Exchange security?

ryno2d

Reaction score
So I went to set up my work email on the phone and for the first time, after having it on my OG Droid and the Rezound. When I went to set it up on the Nexus, all these security things needed to be set, including

Erase All date
Set Password Rules
Monitor screen-unlock attempts
Lock the screen
Set storage encryption
Disable cameras

WTF???? I'm a cop and I suppose I work for the government but wtf is this all about?? I've never had an issue with any of my other phones. Anyone know what this is all about?

pchakmak

Reaction score
Ditto. Asked the same thing in another thread. I'm pretty sure it doesn't do it. ONLY if account gets hacked or something. But scared me enough to wait see what people say.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
R

ryno2d

Reaction score
Hopefully we can get some sort of feedback on it....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
R

ryno2d

Reaction score
Not yet no. I'm thinking it might be and ice cream sandwich deal. I called my IT department and they said they do not require any special privileges. I am curious if anyone knows of any work around or they tried to allow it and everything works fine....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've since removed the password/lock and my exchange still seems to be working. Otherwise, perhaps we can swap out an older version of the Email.apk to eliminate the need for password security.

Reaction score
This has everything to do with the exchange mail server, permissions are set there for mobile devices. I know because I put them in place for our firm. We are currently running Exchange 2003 and it does not have an option to allow face unlock or pattern unlocks so we're forced to used pin codes. I enjoyed using the face-unlock feature until I put my exchange email on there, now I'm stuck with the pin.

Didn't bother me as much on my iPhone4 because there was no other unlock option, but now I feel like I'm missing out on the cool (though not too secure) face-unlock.

pchakmak

Reaction score
This has everything to do with the exchange mail server, permissions are set there for mobile devices. I know because I put them in place for our firm. We are currently running Exchange 2003 and it does not have an option to allow face unlock or pattern unlocks so we're forced to used pin codes. I enjoyed using the face-unlock feature until I put my exchange email on there, now I'm stuck with the pin.

Didn't bother me as much on my iPhone4 because there was no other unlock option, but now I feel like I'm missing out on the cool (though not too secure) face-unlock.

And what about the "factory reset" and "disable camera"??? That's the warning that comes up when I'm trying to set up my corporate account.

Reaction score
And what about the "factory reset" and "disable camera"??? That's the warning that comes up when I'm trying to set up my corporate account.

That just means that your work-admins have the ability to remotely wipe your phone if you should report it lost or stolen. I noticed the disable camera notification on mine as well but I know for a fact that we do not enforce that, but it is an option. I think the G-Nex displays all the possibilities of what could happen once you accept the exchange security permissions. It doesn't necessarily reflect what is actually enforced, you'll have to ask your admins or find out once you accept the permissions. Of course you can delete the exchange account and get all your "cool-stuff" back.

nbucko

Reaction score
Like what was mentioned above this is set by the exchange server. The server administrator is requiring these security features be set. The the factory reset is in case the phone is lost or stolen they can send a factory reset to the phone to remove emails on the phone and remove access to that email account. I'm not sure what the camera thing is about though.

On my og I was using enhanced email which allowed you to ignore the server security settings meaning you didn't have to put in a pin/pattern but I've found that enhanced email isn't working correctly for ics. I had constant force closes. Hopefully they will add in ics support soon so I can use this again.

Last edited:

Five-0

Reaction score
My LE Agency is the same way. I am thinking about encrypting the phone. Granted I can locate the phone if lost or stolen, but if it is stolen I see most thieves taking the battery out. With the encryption option provided under the phones security settings they would have to enter a pin to unlock the data on the phone sooooo...