[KERNEL] Project Elite - ELite Kernel

OP
buckmarble

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
First, Thanks for the votes and installs fellas!

Second, AOSP kernels updated for newest 4.3 builds. Also removed OC steps for now as the weren't working properly, causing inconsistent and lower benchmark scores and also in general slowing the performance of the kernel. 3.4.55 linux kernal patches and latest cm patches also merged in. You need to be on a 7-31 or newer 4.3 build for this kernel to work properly. This kernel also fixes custom kernels breaking SU on cm and like builds.

mjforte

Reaction score
I am on the latest 4.3 kernel and am trying to set the min at 189 using TricksterMod but it keeps resetting back to 378. Does anyone know why?

Cruiserdude

Reaction score
Thanks alot for the kernel, got the TW version running quite well on Dubbsy's GoogleEdition 4.8. Seems quite similar to Chronic kernel, and I don't miss all the govs/scheds, as my favorite is interactive/row anyway, which this has.

Only issue I'm having is that the lower steps don't seem to be working. Both Trickster Pro and KTweaker allow me to set the minimum clock speed down to 81 (I like 135), but it will not ever go below 378, unless it's in Deep Sleep, of course. I have no problem running at 135 with Chronic kernel, and I can see in Trickster that it spends alot of time there. But this won't go past 378 no matter what.

Is this a known issue that's being looked into, or is there some information I could provide that would help you track this down? Thanks!

:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

OP
buckmarble

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the kernel, got the TW version running quite well on Dubbsy's GoogleEdition 4.8. Seems quite similar to Chronic kernel, and I don't miss all the govs/scheds, as my favorite is interactive/row anyway, which this has.

Only issue I'm having is that the lower steps don't seem to be working. Both Trickster Pro and KTweaker allow me to set the minimum clock speed down to 81 (I like 135), but it will not ever go below 378, unless it's in Deep Sleep, of course. I have no problem running at 135 with Chronic kernel, and I can see in Trickster that it spends alot of time there. But this won't go past 378 no matter what.

Is this a known issue that's being looked into, or is there some information I could provide that would help you track this down? Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

The oc and under clock steps are actually going to probably be removed. I've been testing them extensively and they aren't working properly. Actually causing more drain on the battery being there and not being used as well. Benchmarks actually drop with oc which tells me it doesn't like the number of slots or the freq isn't being echoed to all the cores properly. I'll be doing some more testing but that is how it is looking ATM. If they are removed I will be evaluating another way to oc/uc

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
buckmarble

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
thI installed the 4.3 kernel and can't seem to underclock the cpu lower than 378000. I've tried it with trickstermod as well as echo commands to the appropriate sysfs file. it lists frequencies lower than 378000 in scaling_available_frequencies but will only allow me to set scaling_min_freq to or above 378000

I explained this in my last post

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

sinusoid

Reaction score
First of all, I'm sorry for my redundant post. Also, is the unnecessary battery drain inevitable with this kernel even if I'm not attempting to use any over/underclocked values?

Cruiserdude

Reaction score
Still loving this kernel! Switched back to Chronic because he posted new builds today, and I always love the latest and greatest. But everything from performance to battery to sound quality is just a step below what I had gotten used to with Elite kernel. Not disparaging albinoman887 in any way, and I understand his work is the basis for alot of this kernel. But you have somehow improved on it enough that the difference is quite noticeable. I can barely wait to finish typing this post to flash back to Elite Kernel, haha.

Looking forward to the next build with fixed or removed oc/uc steps, I can only imagine how good that will be!

Sent from my VZW Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition :)

OP
buckmarble

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Alright guys. AOSP kernels for 4.3 have been updated. All new OC/UC and voltage control. Also back to stock thermal control. Let me know what you think

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

OP
buckmarble

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Still loving this kernel! Switched back to Chronic because he posted new builds today, and I always love the latest and greatest. But everything from performance to battery to sound quality is just a step below what I had gotten used to with Elite kernel. Not disparaging albinoman887 in any way, and I understand his work is the basis for alot of this kernel. But you have somehow improved on it enough that the difference is quite noticeable. I can barely wait to finish typing this post to flash back to Elite Kernel, haha.

Looking forward to the next build with fixed or removed oc/uc steps, I can only imagine how good that will be!

I am actually in process of redoing entire TW kernel. Not real happy with where it was at. Too much extra stuff needed to make that kernel work with the OC/UC. I wanted to have it done by last night or tonight, but it looks like its going to be a bit longer on the TW kernel because I have decided to redo it from scratch. Until then, try a 4.3 rom if you want and see how my AOSP kernel runs on it. The AOSP kernel will get a small update tonight as I have discovered a couple of things that the new 4.3 GE kernel code doesnt like.

Cruiserdude

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the update! Definitely looking forward to a new GE compatible kernel. When you say 4.3 TW, are you referring to one that will boot GE, since there isn't an official 4.3 TW rom yet? Love to keep using your kernel once Dubbsy is able to get 4.3 GE running on our jfltevzw. Any testing you need for a GE kernel lmk and I'd be glad to help.

In the meantime I'll definitely give an AOSP 4.3 rom a shot here with your kernel while I'm waiting for Dubbsy to work his magic!

Thanks again for the hard work, as an S3 owner I know the best kernels aren't always found on xda, and I'm quite glad to have such a great kernel option on this phone already.

OP
buckmarble

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Aosp 4.3 kernels updated. Tied off a couple of loose ends

OP
buckmarble

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Aosp and TW kernels updated:

TW: just some code clean up for now

AOSP: -All current CM patches(fixes the graphical glitches on 8-8 AOSP(cm10.2 and alike) builds and newer)
-Updated to 3.4.55 linux patches
-Added patches from AOSP 3.4 master branch
-All OC/UC has been overhauled

Cruiserdude

Reaction score
Running your latest TW and its nice and smooth! Only issue is I'm not seeing any undervolting? Was this intentionally removed, or is there some info I could pull for ya?

OP
buckmarble

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Running your latest TW and its nice and smooth! Only issue is I'm not seeing any undervolting? Was this intentionally removed, or is there some info I could pull for ya?

Yes I removed it. It will make its way back in at some point