then stop that app, then play music through WinAmp, it usually works. However, the text of artist/song name on the screen in the car is not usually accurate.

Really strange. I also had one time where music from BOTH apps was playing through the Bluetooth system at the same time lol.

I still believe it's some sort of issue with the Android OS that I'm currently on (4.1.2)...I'm eagerly awaiting the next update (hopefully it will happen). But at least I've had some moderate success.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
Google changed the bluetooth stacks in 4.2 and 4.3, and many people say it made bluetooth worse.

This might sound like nerd-speak to you, but basically it means that in 4.2 Google completely changed and re-wrote bluetooth for Android. Many people say it actually made things a lot worse, and they tried to fix it up in the just released 4.3. It's better, not not as good as 4.1

So if Motorola eventually roles out a 4.2 update for our phones, let's hope they keep the old bluetooth code :hail:

narlyharley

Reaction score
Hurray it works!

dancedroid Thanks for the answer. I have spent quite a bit of time trying differant things to get streaming music to work through bluetooth on my 2014 Subaru Legacy. It would work for a few days when I deleted the phone and started the set up and pairing from scratch, then all of a sudden it would stop working. When it would stop it would also play in the background of my stored music files. The 2 apps you mentioned don't have to be opened for my phone to pair and play through bluetooth. as soon as I installed the second app pandora started playing. I'm crossing my fingers but it has worked great so far!

johnbrain

Reaction score
The 2 apps you mentioned don't have to be opened for my phone to pair and play through bluetooth. as soon as I installed the second app pandora started playing. I'm crossing my fingers but it has worked great so far!

I just got my legacy yesterday. I have the same problems with a Droid RAZR. Phone pairing works fine but I only got audio streaming to work a couple times. So when you installed these two apps Pandora started working? I use Pandora Slacker and Rhapsody but I don't download music to my phone.

johnbrain

Reaction score
FYI. Something I figured out is for some reason notification sounds seem to reestablish a connection. When an email or text came through bluetooth audio started playing again.

narlyharley

Reaction score
I just got my legacy yesterday. I have the same problems with a Droid RAZR. Phone pairing works fine but I only got audio streaming to work a couple times. So when you installed these two apps Pandora started working? I use Pandora Slacker and Rhapsody but I don't download music to my phone.

try downloading the 2 apps. The app digitally imported is a free app to try but the trial ends after a short time. I have not paid for the full app after the trial ended but streaming is still working great without having to open either app.

johnbrain

Reaction score
try downloading the 2 apps. The app digitally imported is a free app to try but the trial ends after a short time. I have not paid for the full app after the trial ended but streaming is still working great without having to open either app.

I'll try again. Yesterday it didn't work but sending myself an sms did

Tinger17

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Legacy with a Razr M, and also have a BT headset which works perfectly. I have given up on using the Subaru Bluetooth connection entirely for several reasons.
1) the implementation is horrible - VERY unintuitive setup and device management, poor functionality (who wants an address book in their car? / unable to use phone address book),
2) changing any settings on the subaru-phone BT connection (ex. disconnecting phone audio) resulted in problems with my bluetooth headset connecting to the phone.
3) even if I didn't change anything on the setup (turning on/off audio or phone connection to the car), my phone would lose connectivity to the BT headset while in the car. I don't know if this is the fault of the phone, the car or the headset, but having them both paired means that the headset is completely unreliable, which I can't have.

I finally determined that the best solution was to turn disconnect the Subaru BT system completely and use a wired connection to the audio to prevent me having to constantly re-establish the bluetooth to my headset (Motorola H730).

If Subaru implemented a system where the on-car system had the option of acting like a dumb VT headset and used voice commands from the phone we'd be all set.....

Very disappointing product.

narlyharley

Reaction score
I believe its the dumb droid at fault and the verizon tech I talked to seemed to agree after trying to help me through. I have friends with Iphones that work perfectly in the subaru's.

MelodicProgFan

Reaction score
Hi,

I saw this thread after looking for answers as I have the same issue as well. My GF has a 2013 Subaru Legacy and I was trying to pair out phones (HTC One) to the car. I connects fine, we can make calls just fine and hear audio notification as well. What it doesn't do is stream audio from 3rd party apps like Pandora or Spotify. It will play songs through the built in app just fine. But if you have zero songs or would rather have stuff streamed through it then it should work.

Not sure who is at fault as I use a pair of bluetooth headphones everyday to stream music and that works just fine as well as a bluetooth receiver that works fine streaming everything.

I have yet to try the iphone as I have one as well I could try out. Just seems weird that it doesn't go through 3rd party apps.

Anyways,

Cheers