Project Ara Launch will be in 2017, with Developer Units Coming this Fall

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I am looking forward to this. Have been since it was originally brought up. The ability to truly customize your phone almost on a level like a pc is great. It will look better once they release to public. Prototypes are always hideous, well in most cases. It would be cool for a Shattershild Display option like the Turbo 2. Clink clink. Time to start putting away all my spare change in the Ara Jar.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ara is the next evolution everything starts lame but in due time itll be better i bet and what makes it great is its electomagnatec soon all will have this even cars etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point. It took the Motorola droid for eyes to start shifting toward Android, evo to shift a few eyes from the iPhone, and the galaxy s3 and note 2 to convince people that there truly are options on par with the iPhone to which the pendulum shifted to where Apple for the first time really felt like Android was a viable threat.

The first commercially released ara will have issues, not have a lot of early support, and frankly will not be for anyone but developers and enthusiasts. After a few years of free "open" development, the big boys (ie Samsung) will come around and lock ("secure their intellectual property/protect the device from threats") the device and components where only Samsung modules will work on Samsung phones. They will look nice, come with S module features not found in pure Google ara, but will be slow to update while att and Verizon figure out how to lock certain "non removable" carrier branded modules that they pre installed on your phone.

"It's the good life".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Good point. It took the Motorola droid for eyes to start shifting toward Android, evo to shift a few eyes from the iPhone, and the galaxy s3 and note 2 to convince people that there truly are options on par with the iPhone to which the pendulum shifted to where Apple for the first time really felt like Android was a viable threat.

The first commercially released ara will have issues, not have a lot of early support, and frankly will not be for anyone but developers and enthusiasts. After a few years of free "open" development, the big boys (ie Samsung) will come around and lock ("secure their intellectual property/protect the device from threats") the device and components where only Samsung modules will work on Samsung phones. They will look nice, come with S module features not found in pure Google ara, but will be slow to update while att and Verizon figure out how to lock certain "non removable" carrier branded modules that they pre installed on your phone.

"It's the good life".

I'm hoping it'll be more akin to my pc and home internet... I build the device with whatever modules I see fit, multiple hardware devs fit together some make a better cpu some a better camera.

Att, vzw? They just offer my phone the ability to connect to the network... i.e. Comcast, Cox or time Warner.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I'm curious how they may be able to pull off CPU Swaps if they are going to do that. Obviously not all Snapdragons run on same mobo. What about if the decide to go with Mediatek for a less expessive option. How would you be able to swap to a Snapdragon when you get some cash to upgrade?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
They won't. At least not this gen. The CPU is not swappable and is part of what they are calling the frame.

Sent from Turbo II

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

"It's the good life".

Although I agree with what you've said, I really do hope that this doesn't become a war of different "standards", causing a rift in competing hardware technologies like Samsung has both with their Gear watches and with the Gear VR. I don't like Apple for its exclusivity and I don't like Samsung a bit for the same reason.

Let's keep this a technology of compatibility rather than one of conflict. Why shouldn't I be able to use perhaps Sony for the camera, Motorola for the radios, Samsung for the display or Motorola for the shatter-proof display technology, SanDisk for the SD memory, Qualcomm for the chipset, Panasonic for the battery, , etc.?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I think you will be able to. That's why Google will build the shell. You want to play ball? You have to follow Google's standards.

Sent from Turbo II
I have no doubt that Project Ara will be this way, but what I fear is another manufacturer ("cough" Sam-pple-sung), coming along and saying "We can do it all and do it better, buy OUR frame, OUR interchangeable parts (which by the way are completely incompatible with Ara)", and we're left with yet more fragmentation.

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Although I agree with what you've said, I really do hope that this doesn't become a war of different "standards", causing a rift in competing hardware technologies like Samsung has both with their Gear watches and with the Gear VR. I don't like Apple for its exclusivity and I don't like Samsung a bit for the same reason.

Let's keep this a technology of compatibility rather than one of conflict. Why shouldn't I be able to use perhaps Sony for the camera, Motorola for the radios, Samsung for the display or Motorola for the shatter-proof display technology, SanDisk for the SD memory, Qualcomm for the chipset, Panasonic for the battery, , etc.?

Exactly, My PC has Intel for the CPU Asus for the Motherboard Corsair for the memory case and cooler, Seagate for the HDD Samsung for the SSD etc etc.... this could very EASILY be the same.

Ophus

Reaction score
I don't understand everyone getting caught up in the aesthetics of a phone. I don't see them as a fashion statement and certainly don't show them off. I'm all about function. Give me the most functional phone possible, make it comfortable in my pocket and I'm happy. I am also the guy that doesn't like the color white on a car, but own two white cars. lol

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think you will be able to. That's why Google will build the shell. You want to play ball? You have to follow Google's standards.

Sent from Turbo II
Hopefully Google sets the ground rules out of the box and stick with it.
I have no doubt that Project Ara will be this way, but what I fear is another manufacturer ("cough" Sam-pple-sung), coming along and saying "We can do it all and do it better, buy OUR frame, OUR interchangeable parts (which by the way are completely incompatible with Ara)", and we're left with yet more fragmentation.

Unfortunately I see Google looking at Android and Android wear in which one allows openness to the point that manufacturers can be different and the other was under much stricter guidelines.

At the end of the day I can see it going both ways where Samsung and manufacturers will make components for Ara (ie screen, camera, etc) but will make their own Ara device that the manufacturer (ie Samsung) controls. Though I hope @PereDroid is right, Android phones are where they are because of manufacturers being able to express themselves and differentiate from the competition. So it is going to come down to if Ara can be successful without Google caving a little for the carriers and manufacturers.

Google may end up splitting the difference in Nexus (reference devices) are completely open and free while manufacturer devices with carrier branding have more lead way (the status quo we have now). In that way they will get more devices in customer's hands.

It comes down to how successful they want Ara to be and if they are willing to cave a little to make it happen.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Amagine

Reaction score
As much as I love the theme of this project, I can't see it taking off the way we want without IEEE setting the standards.