[Question >.<] Some noob general questions about the RAZR/RAZR Maxx

LaneerKokk34

Reaction score
[Question, PLEASE help~!] Some noob general questions about the RAZR/RAZR Maxx

So I currently have an Incredible S by HTC, and I was looking forward to upgrading to HTC One S but the unavailability of a micro-SD slot really turned me off. After some research seems like the RAZR Maxx seems to be one of the best, if not the best, alternative to the One S.
Though,
I've got some inquires that, apparently, Google couldn't really answer me.

1) USB On-The-Go
Does it fully support this very handy feature? Or only partially?
2) BSI
The camera's sensor DOES have BSI right? So that would mean it would be able to take low light pictures relatively well?
3) TI OMAP 4430 vs 4460
Is there actually a hardware difference between these two processors? Or is the 4460's GPU just clocked slightly faster?

Sorry if it's a lot of questions.
I just need some answers, and if you wanna flame me or anything don't bother commenting.
On my part have I did search this forum but couldn't really find much.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

rpdonald

Reaction score
So I am probably more noob than you so I can only answer a few of you questions. There is a white RAZR, along with a red one, a purple one and good old black. I'm not sure the maxx version comes in all those colors, but my short Google search points to no.

As for wifi direct? As of now it doesn't, but I read on the wifi direct wiki page that that it will come integrated with ICS.

So that's all I got. I hope you get all your questions answered!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
#2. MHL not sure what that is, but there is a micro HDMI port. It allows streaming video to a HDMI device and it also mirrors an image of the system to said device.

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

OP
LaneerKokk34

LaneerKokk34

Reaction score
#2. MHL not sure what that is, but there is a micro HDMI port. It allows streaming video to a HDMI device and it also mirrors an image of the system to said device.

MHL is the ability to mirror an image of the system to said device/streaming video through the micro-USB port.

Thanks for your reply, but could you help me out on this once more?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The maxx does take low light pics, probably not as well as your preferred device.

The omap 4430 and the 4460 are both 4th Gen processors, and are actually different units.. to what extent idk. Here's a link.

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-texas-instruments-omap-4430-and-vs-4460/

Hope this helps??

Also the moto vanquish is about to drop in June or July I HOPE... its a maxx with a better screen and camera...

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
LaneerKokk34 said:
MHL is the ability to mirror an image of the system to said device/streaming video through the micro-USB port.

Thanks for your reply, but could you help me out on this once more?

It has micro HDMI to do that... doesn't work via USB that I know of...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So I currently have an Incredible S by HTC, and I was looking forward to upgrading to HTC One S but the unavailability of a micro-SD slot really turned me off. After some research seems like the RAZR Maxx seems to be one of the best, if not the best, alternative to the One S.

1) USB On-The-Go
Does it fully support this very handy feature? Or only partially?
2) BSI
The camera's sensor DOES have BSI right? So that would mean it would be able to take low light pictures relatively well?
3) TI OMAP 4430 vs 4460
Is there actually a hardware difference between these two processors? Or is the 4460's GPU just clocked slightly faster?

There will be no flaming on 94lt1's and my watches!

Your questions are relevant and worthy of explanation.

I'll go last to first.

3) The TI OMAP 4430 used in the RAZR is slightly different than the one described in the link 94lt1 provided, but essentially the same in that it is exactly the same physical chip, manufactured in the same labs, and may even be off the same slab as one that is described in that article. The difference is that the chip in our RAZR is actually clocked at 1.2Ghz, rather than the standard rated 1.0Ghz, which is a significant improvement. The way this was accomplished is that once manufacturing is completed the manufacturer will put the chips through a long burn-in (upwards of 24 hours or more), testing every feature and instruction it is designed to perform in sequence, to determine if the chip is functioning normally in every way.

While testing, they push the chips to higher and higher clock speeds and monitor their temperatures. Based on internal resistance levels of individual transistors on the boards as the speed is increased up to and above rated clock speed (overclocked), the temperature will either rise quickly (which could identify a bad chip), rise nominally and within normal ranges (which would be sent to market), or rise slightly (which identifies a chip with exceptional performance aspects).

