PVMtpServiceStart killing battery

jocoze

Reaction score
I have been having an issue with the process called PVMtpServiceStart occasionally draining my battery. I fully charge my battery every evening before I go to sleep. Usually after 6-8 hours of the phone sitting on my nightstand, off charger, with wifi off I will only drop to about 95 percent battery life. However, some nights, even with the same routine, when I wake up the battery is down to around 35 percent. When I check the battery usage PVMtpServiceStart is 89% of my battery use.

I looked it up and most people say this process is related to the blockbuster app and that updating the app and disabling the auto-updates would stop this from running. I had done this long before I started having the battery drain issue, and it still happens all the time.

I have double checked my settings and updates are turned off in the Blockbuster app. If I reboot the phone the process starts running right away. To be safe I have gone in and force stopped the process from running, and I will be fine for a couple of days, but then randomly it starts itself up again and drains my battery.

Does anyone one have any ideas what could be causing this? I'll root my phone if I can be sure that PVMtpServiceStart can be completely deleted so it never runs again if thats what it takes, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Baconberries

Reaction score
I am having the same problem, also on an HTC Thunderbolt. I updated Blockbuster, disabled automatic updates, and still the service starts and drains the battery heavily while I'm not using the phone.

iRenegade

Reaction score
Have you tried to force stop the program? Or reboot since the problem? I had this issue but it hasn't reared its ugly head since I force stopped BlockBuster and this program. Good luck!

OP
J

jocoze

Reaction score
Have you tried to force stop the program? Or reboot since the problem? I had this issue but it hasn't reared its ugly head since I force stopped BlockBuster and this program. Good luck!

I tried force stopping the program, I've rebooted numerous times and it always eventually comes back.

I finally just rooted my phone and installed a program that would allow me to freeze any process. This seems to have solved the issue, but I didn't want to have to root my phone to do so. If anyone finds a non-root solution to this I am still interested.

scottolyer

Reaction score
same issue with my phone is driving me crazy

OMG I am having this same issue. Its usuing up over 80% of my battery! I really hope someone can figure out what the crap this is and how to get rid of it.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Not seeing this issue at all on my TB...Stock.

OP
J

jocoze

Reaction score
It appears that PVMtpServiceStart is related to using the "media sync" usb connection type (whether or not is actually has anything to do with the BlockBuster app as well I don't know).

Since I have my phone rooted, and I am currently "freezing" the PVMtpServiceStart process from ever running, I have found that I can't connect to my computer when the phone is in media sync mode. I have to unfreeze the process and then the phone will connect with the media sync setting.

This doesn't explain why this process is running when not connected to a computer and why it is draining the battery so much, or why it isn't doing it for everyone.

Reaction score
The blockbuster app is hog but you can stop it from doing updates by going to the menu --> settings and Disable Movie Updates. I did that early on an the blockbuster app doesn't run at all unless I open it.

OP
J

jocoze

Reaction score
The blockbuster app is hog but you can stop it from doing updates by going to the menu --> settings and Disable Movie Updates. I did that early on an the blockbuster app doesn't run at all unless I open it.

I did this too, and never touched the app again. My original post only mentions the blockbuster app, because my initial google search about PVMtpServiceStart lead me multiple post on message boards about that service being tied to the blockbuster app. While that may be true, my findings suggest that PVMtpServiceStart (the process that occasionally drains the battery) is somehow related to the media sync usb setting. And the problem still remains.

sedwards666

Reaction score
I have been having problems with PVMtpServicestart basically since the first day a got my Thunderbolt. The best I can find is that this process is related to Digital Rights Management and is constantly updating leading to the battery drain.
So far I have found that the Blockbuster app, USB Media syncing and restarting the phone all start this process. If I go in and force stop the process as soon as I restart my phone it seems to be fine, but if I sync the phone via USB even force stopping the process doesn't seem to work. I have not seen anything to indicate that HTC is aware of or looking in to the problem.

Billmelater

Reaction score
Another thing to try

I don't know if this will help and I apologize for being a little vague - I was so annoyed by pvmtpservicestart using 70% cpu that I was trying different things a little randomly.

Tried the Blockbuster tricks with no success. I realized that I had done a music sync using Windows Media Player and started looking into DRM things. I used a file manager to look at contents of the SD card and deleted the folder called Music and one called Albums - both put there by WMP.

Then I noticed a file called something like "com.htc.blockbuster" - probably not the correct name but something close to that. Just for fun, I deleted that (bit of a gamble since it could have messed up the phone). Shut off and restarted the phone and pvmtpservicestart was gone.

I then reloaded the Music folder using drag and drop from my PC rather than sync, installed Amazon Mp3 player and everything has been working well since.

Sorry for the vagueness - I really didn't expect to clear up the problem or I would have taken notes.

billyThaKid

Reaction score
The same thing was happening to me. I tried everything suggested to no avail (blockbuster, background services, etc.). I did notice a couple commonalities - 1. people who have this issue (myself included) seem to have been messing around w/plugging their Thunderbolt into the USB ports on their computers (either trying to sync or use as Internet passthrough) prior to noticing the PVMtpServiceStart service, and 2. the few that did solve the issue ended up having to reboot. I downloaded and installed "Advanced Task Killer" to see if I could kill the process that way. It worked, however, the process would restart after a few seconds. I then tried running the Advanced Task Killer again and then immediately rebooting my thunderbolt (my theory, don't give the task enough time to restart) and it hasn't started back up since!

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
Since I don't use Blockbuster, I just hit the "clear data" button in the application menu. Then, I did the same for the app in question. I have connected my laptop to Verizon's 4G service through the USB internet pass through. I haven't tried to add any music by syncing with WM. I have also used the TB as a disk drive for my computer with no problems. Right now, the PVMtpServiceStart shows up as running, but has 0 KB of data size, does show up as running in the running services menu, but doesn't appear in the battery usage screen.