questions for my soon to be new S4

mrmark27

Reaction score
I'm picking up the S4 tonight to upgrade from my dying nexus. Is there any way to transfer over my text messages from the nexus to the S4 or will I haveto start with a clean slate?

Also, do you guys have any other tips or anything that I should do with her after I get the new phone tonight? Is rooting still an option or is that now blocked?

Thanks!

reybie

Reaction score
Try SMS Backup & Restore from the Google store.

Regarding Root, it depends on which firmware you get. Rooting/ROMs is possible on the older MDK. Root only on the newer ME7 firmware. Instructions are over at XDA forum.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
+1 for SMS backup and restore. That's what I used to transfer my text messages from my Nexus to the S4. You'll have to move the file to your PC or SD card and then restore it onto your s4.

Great pickup. You'll definitely enjoy your s4

OP
M

mrmark27

Reaction score
ahh yes, i forgot about SMS Backup & Restore, i've used it in the past when I was flashing my phone and wanted to make sure I saved my texts but totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

any tips and tricks I should do to pimp out my new S4 when I pick it up? Also, i'm guessing I should make sure they dont update the firmware when activating to hopefully I can still root?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I was a big flash-o-holic in my Nexus days. All I've done to my s4 so far is root it and that's it. I find the "out of box" experience + root make this phone more enjoyable than any ROM right now. I've had the s4 for maybe 4 or 5 weeks now and still have no intention of flashing a ROM

reybie

Reaction score
Same here, ex-flasholic hehe, for S4, root only is sufficient for me.

THEPRFCT1

Reaction score
I was a big flash-o-holic in my Nexus days. All I've done to my s4 so far is root it and that's it. I find the "out of box" experience + root make this phone more enjoyable than any ROM right now. I've had the s4 for maybe 4 or 5 weeks now and still have no intention of flashing a ROM

May I ask why did you root? Just to remove the bloat? I'm thinking about it. Would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

★Sent from my Galaxy S4★

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
May I ask why did you root? Just to remove the bloat? I'm thinking about it. Would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

★Sent from my Galaxy S4★
Be happy to explain.:)

I rooted my s4 to get rid of bloatware, access to rooted apps, and mainly take more control of what runs on my phone. With root I extended the battery life using apps such as Greenify and Autorun Manager, and I am able to save all my apps+info with Titanium Backup, should I choose to ROM one day. Also being able to freeze some things such as "new software" updates as I knew I would stick with stock for awhile is helpful.

OP
M

mrmark27

Reaction score
I ended up delaying the purchase to sunday when the new Edge program starts for VZW, I was going to purchase the phone off contract to keep my unlimited data and the sales guy said that with edge I could keep the unlimited and the price would be the same anyway.

How does running games and apps off the SD Card compare to running them off the internal storage? I was originally going with the 32 gig model so I had plenty of room to store games but i'm wondering if apps and games will run smooth off the SD card. Any experience/feedback?

GVLBob

Reaction score
I ended up delaying the purchase to sunday when the new Edge program starts for VZW, I was going to purchase the phone off contract to keep my unlimited data and the sales guy said that with edge I could keep the unlimited and the price would be the same anyway.

How does running games and apps off the SD Card compare to running them off the internal storage? I was originally going with the 32 gig model so I had plenty of room to store games but i'm wondering if apps and games will run smooth off the SD card. Any experience/feedback?

With the EDGE program, aren't you paying full retail for the phone spread over 24 months? Have them work out the monthly charge for the options you are considering before making your final decision. Or Google Verizon Edge and read the article.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SallyC

Reaction score
I'm picking up the S4 tonight to upgrade from my dying nexus. Is there any way to transfer over my text messages from the nexus to the S4 or will I haveto start with a clean slate?

Also, do you guys have any other tips or anything that I should do with her after I get the new phone tonight? Is rooting still an option or is that now blocked?

Thanks!

I just did this with MyBackup Pro. I believe the free version, My Backup, will also do this. Worked easily and without a hitch. If you don't use Gmail or Google calendar, it can also back that data up along with your apps.

OP
M

mrmark27

Reaction score
With the EDGE program, aren't you paying full retail for the phone spread over 24 months? Have them work out the monthly charge for the options you are considering before making your final decision. Or Google Verizon Edge and read the article.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

From the way they described it, you pay retail up front and then the phone devalues each month by 1/24th for what you'll get when you trade it in toward a new phone. I was going to pay retail anyway to keep my unlimited(dont have any upgrades and my nexus is pretty much dead) so I figure its worth it to get the edge program vs just paying retail w/o it.

at this point, my only decision is 16 v 32 gig. my only concern is how apps and games run off the SD card or if they need to be on the internal memory.