Proximity sensor issues with last update

Archer1221

Reaction score
I recently updated my DROID RAZR MAXX operating system to 4.1.2.

After the install, I noticed that my screen keeps flickering on and off when my hand (or anything for that matter) comes close to the screen. I did some reading online and I think the "proximity sensor" (if that's the correct terminology for it) is on ALL the time and not just when on a call.

It is quite annoying because when I'm playing games, usually, the screen is forced to stay on no matter where I touch or hold the phone, but now if my thumb or anything comes close to the sensor, it turns the display off until I move my hand away, then it comes back on.

Has anyone else had any problems with this and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Is there a way to downgrade to the previous OS if there is no fix for this?

bocabean

Reaction score
I had problems with mine, every time I finished a phone call the Razr Maxx took on a life of its own. I tried clearing cache, fdr, nothing worked. I finally got VZW to send me a replacement phone. When I explained to them what was going on and what steps I took to try to remedy the problem, they did not even question it.

The downside to that process is that they do not send out new phones, but instead the phones are labeled something like good as new guaranteed refurbished. Bottom line is that you wind up taking on someone else's problems (unless they truly fixed the device). The first phone that they sent to me, the SIM card slot was defective and didn't even recognize the SIM. They sent me a second phone which I have kept and it seemed to work fine initially, except that I felt that the battery life was a bit questionable.

I have since made a number of changes to the settings based upon sound advise from other participants of this website, and as a result, I am now getting great battery life. I also elected to go ahead and root the phone, primarily to obtain wireless tether capability again. I am sure that the root process has also helped a bit.

Bottom line for me was that there was nothing that could be done to remedy the proximity sensor (and you have used the correct terminology) other than to send back the phone for a replacement.

That's my 2 cents worth. Good luck with it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try an app called Keepscreen by AXDroid. It's free and might be the work around you need.
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post