Any Chromebook Users???

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
I just picked up the new Samsung Chromebook for $249. Let me tell you I am completely blown away by this device! Anyone else out there that has a Chromebook or is interested in one?

Here's my review:

I remember seeing the release of the first gen Chromebooks a few months ago, and they really piqued my interest. At the time, I did not have enough money to purchase one, so I decided to wait. Once again, waiting paid off. When I saw the commercial for the new Samsung Chromebook, and that it was only $249, I knew it was what I've been looking for.

I waited almost four weeks to receive my new Samsung Chromebook. It was definitely worth the wait! I'm a sophomore in college taking multiple online courses, and I needed something light and portable for those typical college student coffee house trips. I have a Motorola XOOM wifi tablet that I love to death, but it just wasn't cutting it. I have a three year old HP G-series laptop that I have been wanting to replace for about six months. Its battery only lasts 10 minutes, rendering it almost completely useless when it comes to mobility. I almost got another Windows computer, but I am so glad I didn't.

This computer is extremely lightweight. What a difference between it and my old HP. I love the fact that there is no fan, making this the quietest computer I've ever encountered. Startup is lightning fast. It takes maybe 8 seconds to turn on, and about 3 seconds to wake up from sleep mode. The small 16GB hard drive kind of worried me at first, but the included free 100GB of storage on Google Drive definitely makes up for the lack of built in storage. The build quality is excellent in comparison to its price. The keyboard is firm, and the trackpad somewhat reminds me of those on a MacBook. The auto dimming feature is pretty cool, although it can become aggravating. I would have to say that my favorite app so far is the Chrome Remote Desktop Beta app. It's basically like having all the data from my old HP put onto this sleek new Samsung device.

I will say that at first I was skeptical about how useful this laptop would be, but after a day's use discovering all the cool features and tricks this little Samsung has rolled up its sleeve, I can now see that this is probably the smartest buy I've made all year.

Oh and here's a pic, running Chrome Remote Desktop Beta
View attachment 58476

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have one. AND I LOVE IT.

For the price, this thing is the perfect compliment to anything you have at home.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

And the fact I can leave my bigger laptop at home, remote into and have quick access to anything is super nice.

And if you use most of Google's services like Drive, Gmail, Sheets, etc... makes it even better!

I LOVE MINE! lol

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
I have one. AND I LOVE IT.

For the price, this thing is the perfect compliment to anything you have at home.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

And the fact I can leave my bigger laptop at home, remote into and have quick access to anything is super nice.

And if you use most of Google's services like Drive, Gmail, Sheets, etc... makes it even better!

I LOVE MINE! lol

The price was the selling point for me. That and the Windows 8 commercials. Lol I absolutely hate the way Windows 8 looks. I was really looking into a Macbook, but I didn't have $1200 to spend on the model I really wanted. I was a little worried about having to use Google Docs, but now that I can remotely access my old computer it's not even a problem.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I am thinking about grabbing one for my wife as all she does is typically Web based. Set her up a user account on my N7, but it's so wasted LOL.

The price point really does make it very attractive ... still mulling over the decision.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thinking about grabbing one for my wife as all she does is typically Web based. Set her up a user account on my N7, but it's so wasted LOL.

The price point really does make it very attractive ... still mulling over the decision.

Do it. Totally worth it lol.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just semi played my hand - she's not interested:( no chromebook play for me:(:(

Tell her its cheaper than the tablet and more cost effective because you do more lol

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
I just semi played my hand - she's not interested:( no chromebook play for me:(:(

Well, it IS almost Christmas, which means you'll have an excuse to buy yourself something. If anything, you could try out the new Acer C7 Chromebook, which is $199 and has a 320GB hard drive. It's not as fast as the Samsung, the battery doesn't last as long, and it doesn't have bluetooth. It also uses an Intel chip, so it does have a fan like a typical computer. Other than that, it's running the same OS so there's not going to be any software differences.

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
@macpro88, does your backspace key squeak? Mine does every once in a while, so I may take apart the computer and see if I can make it stop. Lol

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
@macpro88, does your backspace key squeak? Mine does every once in a while, so I may take apart the computer and see if I can make it stop. Lol

Not that I've noticed, I'll pay attention and see if it does or not.

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
macpro88 said:
Not that I've noticed, I'll pay attention and see if it does or not.

Other than the button, I've had no complaints. Lol

Sent from my resurrected DROID RAZR with ICS