Also stability is monitored, so chips that begin to show problems performing expected functions at or below rated speed will be deemed unsuitable for distribution and may actually either be disposed of or sold with a much lower clock speed rating as "Power Saver" or some other moniker, whereas those that perform at or above expected ranges will be distributed accordingly. It's those chips that exceed typical performance, both in clock speed and stability at higher speeds that are then marked "Turbo" by Texas Instruments and sold with ratings that are higher than design specifications.

It has been said that the TI 4430 OMAP in the Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX is "Overclocked" to 1.2Ghz, and although technically when compared to its design rating is true, based on its tested performance the manufacturer has certified it to run at that speed so by way of manufacturer's warranty it is not actually considered "Overclocked".

2) Regarding the Droid RAZR XT912 (and it's baby brother MAXX), I've been unable to find any mention of BSI (Backside Sensor Illumination), except on this site AnandTech - Motorola Droid RAZR Review - A Better Clad Bionic. Even Motorola itself doesn't mention the BSI on the XT912, and the most well respected review sites also make no mention of the feature on the XT912, however I did find mention on the XT910 (*overseas model*) of BSI-2 for the camera, and although it has been speculated that the RAZR has the same camera as the Bionic, the OmniVision OV8820 8 MP CMOS, I can't confirm that either, and also can't confirm that model camera of having BSI. Perhaps somebody else can find definitive information that can either confirm or deny.

1) USB On-The-Go has also been proven to work on the XT910...

[video=youtube;WbmhDtF9FqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbmhDtF9FqY[/video]

...with a standard USB Host cable, but again sadly on the XT912 although it can work you have to jump through some hoops.

From XDA Develpoers (xda-developers - View Single Post - USB OTG (USB host functionality) on Razr - Working!

The USBOTG cable HAS TO give power to the RAZR and to the devices you're connecting to it, otherwise the RAZR won't recognize the Dock Connected status.
Be sure your AC power is 5V with at least 1A, otherwise there won't be enough amperage for RAZR and the connected device and since the RAZR has got the priority, you'll only charge the device's battery and your connected USB device won't have the necessary power for working correctly.

ROOT is not needed for OTG USBHost operation as the device has been configured by Moto to work in USBHost Mode.
When you connect an external pendrive, the device will automatically create a device node and will automatically mount the connected pendrive/USBHDD in a directory created in /mnt.

I've successfully connected all the device I was able to use on ATRIX, including keyboards, mouses, an 8GB PenDrive and a 500GB external HDD.

Also from XDA (
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19772144&postcount=24), and finally (xda-developers - View Single Post - USB OTG (USB host functionality) on Razr - Working!). There are more on that thread with additional information.

Cheers!
:biggrin:

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The maxx does take low light pics, probably not as well as your preferred device.

The omap 4430 and the 4460 are both 4th Gen processors, and are actually different units.. to what extent idk. Here's a link.

Difference Between Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 and 4460 | Difference Between

Hope this helps??

Also the moto vanquish is about to drop in June or July I HOPE... its a maxx with a better screen and camera...

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

Wouldn't it be funny if it was actually a misspelling, instead of Motorola Vanquish, it were instead Motorola Vanish, as in never came to market! :blink:

OP
LaneerKokk34

LaneerKokk34

Reaction score
It has micro HDMI to do that... doesn't work via USB that I know of...

There will be no flaming on 94lt1's and my watches!

Your questions are relevant and worthy of explanation.

I'll go last to first.

3) The TI OMAP 4430 used in the RAZR is slightly different than the one described in the link 94lt1 provided, but essentially the same in that it is exactly the same physical chip, manufactured in the same labs, and may even be off the same slab as one that is described in that article. The difference is that the chip in our RAZR is actually clocked at 1.2Ghz, rather than the standard rated 1.0Ghz, which is a significant improvement. The way this was accomplished is that once manufacturing is completed the manufacturer will put the chips through a long burn-in (upwards of 24 hours or more), testing every feature and instruction it is designed to perform in sequence, to determine if the chip is functioning normally in every way.

While testing, they push the chips to higher and higher clock speeds and monitor their temperatures. Based on internal resistance levels of individual transistors on the boards as the speed is increased up to and above rated clock speed (overclocked), the temperature will either rise quickly (which could identify a bad chip), rise nominally and within normal ranges (which would be sent to market), or rise slightly (which identifies a chip with exceptional performance aspects).

