Quick UD 3.0.1 Question.

SHAK3R

Reaction score
Quick question.

Currently on Ultimate Droid 2.5.0 and looking to install UD 3.0.1 Do I need to wipe data and cache or can I just flash the new updated rom?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

swizzcheez

Reaction score
Definitely do a back-up. Almost everyone on here wipes everything before installing it. I put it on my SD card and used SPRecovery to install it manually after wiping Devik and cache. I have been running fine. Just an option. ENJOY!!!

OP
SHAK3R

SHAK3R

Reaction score
Yea I always back up but have been using mybackup but I think I'm gonna start using Titanium. But now I have another question. When you wipe the data and cache does anything get erased/deleted from the sd card (pictures etc...) You don't have to back them up do you?

swizzcheez

Reaction score
As far as I know nothing on the SD card gets erased. You WILL have to reinstall all your apps ,giving you saved them. I used Astro file manager to do that. Good Luck.

adsfa34

Reaction score
the recommend practice is formatting (wiping) /system, /data, and /cache 3X (under the "patitions" menu in CW)

EDIT: and no, nothing gets deleted off of your sdcard by formatting system, data or cache.

(the only way to format your sdcard from recovery is to first mount it under partitions, then format sdcard.) however, it's always a good idea to copy the files from your sdcard onto your computer periodically just in case.

Last edited:

Rodeojones

Reaction score
Definitely wipe. You're going from one OS to another - Froyo to Gingerbread - and not wiping will lead to issues. If you use CW for your recovery, I recommend you go directly into recovery, wipe data/factory reset, then go to Partitions Menu and format boot and system, then go to Aadvanced and clear dalvik cache. And, because I'm OCD, I do each of these things three times before flashing a new ROM. Heck, I even do this before restoring a backup .

adsfa34

Reaction score
^^^ +1 oooohhh yeah i totally forgot about dalvik ... thanks for catching that :D

OP
SHAK3R

SHAK3R

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their input, if I could end this with one final question, what is dalvik. I see it in the settings here many people reference it but haven't looked it up yet. What is it and what does it erase, thanks.

adsfa34

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their input, if I could end this with one final question, what is dalvik. I see it in the settings here many people reference it but haven't looked it up yet. What is it and what does it erase, thanks.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/57570-what-dalvik-cache.html

it will rebuild on boot once its formatted. so the idea is that you want it compiled for the current rom, not the old one

Last edited: