Proximity Sensor

Shanged

Reaction score
I have searched and found similar issues here, but I don't want to download an app or reboot my phone all the time because my phone isn't doing something it should do be default.

I just traded my Droid in due to battery issues, the new phone seems to have phone call issues. When I place a call, the screen immediately goes black (after I press send, before it's at my face). During the call, the only thing I can do that brings the screen back is open the physical keyboard (annoying). I know this is not standard behavior, as my last phone acted properly. (The phone is at my head, screen is blank and unresponsive, once I take it away, the screen comes back on).

Are there any fixes, or should I take another trip to Verizon this week?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds defective. A replacement should take care of this.

Rocky_Droid

Reaction score
Isn't it a feature for the phone's screen to turn off when you are in a call. Then turn back on when you move it away?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is Screebl but that will keep your phone lit for the entire call.

nphil

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to me today with my fourth replacement unit. Download a proximity sensor app and test it. If it shows a constant value even with you moving your fingers towards and back ,the sensor's faulty. The sensor is on the upper left corner of your screen btw.

Going in to VZW tomorrow and getting a new unit and testing it myself right there.

adamsredlines

Reaction score
Mine changed from 3.0 when covered to 2.14 when not covered....so idunno what to make of it. Seems to be working, just not how I would think it would.