Question about Verizon Insurance - Bought an S3 from an individual.

DVR6

Reaction score
Just purchased a new condition S3 from an individual who bought it from Verizon for contract price. He had it 3 weeks and then sold it to me. I activated it this past Sunday. Called Verizon last evening and wanted to place insurance on it. The rep said that he could add insurance on the phone, as far as Verizons system was concerned it would take it because I activated within 30 days. He then said if I did file a claim that Asurion would deny it because I am not the original owner of the phone. He said Asurion's system will be able to tell I am not the original owner and will not cover. This doesn't sound right to me. I would think if Verizon adds insurance and I pay the monthly fee they would have to honor it? Anyone have experience/advice?

carguy

Reaction score
Money is better spent on a nice case

Sent from my Gs3 while driving

OP
D

DVR6

Reaction score
Yep your correct. I am holding out for the SEIDIO Obex case coming out later this month...

carguy

Reaction score
I want one to. Just saw pricing, $79.95.... w/ 'old people' holster $89.95 :blink:

Last edited:
OP
D

DVR6

Reaction score
It is expensive. Looks worth it to me though...

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they add insurance, and you have a claim, Asurion will deny the claim for sure. Hold onto your money because you won't win. I don't just say this as a blanket statement, I once worked for Big Red in CS.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Is there any way to insure a phone bought from a private party?

Me.

Reaction score
Called Verizon today after reading this thread to see if my insurance covered this phone. Long story, short. I told them I bought the phone, new, in box from a store that's not an authorized Verizon dealer and that I didn't buy it as an upgrade for a subsidized price. All of this should have excluded me from getting insurance on this phone but after a three way call to Ashuron (sp?), they tested my phone. #1. I had called them from my new phone, so I can (obviously) place a call. #2. They sent me a text message with a code number, once I told them the correct code, it was determined that my phone could receive a text #3. They had me hang up and called me back to make sure the phone could receive calls. After all this, it was determined that my phone was in working order and my insurance policy starts tomorrow. It even covers cracked screen, water damage and if lost/stolen. $5.18 a month and a $99 deductible per incident. Plus, if I buy another unsubsidized or used phone in the future, three months after it's activation (without any claims) they will deem it as a fully functioning device and I will have insurance on that phone as well. Bottom line is, they normally only insure new phones, bought at an authorized Verizon dealer, because that way they know it is fully functioning and nothing is wrong with it at the time of purchase. In my case, I bugged them until they would test my phone, to determine that it was in good working order and once they did, I got a full insurance policy on my phone.

carguy

Reaction score
$99 deductible? Bigger waste than I thought. Good luck.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
I have to drop assurion.. I've had it since my OG droid and haven't used it once.. Besides with sim card swaps so easy now. I figure they will squirm out of a claim anyway since I will use a different phone now and then.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Me.

Reaction score
carguy said:
$99 deductible? Bigger waste than I thought. Good luck.

I can't use my upgrade because I'll lose my unlimited data. I paid $450 for this phone... I'll gladly pay a $99 deductible to replace it, if it breaks.

jimg50

Reaction score
I got mine same way. List call customer service after you activate it by putting your SIM card in. Tell them you want to check your insurance is active on your acct. Don't say anything about buying it some where else. It is better using the phone. Stores check where you got it and put you thru a third degree.