Question about Data Pkg and Unlimited Text Messaging

kcook323

Reaction score
Because I have absolutely no idea how it all works, have I been paying for unlimited text messaging in vain? I'm not sure if I need it with the data package. (Actually, my text messaging has slowed down tremendously since I got my Droid, but that's a whole 'nuther post). I just don't want to pay extra anymore, if I don't have to. And, if I do still need it, and it's a foolish question, pretend I didn't even post this question. :blush:

harrellj

Reaction score
If you text, you'll need some sort of text plan, unless you use Google Voice. The data plan covers data (not texts), which also covers emails/instant messages/etc. Google Voice offers free texting using data, but the interface is clunky (it is more geared to visual voicemail rather than texting) and it doesn't support MMS.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe VZW offers an unlimited ($20 per month) or 250 per month for $5. You can view your minutes, text, and data by logging into your VZW account. If you do not have one it is rather easy to create and set up. Google Verizon Wireless and look for my account.

OP
kcook323

kcook323

Reaction score
Thank you both. I'm pretty sure when I got my Droid that I knew this, but I had a "duh" moment a few days ago and started doubting. Thought I would double check. I don't text that much because the text messaging feature on the Droid stinks. I like opening forwarded texts and seeing a picture and hearing the music/sound at the same time. Of course, for all the features I do and can use, it's worth the sacrifice. :)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
What text app are you using? If the app is the issue check out handcent and chomp both are free in the market.