Project Ara's First 5MP Camera Module is Designed by Toshiba

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

We have a first glimpse of a functional piece of Project Ara, Google's modular smartphone concept. A 5MP camera module has been designed for the phone, and it was created by Toshiba. What's amazing about this module is that it supposedly holds up to Google's requirements of being hot-swappable, so you can remove it without turning off your device.

The report regarding this camera elaborates that Toshiba will be making more than just the camera and is currently developing several different modules for Project Ara. Here's a quote with more of the details,

Of course, Toshiba isn't stopping at 5 megapixels, nor is it stopping at camera modules only. It plans to also have a 13 megapixel version ready soon. And that's just Phase 1. Phase 2 will see the development of other types of modules, including NFC, Wireless Power Charging, external memory, and Toshiba's own TransferJet technology.

The video above shows off the camera module. Sound off and let us know what you think of the progress that is being made for Project Ara.

Source: SlashGear

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I want, nay, Want, no, I WANT Ara. I crave it. The ability to have near-full control over what components my phone has? GIVE IT ME NAO!!!!

Now if only Verizon will let me use my toy in their playground. Le sigh...

giphy.gif

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Time to get EXCITED (read "cautiously optimistic). :D This is great news. Truth be known that big corporations like Toshiba will spend millions and millions on things that look promising but end up in the junk heap, however they are also the dollars that drive research and development, so we couldn't ask for a better partner in this. NOW I'm getting real anxious.

ARA and TOSHIBA!! YeAh!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
5MP? Welcome to 2010 Toshiba. We now know why your company is lagging. Oy!
Still cool I suppose, but nothing to get too excited about. Maybe these modules will be Toshibas "big break".

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
5MP? Welcome to 2010 Toshiba. We now know why your company is lagging. Oy!
Still cool I suppose, but nothing to get too excited about. Maybe these modules will be Toshibas "big break".

S5 tap'n
Considering that it's all contained in that tiny little module, I think it's a decent start...Haha

Reactions: cr6

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The first-gen Moto G had a 5MP shooter. Since they're planning on releasing the small (read, low-rent) version of the Ara chassis first, 5MP fits quite nicely. Plus, there's no guarantee this will be a final production module. Start simple, get something working, then upgrade it. Prototypes and beta hardware rarely fully reflect the final production model, so we may see something in between before the 13MP module is finished.

So, if I'm an early adopter, I'll pay $15 for the shooter (example given, not expected to be realistic) until the 13MP option rolls around for a $50 outlay. A month later, when the 24MP shooter module hits the market, I'll buy the 13 for $20, pull out my old camera module, put in the upgraded accelerometer module in the space, and replace the AC module with the larger camera part.

That's why I'm excited, not just because I can upgrade my SoC at the drop of hat and $50. :)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It's not about the megapixels it's about the sensors. Ask the iFolks. They will be quick to throw that out there.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Good point guys. I was just thinking, if they expect the general public to get behind this "project" they need to release it with a little more wow factor. (spec wise) Even through I love the concept of this device, releasing it with low end specs is not going to convert me, (or convince me) to give up my current high-end flagship device.
That was all I was getting at.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I see your point, but I don't see this device as being geared toward the general public, at least not at this stage in the game, or any time real soon.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Depending upon the availability of parts upon general population release I think this will take off. Especially if you could get a spare battery, better camera module, glucose reader, etc for say $5 a month/12 months from your carrier.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Depending upon the availability of parts upon general population release I think this will take off. Especially if you could get a spare battery, better camera module, glucose reader, etc for say $5 a month/12 months from your carrier.
Eventually, sure, maybe. But it'll be just like computers were back in the day. We tinkerers will be the first & it'll be some time before the populace as a whole see the benefits.

I'm with fbm though. I doubt Verizon lets us play in their sandbox.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't see it being as inexpensive as people think it's going to be. With the years of R&D they've already put into this device, yeah....I'm thinking it'll be pretty spendy.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't see it being as inexpensive as people think it's going to be. With the years of R&D they've already put into this device, yeah....I'm thinking it'll be pretty spendy.

S5 tap'n
They'll be walking a fine line between breaking even & charging prices that get people using it when it ships.

Reactions: cr6

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Really good to see a company like Toshiba investing in this platform.

Sammy and the other OEM's better pay attention or this phone COULD (doubtful) end-up eating their lunch. You can already see vastly superior swappable cameras, which would seem like a huge selling point.

And just in general all the specialized modules this thing could have. Really huge potential, I just don't know exactly how big of a priority it is for Google and others (Google is known to half-bake things and then abandon suddenly).