Question re sync frequency w. Gmail

snmemx

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the Droid (former long-time Berry user) and have a question about the frequency of syncing w. Gmail. I've got my gmail (it's acually google apps) account set to full sync w. my Droid and it tends to sync quite quickly (approaching, if not equaling, my experience w. Blackberry Enterprise Server). That said, I've noticed several periods of time when no emails arrive on my Droid, however if I select (refresh), several emails will stream in, some as much as an hour old.

I was under the impression that if you use a Gmail account, it's pushing emails out to the phone. Are there any "secret settings" or steps I need to go through on either the Droid or Gmail side to make it sync like a Berry?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Mojo

Reaction score
Gmail should do push....

Check to make sure you have auto sync set up by going to...
settings> accounts and sync> and check the box that has auto sync.

OP
S

snmemx

Reaction score
Gmail should do push....

Check to make sure you have auto sync set up by going to...
settings> accounts and sync> and check the box that has auto sync.

Thanks. I checked all the settings last night auto-sync is definitely on. Then this morning I noticed no emails came in overnight and when I hit "refresh", 5 came streaming in.

Is there something in Android that adjusts the sync frequency based on battery life (my battery ran out late yesterday)?

Also, I thought maybe all my "setting tweaking" might have undone something, so I went ahead and powered down the phone this morning and powered it back on. I know when I was in "blackberry hell", battery pulls to reset the phone were a regular thing...do you need to "clean the memory" on the Droid by powering it down occasionally?

Mojo

Reaction score
That is weird that you are having to manually refresh for your email. I have not had any problems with gmail. That is the only setting I know of.

As for battery pulls I try not to do those because t could cause ill effects on the Droid. This is way more like a mini laptop when compared to a Blackberry (I came from bb too) but I do recommended to power cycle from time to time. I think it does help with performance.

OP
S

snmemx

Reaction score
That is weird that you are having to manually refresh for your email. I have not had any problems with gmail. That is the only setting I know of.

As for battery pulls I try not to do those because t could cause ill effects on the Droid. This is way more like a mini laptop when compared to a Blackberry (I came from bb too) but I do recommended to power cycle from time to time. I think it does help with performance.

Yeah, I was really surprised last night when I hit refresh at 10pm and had an email come in date-stamped at 9pm. I'm wondering if it was battery related...my battery was pretty drained by then.

I've adjusted my screen brightness and think I'll leave it alone today to see how it performs. I know that the emails coming into gmail alerting my to new forum posts just now are hitting my Droid at the some instant as they hit gmail, so it's working now.

As a former "blackberry power user", it's hard for me not to want to tweak the Droid, but that's probably no smarter than trying to tweak (or jailbreak) an iPhone...just asking for problems.

Thanks again for the comments!

Mojo

Reaction score
Yeah I agree it is strange to not try and tweek my Droid, or scower the web looking for a leaked OS like I did with my Berry. I am really excited to see how this supposed update on the 11th is going to fix some minor annoyances. I hope it was just a low battery for you causing your email issues. Keep us posted on what you find.

wildrage

Reaction score
From what I've been reading on this site and others, this is a relatively common problem. It's the reason I switched back to my blackberry until the update comes out.

Most of the time it syncs fine, but sometimes when I hit refresh, I'd get e-mails from 1-2 hours ago.

I think I narrowed it down to the phone going in and out of service / 3g. For some reason, when it goes back into service, the syncing stops for me until I do a soft reset.

Ivan

Reaction score
I have been tracking threads like this one. My phone is doing the same thing with the emails not coming through immediately (sometimes hours late). After looking through many threads I still haven't found the answer yet. The battery doesn't have an effect on the sync issue because mine does it while plugged in and even unplugged with full battery. Seems like a serious problem that a lot of people are having and yet I haven't read about a fix or solution yet.

Does anyone know any answers?

okeeffm

Reaction score
Try gmail setting labels and set inbox to sync all instead of 7 days...that seemed to fix it for me

atl_g8r

Reaction score
is anyone else having this problem using a power manager app? I just uninstalled my power manager app, hopefully that fixes it.