Project Fi Invites Start Rolling Out

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
project-fi-signup-2.png

Folks who signed up to be notified when Project Fi becomes available may have just received positive news in their email inboxes today. Google sent out the first batch of invites. While this will be welcome news for many, there is one caveat that could be a deal-breaker for many. There are a number of limitations on the new service which only kick in if you are porting your current Google Voice number. Here's the skinny on the list of features that are not supported if you port your Google Voice number,
  • Making and receiving calls using Google Talk, Google Voice apps, or Obihai devices
  • You won’t be able to use Google Voice for texting or visual voicemail
  • Text, voicemail and call history is no longer saved in Google Voice
  • If you already turned on Google Voice text messages and voicemails in Hangouts, they will continue to be available only in Hangouts
  • Certain Google Voice settings aren’t available: spam filtering, call recording, call switch, conference calling on the fly, caller ID (incoming), and outgoing caller ID (anonymous Caller ID).
  • As part of signing up for Project Fi, Google Voice apps and the website won’t be available.
To be clear, many of these features are already built-in to the Project Fi service, so you aren't necessarily losing all of this. Still, it's a head scratcher why Google is having this issue. We will keep you posted with more details as they arrive.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Interested to see what some of our users that have said they're going to try it out experience. From what I've seen in multiple threads, it sounds like most of them are planning to try it out alongside their current carriers, so many of these issues with porting numbers into the service shouldn't affect them...If I'm reading that post right.

Reactions: CJM

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Yeah. I'm going to scale down my VZW plan but keep it as a backup due to poor Fi signal or whatever other problem arises. I'll do it until I have or lose faith in ProFi. In the meantime I'm going to set up an automatic voice mail directing people to call my ported GV number if they want me.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So if you haven't received one does that mean it isn't available in your area yet? I was pretty quick to sign up for more info, I WANT MY MORE INFO!!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
So if you haven't received one does that mean it isn't available in your area yet? I was pretty quick to sign up for more info, I WANT MY MORE INFO!!

Not necessarily. I'm sure they're rolling out invites slowly. Not everyone who lives in an area where the service is available will automatically get an invite from the start. They don't want a mass influx of users right at the beginning.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Nothing for me yet. Hanging onto my Nexus 6 for this.