Problems connecting RAZR (Maxx) with Alpine Stereo Bluetooth

lyrictenor1

Reaction score
Droid RAZR Maxx, stock ROM, rooted.

I recently installed an Alpine CDE-HD137BT stereo in my car, which has quite a bit of bluetooth functionality. However, I do have quite a few issues connecting my Razr's BT with the Alpine.

-Sometimes the BT icon on the stereo will light up, and the BT icon on the RAZR will turn blue, indicating that they are paired. However, even though they showing as being paired and connected, it occassionally won't play any audio through the stereo (in fact, the audio will play through the RAZR's speaker). This some times happens with CALLS as well.

-Sometimes the two devices will connect fine, which then automatically causes my phone to start playing music from whatever music app was being used last; the music will play fine through the car stereo's speakers for maybe 20 seconds, followed by a shrill, loud, high frequency tone that only goes away by switching the source or by turning the radio off/on (by turning the car off/on).

-Sometimes the phone will pair perfectly to the stereo, and I make a call before listening to any music. The call is executed beautifully, but then following the call, audio will not stream through the stereo, nor will any subsequent calls work via bluetooth.

-(known problem) the specific Pandora fucntions on the stereo do not seem to work with this device.

Anyone else have the above issues? If so, what did you do to remedy them?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

William_04_x

Reaction score
Which music player do you prefer to use? You might want to open that up and make sure the headset controls are enabled. On those you don't use, make sure they're not enabled.

I had similar problems with Winamp, and music not playing after a call. Haven't had the problem with Poweramp.

If you're getting the devices to pair, its most likely a matter of getting all the settings correct.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
I've had a similar problem where both the phone & car showed connected but I couldn't make/receive calls or view contacts. I had to clear all saved pairing data on the car then repair & all was good. I got this issue everytime I repaired my Razr after a FDR or phone swap, oddly the Razr is the only device that had this issue with the car.

Might not help with your issues but worth a try. If it ends up being a compatibility issues maybe the ICS update will correct it or Alpine may have a firmware update-if you haven't done so yet check their support network.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

wookv

Reaction score
I've had a similar problem where both the phone & car showed connected but I couldn't make/receive calls or view contacts. I had to clear all saved pairing data on the car then repair & all was good. I got this issue everytime I repaired my Razr after a FDR or phone swap, oddly the Razr is the only device that had this issue with the car.

Might not help with your issues but worth a try. If it ends up being a compatibility issues maybe the ICS update will correct it or Alpine may have a firmware update-if you haven't done so yet check their support network.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

I have the same problems too. I unpaired and re-paired it. It'll start playing my music from doubletwist instead of google player (which is good music wise because it's not streaming, but it won't send mp3 info to the screen).

Pandora, for the first week that I had it, turning on the stereo and going over to pandora would automatically get pandora going my phone, I don't know what happened but after a week it just stopped doing that. And everytime I select the pandora option, I have to acknowledge the access key request that pops up on the phone, but after that it'll work great until I turn off the stereo or car engine (I'll have to redo it again when I turn the ignition). Kind of a pain but...

FWIW, I am using ICS, not sure about the timeline, I think the problems started before I got ICS.

Anyone knows if there's a software/firmware update for the alpine receiver?

OP
L

lyrictenor1

Reaction score
Okay, all seems fine now after the ICS upgrade...I guess Moto fixed something in the OS.

jns.das

Reaction score
Okay, all seems fine now after the ICS upgrade...I guess Moto fixed something in the OS.

Is all still working well for you? I have the same head unit and razr maxx as well... I found some quirky things... For instance... If you begin in bt pandora mode and pair the phone you can not only pair the phone with no problems... it will eventually connect to your pandora acct. And if you do this this way, thumbs up/down etc all work... There is a bt audio selection which pairs much easier.... but you can only skip tracks... When in bt pandora mode, on your razr hit the menu button and you will get a quit option......

My main problem is that Every time I leave my car and come back to it, the only way I can get anything to work is if I am in hd radio mode. Unpair phone from radio, wipe radios history and repair.... Im on hold w alpine now....(past 22 minutes).... will see if they have any answers.

regards,

jns.das

Reaction score
Ok all,

I just got off the phone with a level 2. Anyway. according to him doing the below does a complete bluetooth reset on the head unit and "Typically" fixes this issue. So he says...

-With key in and radio on, Pull the face plate off.

-Press the reset button thats behind the face plate.

- Cycle the Key - (off, on, off, on)

-Put the faceplate back.

-Re-pair the unit to your phone.

Im gonna try this tonight. Good luck.

Jay

jns.das

Reaction score
Worked for me

Ok, I did what I posted last night...Worked like a charm.

Now, I find that all I have to do is the following and I keep a flawless connection between the two.

When done playing music in car. On phone. Goto pandora (it shows a pandora-alpine black screen), press menu, and select quit.

The radio will then say "See Device." Press and hold power on head unit to shut down.

--->

Then when turning on. Make sure bluetooth is on on phone and pandora is closed... Go to my Bluetooth menu screen. Turn on radio... and on my Droid Razr I get a pop up asking if I wanna pair... Press pair... voila... connects and opens pandora. works every time I have tested it so far.

Katoomr

Reaction score
I just installed this stereo in my truck and I'm having all of the above issues and the above mention "fix" does not solve my issue. Anyone found any new info for solving this issue?

jns.das

Reaction score
I just installed this stereo in my truck and I'm having all of the above issues and the above mention "fix" does not solve my issue. Anyone found any new info for solving this issue?

What phone are u on? What rom?

I will say its very finicky. Mine still works but. I have to jump thru hoops.

Turn on car then turn on blutooth. Then go in and make sure connected... from the android connections screen... on the radio. There are 6 source screens. Bt pandora bt audio hd radio etc... while connected i will cycle thru those 6 sources until i get back to the bt pandora screen. And then on my razr on the blutooth connections screen i will get a pop up request asking if i wish to pair.... when i press pair pandora connects.

Btw.... i need to do this every time i get back in and start the car up