Qualcomm Puts Android On TouchPad First

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
[video=youtube;DmpmlOpvoC0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmpmlOpvoC0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Qualcomm seems to have been playing around with HP's tablet before they even canceled the thing, because somehow they already had Android running on it. The video above is of a customer that has a special version of the tablet that came with Ubuntu stock and a special booting for Android 2.2. Apparently this was all the work of Qualcomm-- the makers of the chipset the TouchPad runs on.

There are still no currently available method for consumers like us to get Android "popping" on the TouchPad, but we'll have to wait and see. This goes to show that it is possible to run Android on the tablet, and maybe if you're lucky, Qualcomm will let slip the directions to make it happen.

Via: Androidcentral

Last edited:

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
It's only a matter of time now before someone at Qualcomm lets this leak. :)

I wish I'd picked up one of these over the weekend.

nikecar

Reaction score
It's only a matter of time now before someone at Qualcomm lets this leak. :)

I wish I'd picked up one of these over the weekend.
no lie. I thought about it when it first came out, but the wife is still smarting from my new phone, but in hindsight, I would have and given it to her for schooling.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
this is fake. it didnt come preinstalled. can you not see how the guy is careful about what he catches on camera. when he zooms in on th OS version, he "quickly" zooms out so that we cant see what the rest of the menu shows. and its quite blurry

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
this is fake. it didnt come preinstalled. can you not see how the guy is careful about what he catches on camera. when he zooms in on th OS version, he "quickly" zooms out so that we cant see what the rest of the menu shows. and its quite blurry

I wasn't able to watch the YouTube video, as the network firewall at my job blocks it. Even if the video is fake (which wouldn't surprise me), I expect to see a successful Honeycomb port running on this thing relatively soon, considering the amount of support this device is getting from the dev community. I don't know why you'd want Froyo on a tablet anyway. :blink:

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Also, the article even states that the TouchPad booted into Ubuntu before Froyo loaded up. Maybe this was an emulator of some sort?

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
This tablet is for sale @ eBay now..... Running android 2.2 OS :)

HP TouchPad 32GB running Android | eBay

Nice find. having said that....... ANYONE who pays 700.00 for a tablet seriously needs to be slapped with a brick. That's just plain stupid. Damn thing is 99.99 (or 149.00 for 32GB) just because someone put android on it does NOT make it worth any more than any other Tablet out there.