Project Ara Team shows Off Current Development Stage with Sizes of the Device

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;_Q1JzJadgHY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q1JzJadgHY[/video]​

It's easy to be impressed with the crazy stuff that Google is always working on. The company is simply not afraid to think way outside the box and come up with ideas that stretch the limits of the imagination. Project Ara is a fine example of "out of the box" thinking, and for those interested in how its development is progressing, you might enjoy the above video.

Not only do we get to meet the Project Ara team in this video, we also get to see the device in several of its various sizes and configurations. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Google’s Advanced Technology and Project (ATAP) division, which moved over from Motorola once the Search giant sold its hardware arm, previously revealed that Ara phones will be available in three sizes. The bigger the endoskeleton that houses the modules (or the endo,) the bigger its display module will be and the more blocks it will be able to support.

When talking to designer Daniel Makoski, Phoneblocks was shown the three sizes of the device – in previous demos only two models were shown – or the Mini, the Medium and the Large. Interestingly, Ara phones will not necessarily be touch-only devices, as at least one Medium concept features what looks like a physical keyboard. The phones will have a grid of 4×7, 3×6 and 2×5 parceled grid, depending on size, with the smallest rear modules measuring 1×1.

What do you guys think of Project Ara? Is it too cool or just too out there?

Source: BGR

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....I consider my Rezound to be an almost ideal physical size (5.4" by 2.8"), so 3x6 is a bit large and 2x5 is a bit small. And, by the way OEM's, thinner is not an ergonomic complement to bigger screens - I noticed this when I got an extended battery and the added thickness actually made my Rezound more comfortable and easier to use with one hand.

Otherwise, I'm excited about the idea of upgradeable modules.

jspradling7

Reaction score
Your Rezound isn't that big is it?
5.08 x 2.58 x 0.54

I do like the size of the Rezound and that's probably one of the reason i got so attached to the Moto X
5.09 x 2.57 x 0.41

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Your Rezound isn't that big is it?
5.08 x 2.58 x 0.54

I do like the size of the Rezound and that's probably one of the reason i got so attached to the Moto X
5.09 x 2.57 x 0.41

Yeah, I guess I got the specs mixed up. I'd probably get the Moto X if it had an SD card, but I also really want a phone with 3 gigs of ram. I'm looking forward to a follow-up to the Moto X.