Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
I'm having a bit of a problem here, since I've flashed the kaosfroyo ROM there's no longer an option to connect my phone to HTC Sync when I plug in my usb cable. On stock 2.1 it had 3 options, Disk Drive, Charge Only and HTC Sync. Now I only have 1 option and that's the disk drive option. I like using HTC Sync because if I download a .apk from a website I can use HTC Sync to install it from my pc onto my phone. Anyone got any ideas about this ? I also posted once about removing the apps that come with the kaosfroyo like google maps, latitude and twitter ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys ! Thanks !
:blackdroid::droideris::reddroid::motdroidhoriz::greendroid:

Threeball

Reaction score
My understanding is that you can only use Sync with a Sense-based ROM. I could be completely wrong on this, but I believe I read about this in the KaosFroyo thread over at XDA.

If I'm wrong, please, someone correct this.

As a workaround to your problems, I suggest:

Install a good file manager like ES File Manager or Root Explorer. RE has more functions but is a paid app.

Once you've downloaded an apk and placed it on your phone, open your file manager. Navigate to the apk, select, and install. Easy.

To remove unwanted apps: First, MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP! Then use your file manager again. (If you use ES, you'll need to go menu>settings>root options and check both boxes) In ES, touch the little icon on the far left of the toolbar at the top, putting you in the root directory of the phone. Navigate to data/app and system/app and delete the unwanted apps. Be careful here, removing important apps such as the dialer will cause your phone to stop working properly. This will not brick your phone, but you'll have to nand restore and start over. In another thread, BobDammit suggested changing the names of the unwanted apps (to something like applicationx.apk.old) then test the phone a little to know if its safe to remove. This is a wise step when trying this the first couple times.

OP
spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Yeah I knew about putting the apk's on the memory card and installing from there, just was easier for me to use Sync for it. I can live without it though lol.

I do a nandroid backup from the recovery menu correct ? Never done one before so I'm not sure but I think I saw it on the recovery menu.

Just trying to get rid of some of the apps I won't use like Google Maps, Latitude, Twitter and stuff like that. Anyone know of any issues uninstalling these apps ?

Thanks for the help threeball, not trying to be a nag about the nandroid backup but I don't want to go on the Recovery menu and start messing around LOL.

Threeball

Reaction score
Not naggy at all. Yes, its in recovery. I think u go backup/restore then u'll see options for nand backup, nand restore, bart backup, etc.

Oh, and learn from my mistakes, always do a nandroid before u flash anything or mess w data/apps or system/apps. It will save u hours the one time something gets messed up.

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo using DroidForums App

OP
spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Cool, thanks for the advice ! I'll try out the suggestions and let you know if everything went smoothly !

OP
spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Did a nandroid backup, went into file manager and renamed the apps I wanted to get rid of. Phone still worked great so went ahead and uninstalled. Everything worked great, thanks man !

Sent from my FroyoEris using DroidForums App

Sum1Zombie

Reaction score
icon5.gif

dancedroidI rooted my Girlfriend's Eris with KaosFroyo v39 about two months ago. I never updated the Kernel because i didn't know how. Is it recommended to update the Kernel for her rooted Eris? If so then could someone please tell me how? Also since the root she has no GPS capabilities for any app that uses her GPS. everything is on correctly but GPS still don't work. Could someone help me with that also? Thank you

Threeball

Reaction score
Go over to xda and find the thread for cfs kernel by conap. Boot to recovery, wipe dalvik, flash kernel. U'll probly want to calibrate ur battery.

The new kernel might take care of the god issue. If not, consider flashing a diff rom. CELB is next most popular after kaos' then there's all the others (which r very good just later to the party).

Threeball

Reaction score
Sorry. Not "god". Gps. Dammed predictive razzin frazzin. Now that I think about it tho...maybe it will take care of the god issue to!