Razer Blade or Alienware

rochaeliseo

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to this so please go easy on me. I'm looking to upgrade from my M15x to a 17" screen laptop and I'm stuck between the M17x or that new Razer Blade. I love the Razer Blades portability, weighs almost 5lbs lighter that my current laptop and its twice as thin. But Alienware has crazy power but is also weighty and bulky. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Insidious

Reaction score
I think the Blade is pretty awesome. I guess it depends on what kind of gaming you do. My PC is waaayy over powered for the kind of gaming I do, but knowing tha I can run anything is nice. I say go for the one with the most power. Games are only going to get more resource demanding.

Sent from Skynet

OP
rochaeliseo

rochaeliseo

Reaction score
Yeah you're right, games will become more demanding and you can't upgrade the Blade.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'd stick with Alienware as they're easier to customize. I wish it was as easy to build a laptop as it is a computer, would've had my own kickass gaming rig by now. Then again I haven't built a computer in years...

OP
rochaeliseo

rochaeliseo

Reaction score
Do you guys happen to sport SSD?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Do you guys happen to sport SSD?

I don't, my rig is old. It's a Vaio All-in-One.

I did put a SSD in my netbook and in my friends' XPS and it is certainly a world of difference in speed. They have a new technology out called Hybrid drives. They're basically SSDs put onto a traditional harddrive. It's supposed to be used in newer ultrabooks, put the OS on the SSD for fastboot up times, and have tradition hardrive for space. If you want a really fast setup though, SSD is the way to go, even in an already fast XPS it just blows away the fastest tradition HDD out there.

OP
rochaeliseo

rochaeliseo

Reaction score
Yeah I seen something like that when I was checking out the M17x, wasn't too sure about that though. My M15x get EXTREMELY hot and I heard that SSD almost eliminates it. Plus I didn't see any TRIM support for the Alienware SSD but they do get that support on the Razer Blade.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah I seen something like that when I was checking out the M17x, wasn't too sure about that though. My M15x get EXTREMELY hot and I heard that SSD almost eliminates it. Plus I didn't see any TRIM support for the Alienware SSD but they do get that support on the Razer Blade.

An SSD has no mechanical parts, so heat isn't too much of an issue on devices with them. The only downside is they're still quite expensive for low storage. For the money you spend on an 80gb SSD you can get a 2TB HDD (when it's on sale).

OP
rochaeliseo

rochaeliseo

Reaction score
Yeah I understand about the price... but I'm really so sick of all that heat it makes I want to avoid HDD at all costs. Plus the weight of the machine.. it's almost insane...

mekanism

Reaction score
Yeah you're right, games will become more demanding and you can't upgrade the Blade.

Not if game studios keep designing games for consoles then porting them to the pc market. I dropped over 2k on my desktop rig thinking crysis 2 would be more demanding then the first one. Needless to say that crysis 1 (which is like 5 years old) used way more power than cry 2. Basically wasted my money. I wouldn't spend more than $1000 on either a pc or laptop these days.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah I understand about the price... but I'm really so sick of all that heat it makes I want to avoid HDD at all costs. Plus the weight of the machine.. it's almost insane...

That's up to you then. Really can't go wrong with an SSD, don't expect to put too much on it though. Good luck deciding!

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I dont like alienwares i think theyre more hype than theyre worth I'd get a toshiba qosmio if it were me

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

OP
rochaeliseo

rochaeliseo

Reaction score
I love my Alienware, it performs so much better than I expected but of course I'm on the first Gen i7 and the 3rd is out now. Plus my graphics card is a GeForce 460m, I'm way outdated and with the added effect of my HDD is about to die out on me and it's only been 18 months... I'm curious to see what the Razer Blade refresh will offer.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
alienware owner (M18XR2) bias? Yup. in 2 years you'll still be able to upgrade to ? Hate the heft and bulk of it but i can play crosswords on it at 245 FPS. LOL. M17 first choice if you like 3D. Razer Fiona for portability, can't wait.

OP
rochaeliseo

rochaeliseo

Reaction score
Yeah the new Razr is definitely looking very nice. I'm glad I held off on getting the original one. Cheaper and a lot more powerful, I can't even imagine the type of performance I'd notice from it. I'm still on the NVIDIA 460m and a first Gen i7 quad core at 1.87GHZ, I feel so ancient...