Razer Nabu Smartband is Shaking Things Up at CES

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;s2Fp8XqKWfM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Fp8XqKWfM[/video]​

It just goes to show you that not everything needs to be tackled from the same angle. Razer, the tech company known for making top-notch gaming mice and other peripherals has been shaking things up this year at CES with their own take on a "smartwatch" and on a "fitness band." Their product is called the Razer Nabu and, technically, it is hybrid concept between a fitness band and a smartwatch blending some intriguing features of both. Here's what Razer's CEO Min-Liang Tan had to say about it,

“It’s not a smartwatch. It’s not a fitness band. It’s what we’re calling a ‘smart band.’

Here are some of the relevant details about this device:
  • It features two screens on opposite sites which is meant to protect the wearer's privacy - One is a 32-pixel square display that shows notification icons - the other is a larger 128 x 32 screen that can list text messages, emails and other data
  • The Nabu can also track your fitness activities, including burned calories, location and altitude and sleep patterns
  • It includes gesture support, and will include required iOS and Android compatible smartphone apps to manage this data
  • The device will offer 7 to 10 days of battery life on a single charge
  • It will also be compatible with future augmented reality games and offer band-to-band communication for in-game information trading
A launch date for consumers has not yet been announced, but developer's who want to work on its open development platform will be able to order one for $50 by the end of March. When it finally does retail later this year, it will sell for less than $100. Obviously, this particular wearable device can't dual as your smarpthone for making voice calls, yet it still offers much of the same functionality (and more considering the fitness band features), as the typical smartwatch, but it will be much more affordable than the current fare. What do you guys think of something like this?

Source: Razer

Reaction score
I would personally love to know more about this device! The ones that are created for the same purpose are pretty much an oversized pedometer and were a bit of a disappointment to me, to be completely honest. The gaming feature is a bit intriguing as well.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Yesterday I posted how watches are IMO, not a good wearable device and then comes this. I think its a good take on the wearable device. I've been thinking about getting a sleep monitor that can communicate to my phone to show whats going on when I sleep (for specific reasons, not just out of curiosity). Showing notification icons is nice too. Sometimes I hear something on my phone in a meeting and it could be either important or can wait until the meeting is done. Being able to see just the icons is nice and can be viewed at a glance. The long battery life is very nice as well. For me, the price point is very important. Sub $100 is still too much. I know its a piece of tech and a new one at that so it will hold a premium price, but for me to get this thing, I'd have to see it at $50 or less.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Sub-$100 is the price I think it needs to hit. Sub-$50? To each his own but when Sony is selling for $200 and Sammy for $300 for a smart watch... i'd say $99 is perfect.
$30? That means they have to be able to make something like this for $10. Not realistic.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm digging this one. This or the Jaybird is on my list

xtor

Reaction score
When are these available? How do developers order one?

8th Infantry division

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
by9ese9e.jpg

At the gym now wishing I had one!

Texted while driving (hands free) on my Moto X.

xtor

Reaction score
Just had my friend sign up for developers, I test the apps he makes, hopefully I can test one of these bands:)

8th Infantry division