PVMtpServiceStart killing battery

tbolted

Reaction score
I found a couple old threads on this topic, from back in April and May. I hadn't seen it before until this week. I charge my phone fully in the evening, and in the morning it's critically low. PVMtpServiceStart is the service responsible for 90% of that drain. Right now my battery is going down fast after being plugged in all night, and that service is 71% of the use. I can't stop it or figure out what's using it. I've stopped Blockbuster and DRM and a few others, but nothing helped. I was able to stop pvmtpservicestart yesterday, but today it's not showing up other than on battery usage.

All I can think of that's different is that I connected my phone to transfer some pics to my computer, but I've done that plenty of times before without causing <8hr standby on my battery.

Does anyone know what this service is, and more importantly how to stop/remove it? Other than rooting, which I don't want to do right now. Help!

Thanks!

zwegan

Reaction score
I found a couple old threads on this topic, from back in April and May. I hadn't seen it before until this week. I charge my phone fully in the evening, and in the morning it's critically low. PVMtpServiceStart is the service responsible for 90% of that drain. Right now my battery is going down fast after being plugged in all night, and that service is 71% of the use. I can't stop it or figure out what's using it. I've stopped Blockbuster and DRM and a few others, but nothing helped. I was able to stop pvmtpservicestart yesterday, but today it's not showing up other than on battery usage.

All I can think of that's different is that I connected my phone to transfer some pics to my computer, but I've done that plenty of times before without causing <8hr standby on my battery.

Does anyone know what this service is, and more importantly how to stop/remove it? Other than rooting, which I don't want to do right now. Help!

Thanks!

Google is hard to use I hear.

It's the blockbuster app.

Open the app, install the update it is trying to do and then go into the options and turn off automatic updating.

or,

Root and remove the blockbuster app.

or,

Take all of your clothes off and run around your yard yelling lines from Shakespeare

OP
T

tbolted

Reaction score
Gee, why didn't I think of that?

Google is how I found the old threads.

Blockbuster isn't looking for an update, and movie updates are turned off. That's what The Google told me to look for, btw.

Thanks for playing and for being so helpful, though.

zwegan

Reaction score
Gee, why didn't I think of that?

Google is how I found the old threads.

Blockbuster isn't looking for an update, and movie updates are turned off. That's what The Google told me to look for, btw.

Thanks for playing and for being so helpful, though.

Root and delete blockbuster.

jocoze

Reaction score
Its not the BlockBuster app. This issue drove me nuts when I first got my phone. I would go to sleep with it fully charged and it would practically be dead by morning.

PVMtpServiceStart is tied to the media sync on the phone. So, if when you connected the phone to your computer to transfer the photos you used the media sync setting, then PVMtpServiceStart starts. For some reason that I never did figure out, PVMtpServiceStart would get stuck on even after you were no longer connected to your computer. The service should stop after you disconnect, but sometimes it doesn't and then it drains your battery.

Here's what I did to fix the issue. I rooted my phone and then got an app to freeze that process. When you freeze PVMtpServiceStart you won't be able to connect by media sync anymore. But you can just mount it as a disk drive instead and move files as you like. Eventually I just installed a new ROM (CM7) and that service was not longer on my my phone so it wasn't an issue at all.

Hope that helps.

OP
T

tbolted

Reaction score
That helps tremendously, thank you very much. Seemed like it had to be more than just Blockbuster. I haven't seen the issue since the GB update, but I haven't connected again either. But Blockbuster runs all the time and I haven't seen that service running. My default connection is disk drive, but I think the first time I connected it might have defaulted to media sync. Thanks for the info though, now I know what to watch for.