Also stability is monitored, so chips that begin to show problems performing expected functions at or below rated speed will be deemed unsuitable for distribution and may actually either be disposed of or sold with a much lower clock speed rating as "Power Saver" or some other moniker, whereas those that perform at or above expected ranges will be distributed accordingly. It's those chips that exceed typical performance, both in clock speed and stability at higher speeds that are then marked "Turbo" by Texas Instruments and sold with ratings that are higher than design specifications.

It has been said that the TI 4430 OMAP in the Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX is "Overclocked" to 1.2Ghz, and although technically when compared to its design rating is true, based on its tested performance the manufacturer has certified it to run at that speed so by way of manufacturer's warranty it is not actually considered "Overclocked".

2) Regarding the Droid RAZR XT912 (and it's baby brother MAXX), I've been unable to find any mention of BSI (Backside Sensor Illumination), except on this site AnandTech - Motorola Droid RAZR Review - A Better Clad Bionic. Even Motorola itself doesn't mention the BSI on the XT912, and the most well respected review sites also make no mention of the feature on the XT912, however I did find mention on the XT910 (*overseas model*) of BSI-2 for the camera, and although it has been speculated that the RAZR has the same camera as the Bionic, the OmniVision OV8820 8 MP CMOS, I can't confirm that either, and also can't confirm that model camera of having BSI. Perhaps somebody else can find definitive information that can either confirm or deny.

1) USB On-The-Go has also been proven to work on the XT910...

[video=youtube;WbmhDtF9FqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbmhDtF9FqY[/video]

...with a standard USB Host cable, but again sadly on the XT912 although it can work you have to jump through some hoops.

From XDA Develpoers (xda-developers - View Single Post - USB OTG (USB host functionality) on Razr - Working!

The USBOTG cable HAS TO give power to the RAZR and to the devices you're connecting to it, otherwise the RAZR won't recognize the Dock Connected status.
Be sure your AC power is 5V with at least 1A, otherwise there won't be enough amperage for RAZR and the connected device and since the RAZR has got the priority, you'll only charge the device's battery and your connected USB device won't have the necessary power for working correctly.

ROOT is not needed for OTG USBHost operation as the device has been configured by Moto to work in USBHost Mode.
When you connect an external pendrive, the device will automatically create a device node and will automatically mount the connected pendrive/USBHDD in a directory created in /mnt.

I've successfully connected all the device I was able to use on ATRIX, including keyboards, mouses, an 8GB PenDrive and a 500GB external HDD.

Also from XDA (
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19772144&postcount=24), and finally (xda-developers - View Single Post - USB OTG (USB host functionality) on Razr - Working!). There are more on that thread with additional information.

Cheers!
:biggrin:

Huge thanks for your help guys! FoxKat's explanations was very detailed. :icon_ lala:Decided to get a RAZR Maxx :) dancedroid dancedroid

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huge thanks for your help guys! FoxKat's explanations was very detailed. :icon_ lala:Decided to get a RAZR Maxx :) dancedroid dancedroid

Congratulations and welcome to the MAXXed OUT CLUB! :icon_ banana:

Just remember, if you phone will be picked up at the Verizon (or Authorized) Phone Center Store, when the rep hands it to you powered up, you may use it briefly but you MUST follow the meter calibration procedures below or you risk running into big battery problems later. You are supposed to charge the phone to 100% BEFORE you power up initially (and yes, it's in the instruction manual).

If it is being shipped to you CHARGE FIRST with POWER OFF for at least 3 HOURS! To check charge level at any time, briefly tap and release either Volume Up or Volume Down. Once it hits 100%, you're good to go. Use it until it reaches 15% and signals "Low battery", then Power Off (Press and hold power, then select "Power off" from the menu. Finally charge just like above to 100%. From there, you will be in great shape to benefit from the huge powerhouse stored in your phone.

Perform that three step process once every 2-3 months (heavy users more often), and you'll maintain a tight relationship between the battery's actual levels and what the meter is telling you they are. Finally NEVER let it get to 0%, and if it ever does get to 0% (and shuts down on its own), find a charger FAST and let it charge once again to 100%.

Follow these simple instructions and you should never have a battery problem. :biggrin: