Problems with Media Share on Droid 2

mvp1222

Reaction score
Just got my Droid 2.

Trying to access shared folders on my home network (3 computers running XP) via the Media Share.

Set up the files for sharing on the computers.

On my Droid clicked on "Media Share" -> "Start" -> "Computer" -> "Copy" -> "Windows File Sharing" -> "Next" -> Shared 3 folders on my computer. -> "Next" -> Verified my home network was availabe, clicked "Next" -> clicked "Next" -> "Shared Folders" -> "Add Server" -> "Scan for Servers" ->

At this point it finds the IP address of the laptop Im working on. using DHCP.

But when I click on it, it keeps asking for a user name and password.

dont have one for XP and no password on the files.

Can anyone help? Thanks,
Mark

ChazPacific

Reaction score
Droid 2 to PC

Hi Mark,
I just got my droid 2 (verizon) as well. After setting up WIFI and connecting to my Droid to my network, I accessed my computer not from the blue Media Share icon, but from the actual brown Icon with a white file folder on it that said FILES. From there you have 2 options Phone files and Shared Files, Click Shared files then click add server. Find Your exact IP address of the computer you want to connect to.... on your computer go to Run/cmd/ipconfig.... Write it down. Next hit add server, a list of ip addresses will pop up and when you find yours click it. Its going to ask for authentication (User Name and Password), which MUST be set up on your computer for this to work. Like any server you need a user name and password set up. From there you can scroll down and look for a file that says USERS then look for your computer name and Presto! Your in your computer. You can use this FILES application to copy and transfer files from your droid to your computer or access files on your computer. I have yet to figure out how to get files from my computer to my droid... Hope this helps.
Chaz Pacific

OP
M

mvp1222

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
I just got my droid 2 (verizon) as well. After setting up WIFI and connecting to my Droid to my network, I accessed my computer not from the blue Media Share icon, but from the actual brown Icon with a white file folder on it that said FILES. From there you have 2 options Phone files and Shared Files, Click Shared files then click add server. Find Your exact IP address of the computer you want to connect to.... on your computer go to Run/cmd/ipconfig.... Write it down. Next hit add server, a list of ip addresses will pop up and when you find yours click it. Its going to ask for authentication (User Name and Password), which MUST be set up on your computer for this to work. Like any server you need a user name and password set up. From there you can scroll down and look for a file that says USERS then look for your computer name and Presto! Your in your computer. You can use this FILES application to copy and transfer files from your droid to your computer or access files on your computer. I have yet to figure out how to get files from my computer to my droid... Hope this helps.
Chaz Pacific

Chaz,
Thanks for the help. I still dont understand how to set up a password on my computer? Do you mean using the user name and password for the account administrator. (I am using XP). I made an account entitled Droid and gave it a simple 1234 password but its like the droid isnt even checking, it goes straight to the "Logon Failure - Re-enter Authentication Info" pop up. If I have more than one user, how does the droid know which user account I am trying to connect to?

Thanks in advance.

ChazPacific

Reaction score
Hey Mark,
Yes you are correct. You must create a password for the administrator on your windows account. And your administrator name is your username, and your password for your login for the "server connection". (make sure you are logging into the right ip address if there are multiple computers on your network)

Update to what I have found: Once you do that you can set up the DLNA icon (even though my computer is not supported I can still use this to easily access stuff and get stuff from my computer to my droid), The Media Share Icon that you were referring to earlier will also work.
Chaz Pacific

ChazPacific

Reaction score
One last thing, I saw you said you have 3 computers: You must create 3 server connections for this. Then when you access them through the icons you choose the according computer to get into.

ChazPacific

Reaction score
Last Last Note, Sorry... If your administrators name is different from the computer name, that could be a/the problem. I have set up my computers to have the same computer/admin names. I have 1 win 7 computer, 1 xp, 1 mac and a printer all set up and I had to find their individual ip addresses to access them on my droid. Its really cool once you get past the log in, believe me it took me 2 days of non stop tinkering and I was ready to scream lol.
Chaz

Taegost

Reaction score
I use Dropbox to sync files between my home and work PCs, and my phone... I don't have to mess around with things like that.
On the downside, I don't have access to all the files on my home PC, but I don't find that necessary (for myself, anyhoo).

ensign

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use this sharing method for shares that have a dollar sign as part of the name (i.e., c:\Share$ )?

Thanks.

calguy19

Reaction score
I did as described. I have 3 computers on my LAN, 1 laptop with wireless connection and 2 desktops with ethernet. Media share finds all 3 IP addresses. Can log into laptop, but cannot transfer files BETWEEN phone and computer. Can copy files from folder to folder on computer, and folder to folder on phone, but NOT between PC and phone. On my 2 desktops, I cannot get past the login. I enter my usual logon info for the computer (Admisistrator, and my pswd), but the login fails.

Same problems occur using droids "files" program, or other file apps like "ES Files". Can't copy any files from droid to other computer, and can't login to my computers on the ethernet connection to my wireless AT&T cable hub.

Anyone know how to solve these 2 problems?

Last edited:

calguy19

Reaction score
Slight update on previously posted problem.

Can connect droid x with 1 computer on my LAN (the laptop with wireless connection) using any of the file manager apps available for the droid. It "sees" all 3 computers on my LAN, but it will not login to the 2 that are hooked to the hub with ethernet cables (all 3 computers see each other and communicate fine with each other). Using the droid, it says login failed, re-enter userid and pswd, which doesn't help.

Anyone having this same problem? Anyone have a fix?

calguy19

Reaction score
Found answer myself. Some of you guys might run into this problem too.

Apparently the hosts that are wired to my LAN by ethernet cable REQUIRE anonymous login, while wireless connected ones REQUIRE userid and pswd to access.

Droid FILES built-in app can't do anonymous logons (as far as I can tell). An app like ES FIles Explorer or File Expert can connect to hosts on the network either way. On your wireless connection, include userid and pswd. For hardwired hosts, check anonymous logon.

Nothing in any manuals or google searches gave any info about this. That's the problems with these new smart phones - too many technical problems and too few explanation or solutions to be found. We all seem to be on our own to figure these things out. At least my 30-plus years working in the computer field makes dealing with some of these problems possible, although I would much rather have access to actual information.

drneosmith

Reaction score
Just got my Droid 2.

Trying to access shared folders on my home network (3 computers running XP) via the Media Share.

Set up the files for sharing on the computers.

On my Droid clicked on "Media Share" -> "Start" -> "Computer" -> "Copy" -> "Windows File Sharing" -> "Next" -> Shared 3 folders on my computer. -> "Next" -> Verified my home network was availabe, clicked "Next" -> clicked "Next" -> "Shared Folders" -> "Add Server" -> "Scan for Servers" ->

At this point it finds the IP address of the laptop Im working on. using DHCP.

But when I click on it, it keeps asking for a user name and password.

dont have one for XP and no password on the files.

Can anyone help? Thanks,
Mark

dancedroid

I had the exact same problem, but if you enter "Guest" as the user name and leave the Password field empty you should be able to long in.

NOTE: My desktop is connected to router via "CABLE" not, repeat, not wireless! I'm using Droid X.

My Win XP account was set up with out a password, I shared my folders with no password prompt.
dancedroid
Hope this works for u too.

Last edited: