Radio Station Apps Questions

Reaction score
So far I only have Pandora installed in my Droid. It was good for a few days but the whole repetetive song selection got annoying. But, besides that I do not know how to change my artist or song type ? For instance how can I change the artist to play other style and type of music other then my original choice ?

Also so far I was suggested Last FM, Iheartradio, Slacker, and Droidlive. From this list which has the biggest song selections ? Any advantages or disadvantages from any ? Rather then download all and go through the list I figured I'd ask those who have these and what they would recommend for a Trance DJ like myself :icon_ banana:

amjacobs1

Reaction score
You may want to go to the market place and read the comments of each one. Some are better than others. I chose DroidLive just because it is easy to use. I found all streamers to lose contact temporarily which is irritating and why I use Pandora too. It doesn't lose the stream. If I set up my stations correctly, I don't get too many repeats. Now if I can just fix the loss of the DroidLive stream, it would be perfect. Oh...and the streamers play certain radio stations. You need to find out if that is important to you.

OP
GrooveElements
Reaction score
You may want to go to the market place and read the comments of each one. Some are better than others. I chose DroidLive just because it is easy to use. I found all streamers to lose contact temporarily which is irritating and why I use Pandora too. It doesn't lose the stream. If I set up my stations correctly, I don't get too many repeats. Now if I can just fix the loss of the DroidLive stream, it would be perfect. Oh...and the streamers play certain radio stations. You need to find out if that is important to you.

On Pandora how do you change the artist type and style ? And can you have multiple to toggle in between them all ? Cant figure that out...

deputc26

Reaction score
Just wait for the droids FM reciever to get enabled ;)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

On Pandora how do you change the artist type and style ? And can you have multiple to toggle in between them all ? Cant figure that out...

Use Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music for a more complete user interface. All of my "stations" have been created through the web interface.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
So far I only have Pandora installed in my Droid. It was good for a few days but the whole repetetive song selection got annoying. But, besides that I do not know how to change my artist or song type ? For instance how can I change the artist to play other style and type of music other then my original choice ?

Also so far I was suggested Last FM, Iheartradio, Slacker, and Droidlive. From this list which has the biggest song selections ? Any advantages or disadvantages from any ? Rather then download all and go through the list I figured I'd ask those who have these and what they would recommend for a Trance DJ like myself :icon_ banana:

Pandora and Slacker are stand-alone services which are limited to their playlists. DroidLive, IHeartRadio , and Cherry RPlayer give you access to FM stations from all over the country and streams from all over the world. IHeartRadio is for ClearChannel stations only. You would do best trying out DroidLive and/or Cherry RPlayer.

Spyte

Reaction score
Pandora is a little bit different in that they categorize music by their Music Genome Project; essentially categorizing music by different features of a song. For example, the genome for a song called New Millenium by Dream Theater is: Hard rock roots, a subtle use of vocal harmony, varying tempo and time signatures, a clear focus on recording studio production, and heavy syncopation. If you were to use this song to create a radio station in Pandora, the app would choose other songs with these same or similar characteristics. For example, the radio station i created named Symphony X is based off the band of the same name and tends to play Kamelot, Dream Theater, Nightwish, Black Majesty, Dark Moor, etc. However, that station will also play bands i don't like such as Iron Maiden because the sound of Iron Maiden is similar to other bands that i DO like. One of the features i like about Pandora is that you can train it. In essence, telling it what you like and don't like in order to make that station play music that you like all the time. On classic radio apps like Slacker and others you are unable to do that. You can also choose a genre (such as Heavy Metal or Easy Listening) with which to base your radio station.

To create a new station, press the menu button on your phone and choose create station. At this point, enter the name of a band that you like, or a song that you like, and Pandora will attempt to play songs that all share features with your original choice. On the Web App there is a choice to not play a song for 30 days but I have yet to find that option in the mobile app. That being said, none of the stations i have created repeat songs any more than a traditional radio station does.

For more reading: Pandora FAQ