Push Gmail

350-Jason

Reaction score
I suppose my confusion is exactly what Exchange ActiveSync is. Would I be able to use it to push email on the droid with a school email address?

Also, when you say that IMAP account simulate push, can you explain what that means? Can it only be set to pull email at certain intervals, or will it constantly sync?

Overall....I'm just trying to find out if the droid can push email from a school email address, or if that is impossible. Thanks!!

I can't get my school email to work either. I got it to pull every 5 minutes, but i can't send any out. I guess my outgoing server setting are messed up :(

OP
eversonsc

eversonsc

Reaction score
All the Gmail in my inbox online is already "read" that's why I can't understand why they are showing up as new mail on the phone.

OP
eversonsc

eversonsc

Reaction score
All that email was old anyway so I just went in and deleted it all. Now it isn't showing anymore. :)

BiggDogg

Reaction score
Holy crap I just got over 1400 emails and they are showing up as new emails. Any trick to mark them ALL as "read"?

Do you mean, when you first setup your Gmail account on Droid, it will send you EVERY email that is in your Gmail Inbox? Holy crap... :icon_eek: I hope this is not gonna happen.:mad:

Stigy

Reaction score
Let's try this:

GMail - allows for any @gmail.com address or any domain running Google Apps on it. Any email address setup as a GMail address will push.

IMAP - allows for ANY email address with IMAP enabled on the server. IMAP can only pull from the server based on a schedule on the phone.

Exchange (Corporate) - allows for an email address hosted on an Exchange server. Usually setup in businesses and if you have one you would know about it. Exchange mail can be Push OR Pull depending on your selection. Exchange will also sync your calendar and contacts from the server.

Makes sense?

PetrolHead

Reaction score
Bringin' this one back guys. I've had my Droid for 2 days now, and push on my Gmail account just won't work. I've checked, double checked, and triple checked my sync settings, all are set up to auto sync. Even with all the settings, the phone will not get new mail unless I manually sync it, or it automatically checks in 10 minute intervals. Nowhere near instant. Anyone have any suggestions?

PetrolHead

Reaction score
Nevermind, I must have closed the program that's required for push syncing. I restarted my phone and it's syncing perfectly now.

Note to all: If you have a syncing problem, first check your settings then restart your phone!

gg7aph

Reaction score
Hi,
My Gmail has suddenly stopping sync'ing. I have double checked settings > accounts & sync > my gmail account = sync is on.
Within here all 3 options (Sync Contacts, Sync Gmail, Sync Calendar) are all checked. What's weird is that Sync Contacts and Sync Calendar show they are still sync'ing regularly, however Sync Gmail hasn't sync'd since 9:13pm last night despite being checked on. Manually sync'ing does nothing either.
I've removed my app killer (which i've had for months and it's never caused a problem) and restarted the phone but no joy....
Any clues why?

gg7aph

Reaction score
I jsut had to do a factory restore to get this working again. No Idea what tripped it up.....

jakechance

Reaction score
New to Droid

I'm not sure I understand the different terms going on. On my last phone, it had a setting to check for new mail every x minutes. Is auto sync not the same as this? I was told that it conserves battery power to turn auto sync off.

Is the auto sync what enables push gmail and what exactly is the difference? I also have sync off for the facebook app currently. Is that push too?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
For people seeing gmail sync errors clear gmail storage data in settings > manage applications > menu > filter > all > gmail storage

That is a temporary fix. My so far permanent fix is: go to gmail app settings > labels > inbox > sync all

AND if you're still getting sync errors then my guess is that wifi is the cause.

If you're just not being notified of new gmail then get "gmail notifier" in the market. Turn on notifications in both gmail and the notifier app.

I'm not sure I understand the different terms going on. On my last phone, it had a setting to check for new mail every x minutes. Is auto sync not the same as this? I was told that it conserves battery power to turn auto sync off.

Is the auto sync what enables push gmail and what exactly is the difference? I also have sync off for the facebook app currently. Is that push too?

Just leave autosync on. It's not a big battery hog and you need it to push gmail. Yes, sync is push. This contrasts with pull where an app polls a server at a set interval.

anandmva

Reaction score
Gmail not pushing

Gmail synch is on but mail is not pushing to my device. I have to refresh to pull email. I've tested it by sending myself an email from another account and hours go by without any delivery of message. Any ideas what's wrong? Thx.