Google maps killing battery...

Erikbal

Reaction score
A couple days ago I noticed my battery drained a lot faster than usual so I checked my usage and maps was running and killed it. I stopped the app and didn't think much of it. A little while later the same thing is happening. The only way I could get it to stop was disabling the app. To me that's just a temporary solution because I use maps for GPS and now when I want to use it I'll have to enable it and reinstall the updates and all of that. Any ideas anyone? 70 some percent of my usage was maps running on its own. I've had this phone since June and this is the first issue I've had with it. I love it otherwise!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
No ideas?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Have you tried just clearing cache and data in Maps? Tried rebooting your phone? Any recent apps that may use maps as well?

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
I tried rebooting the phone. I haven't installed any new apps or anything, nothing changed that would've caused it that I know of.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would try clearing the data and cache of Google Maps. Once that's done I would have it locate manually (so push the location button) and then close the app.

Also do you have location reporting turned on, as well as location history?

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
I don't believe so. I always leave my GPS off when not in use. I will try to enable it again and see what happens.

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
I enabled it and reinstalled the updates and so far so good. Hopefully it was just a fluke!

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
You can use the Greenify app to hibernate it.
So far since reinstalling it had been fine, hopefully it stays that way! Thanks for the suggestion.