question about encrypt phone feature ....

zero7404

Reaction score
i want to use the encrypt phone feature, but i typically don't use a screen lock password or pin. the feature requires this. i don't mind having one set to encrypt/decrypt the phone, but i don't want to put in a password or pin every time the screen locks.

if i specify a pin or password and then encrypt, can i disable the screen lock afterwards ?

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
is anybody using the encrypt phone feature ?

posted via android ....

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I think the reason you are not getting a answer is that it is really useless to go through the trouble of encrypting a device .....and then leaving the screen unlocked!!!!

It is like building a bank with with an expensive vault then leaving all of the doors and safety deposit boxes unlocked and opened.:blink:

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
i see your point ... but the max time i can set for no password lock is 1/2 hr ... i'd want something like 2, 4 or even 6 hrs.

posted via android ....

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
i warmed up to entering a pin ... so now im going to encrypt the phone ...

one question about this: if i have cwm recovery installed, does that affect this encryption ? if so then id want to uninstall cwm recovery

posted via android ....

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
i warmed up to entering a pin ... so now im going to encrypt the phone ...

one question about this: if i have cwm recovery installed, does that affect this encryption ? if so then id want to uninstall cwm recovery

posted via android ....

Being rooted and encrypted is complicated sometimes. Having CWM installed won't hurt anything, but if you ever want to flash anything, you'll need to follow specific steps or it won't work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
by flashing do you mean roms or any zips like animations or patches etc ?

i dont plan on romming but i do plan on updating to 4.1 when verizon releases it.

posted via android ....

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
by flashing do you mean roms or any zips like animations or patches etc ?

i dont plan on romming but i do plan on updating to 4.1 when verizon releases it.

posted via android ....
Yes, flashing refers to ROMs and anything not OTA really.

dollarbang

Reaction score
Concerning encryption: I encrypted my Droid Razr, miskeyed the encryption key pattern, and almost had to send it in for service. :hail:

The Tech showed me how to unencrypt the phone by rebooting and executing a factory data reset. :hail:

I didn't lose any data, let me repeat that, I didn't lose any data. The device was open to whomever wanted to use it. :blink:

What I'm saying is that even with encryption and password protection, the phone is still open to be used, and your data
still resides on the phone. The only protection I had was that I had to download all of the APPs I was using. :angry:

At least all of my email was gone, but any attachments that I had previously saved were still available, and any files I had
copied from my PC too. :mad:

Bottom line....doing a factory reset should be just that, a total wipe of the onboard HD and SD, then load the Android OS. :p
At least, this time, I didn't have the other problem when I updated the OS to ICS and Google Calendar would not sync.dancedroid

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
so the encryption can be bypassed (somewhat) that's not right ....

posted via android ....

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
so the encryption can be bypassed (somewhat) that's not right ....

posted via android ....

Kind of. The files become encrypted once you boot into the OS. From recovery, I believe they are actually unencrypted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2