Qualcomm Demos Netflix & Dual Core

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
[video=youtube;9aC9RpkT6bk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aC9RpkT6bk&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Netflix App on the LG Revolution with Qualcomm Snapdragon at MWC - Phandroid.com[/video]

Phandroid spent a few minutes over at the Qualcomm station at MWC and they posted a video of their experience. The video shows off the rarely seen Netflix application for Android. The Qualomm rep goes into detail how they are making this more possible with their chips. The video also demos their latest dual core CPU that's said to have a faster clock speed than current CPU's with similar capabilities.

Enjoy the video.

Source: Netflix for Android Previewed on LG Revolution, Quick Look at Qualcomm’s Next-Gen Multi-Core CPU [MWC] [Video] | Android Phone Fans

Last edited by a moderator:

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
This is starting to get annoying; so many demos that demonstrate two things: 1) The internet connection in the demo area is weak. 2) It doesn't matter how many cores the phone's cpu has it still doesn't function flawlessly. I've yet to see an Android phone demoed that makes me want to trade in my Droid 1... that's just sad. Most multi-core phones aren't even being used at their full potential because only a small handful of apps (typically games) utilize the extra cores. The Android OS doesn't seem to fully utilize all the cores yet. Aside from the issue Steve Jobs had with WiFi at the demo of the iPhone 4 and aside from the network issues with AT&T I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone video where someone clicks on an app icon and gets a blank screen or some other obscure anomaly. I briefly tinkered with a display-model iPAD at a Sam's Club and while the short period of time I spent with it wasn't enough to make me salivate I was able to play with several apps on the device without the slightest flutter or hint of a "gremlin." Unfortunately I think Google and more importantly the hardware manufactures need to step up their game and stop doing these half-a$$ demos.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is starting to get annoying; so many demos that demonstrate two things: 1) The internet connection in the demo area is weak. 2) It doesn't matter how many cores the phone's cpu has it still doesn't function flawlessly. I've yet to see an Android phone demoed that makes me want to trade in my Droid 1... that's just sad. Most multi-core phones aren't even being used at their full potential because only a small handful of apps (typically games) utilize the extra cores. The Android OS doesn't seem to fully utilize all the cores yet. Aside from the issue Steve Jobs had with WiFi at the demo of the iPhone 4 and aside from the network issues with AT&T I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone video where someone clicks on an app icon and gets a blank screen or some other obscure anomaly. I briefly tinkered with a display-model iPAD at a Sam's Club and while the short period of time I spent with it wasn't enough to make me salivate I was able to play with several apps on the device without the slightest flutter or hint of a "gremlin." Unfortunately I think Google and more importantly the hardware manufactures need to step up their game and stop doing these half-a$$ demos.

I agree with you.

If you are going to make a video to showcase your hardware or software, make the effort to get a decent internet connection. I too want to see what these things have to offer, but get annoyed when the person failed to prepare or do their homework, and sits there like a moron making excuses about the poor internet speed.

Here's a clue, the video recording is digital, you are not wasting a reel of film. Do a damned "dry run" and if the performance is not up to par, figure it out, get a good connection and then shoot the stupid video...

Imagine watching video's of car reviews and in every one, the guy lost the key, forgot to put gas in the tank, etc...

Very annoying, and very amateur...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A) It's called a prototype for a reason, some more than others but most of these are not going to market tomorrow

B) The wifi issue is real. It was horrible at CES. There's nothing that can be done about that.

Probably why they give out demo models for bloggers to review immediately before launch. I only care what these devices are and what they claim to do. Those demonstrations are rarely indicative of real world performance, between the not-quite-ready for prime time prototypes and the "rigged" demo that isn't going to show you the sketchier stuff.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
A) It's called a prototype for a reason, some more than others but most of these are not going to market tomorrow

B) The wifi issue is real. It was horrible at CES. There's nothing that can be done about that.

Probably why they give out demo models for bloggers to review immediately before launch. I only care what these devices are and what they claim to do. Those demonstrations are rarely indicative of real world performance, between the not-quite-ready for prime time prototypes and the "rigged" demo that isn't going to show you the sketchier stuff.

Still, it is nice to have a test drive before you buy a car, and if the sales guy keeps losing the key or forgot to fill the tank, or the tire was flat, it sorta sucks...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Still, it is nice to have a test drive before you buy a car, and if the sales guy keeps losing the key or forgot to fill the tank, or the tire was flat, it sorta sucks...

Agreed, but aside from the wifi problem I didn't really see an issue, although maybe a bit bumbling (trying to do the search was the worst by far). The other device was not his, although I tend to agree it shouldn't have been hard to be well versed in the whopping THREE devices he had there.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

Agreed, but aside from the wifi problem I didn't really see an issue, although maybe a bit bumbling (trying to do the search was the worst by far). The other device was not his, although I tend to agree it shouldn't have been hard to be well versed in the whopping THREE devices he had there.

Exactly. It is the reason why not everyone is a broadcaster. Most people don't know what to do, don't prepare, and don't think fast enough on their feet when something goes wrong. But anyone with a web cam can be an "expert" and "journalist" thanks to YouTube... LOL

And so you have guys out there bumbling around, stammering, making excuses and otherwise just doing a really shoddy and amateur review.

I really love the guys that spend 2 minutes of a 5 minute review talking about the packaging materials... How useless is that? But I guess it is easier than actually knowing and talking about the device itself...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I really love the guys that spend 2 minutes of a 5 minute review talking about the packaging materials... How useless is that? But I guess it is easier than actually knowing and talking about the device itself...

haha, fair enough. I was wondering how many more times he was going to call attention to the bad wifi connection.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
IMO they also could have done more to organize the clutter of cables on that lighted table.