Gmail Syncing

alienware777

Reaction score
Hello. Recently, my Droid does not sync with Gmail correctly. I am getting the emails sent to my account, but when I delete or move them, it does not sync back to the internet gmail. So I delete it on my phone, and then I have to delete it on my computer. How do I fix this? Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm confused as to what you are saying about your gmail not syncing correctly. What I would do is have your regular email sync every hour and have gmail sync your mail for you like it's suppose to.

When you say it's not removing it from the computer are you referring to gmail or some other client?

I'm not quite picking up what you're putting down. Do you have your email forwarded to gmail using imap? If you don't you should.

OP
A

alienware777

Reaction score
Ya sorry, it is a bit unclear. Ok, story time.

I hear my droid go "droooid" so I pick it up, and read the email. After I am done, I delete it. Later that day (like 4 hours later), I go on my computer to check my gmail. I find that the emails I deleted earlier are still there, unopened.

My computer will sync to my droid, but my droid will not sync to my computer.

Hope that makes it clear.:)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya sorry, it is a bit unclear. Ok, story time.

I hear my droid go "droooid" so I pick it up, and read the email. After I am done, I delete it. Later that day (like 4 hours later), I go on my computer to check my gmail. I find that the emails I deleted earlier are still there, unopened.

My computer will sync to my droid, but my droid will not sync to my computer.

Hope that makes it clear.:)

And the client that you are using is your droid, right? But when you go back to your gmail on your computer you still see the mail there.

Is there any kind of tag that you see attached with the email? Do you see it in your in box or is it in the all mail?

Finally make sure that you have Google sync checked on your settings, click on [email protected] and make sure that gmail is clicked to sync. It should not be showing up in you in box unless you go right to it immediately afterwards.

OP
A

alienware777

Reaction score
Is there any kind of tag that you see attached with the email? Do you see it in your in box or is it in the all mail?

There are no tags, and btw this is just in the inbox. No special area.

Finally make sure that you have Google sync checked on your settings, click on [email protected] and make sure that gmail is clicked to sync. It should not be showing up in you in box unless you go right to it immediately afterwards.

When I go on my phone, click on gmail app, click menu--labels. It says
"Number of days to sync -- 4
labels
Inbox --4
..... etc"

Does this mean it only syncs back to the computer every 4 days? If I bring it down, it only goes to 1 then 999 if I go lower. So should I just put it at 1?

OP
A

alienware777

Reaction score
Bump.... Does anyone know? When I delete emails on the droid, it wont delete them from the computer. I then recieve the same email every day until I delete it on the computer.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I reviewed your settings with what I have.

Here's what I have: In box Sync 4 days, Sent Sync 4 days, imap/trash sync all.

If you have got that set that way then I'm out of ideas. It should be deleting your email shortly after you delete it from your phone.

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP, are you synching your gmail through the default email client? there are two email clients on the DROID. GMAIL and Email.

OP
A

alienware777

Reaction score
@Hookbill -- I have everything set that way except for the imap/trash sync all. Where did you acess that? I can't find it.

@640k -- I am using the Gmail client.

Silver Member
Reaction score
when you open your email after a notification, are you opening it from the notification window and have you ever set settings in teh default email client. the only reason i ask is the difference in how the two work. it's possible to setup your gmail accoutn in the default client as a POP3 account, which would exhibit this behavior.

test this for me. send yourself an email and then mark it as read online. i want you to observe two things:

1. send yourself the email and WAIT for the notification. then mark it as read online. come back 5 min later, or so, and check the device to see if the message was read.

2. send yourself the email and mark it as read online BEFORE you get the notification. you should still get the email on your device, but it will show up as read.

OP
A

alienware777

Reaction score
Test #1 -- Marked as read
Test #2 -- Marked as read

Going from the computer to droid is perfect, Going from the droid to computer is not.

Also, I just noticed that I cannot send emails from my phone either. This is presumably the same thing, the droid will not send to the computer.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I had a thread about this issue in the first week of January, had the same thing happen on mine and ended up having to do a factory reset then everything went back to normal.