Problems with Bluetooth after ICS update

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Oh .. Hmmmm... Shellster... I am sorry.. I thought you all were talking ear pieces... hmmm I am not having a problem with my car dock either... I would not know where to venture on that .. unless you all were using the same style dock even though different phones. I will have to play around with mine to see if I can create an issue... (I am not in my car enough to be on the phone, so will bring my dock in and play the next few days)

antnip

Reaction score
My problem is with my car. Prior to ICS car paired with phone and all phone functions worked through head unit and steering wheel buttons. Car is 2011 Volkswagen. Now phone pairs and says it is connected but steering buttons no longer do anything and all other functions result in "no items" flashing. Bottom line is BT connection to a relatively new car has been rendered inoperable by this update. Verizon will let me replace phone early at lower cost but in doing so i will lose my unlimited data plan so i feel screwed either way.

SnglGrma

Reaction score
I have another thought after reading antnips reply just now

I have an older model car (1997) so of course i am not going to have the ability to control anything through the car on bluetooth.

BUT!!!

A few months back she was in the shop for some repairs and my key fob had not worked for years, so I was talking to the mechanics, who one piped up and said....there is a software update for that...we can check to see if your car was ever flashed with the update.

Of course they checked, it was not... they flashed my car...and my key fob was able to be reprogrammed again! Yayyyy!!

So...you all have newer cars with the capability of blue toothing....ICS is newer then the cars....so...maybe its not the phone..but your cars need an updated software to handle the new software for your phone.

Sort of like your home computers....something worked before you updated that program...and it will work again when you update what was:icon_ lala: working before and is not now.

antnip

Reaction score
I am guessing you are correct in that BT in phone is no longer compatible with what is in car, but that seems like a pretty big oversight on part of the Android developers. If I was driving something that had the computer equal of a Model T for a phone/bluetooth system I could understand the new phone software not being compatible, but my car isn't even a year old yet and it isn't a kit car I made myself. VW is a fairly popular brand.

Not complaining about your reply in any way, just about the situation. It is disappointing to say the least. My multifunction phone has suddenly become far less useful as the result of an update. I can live without that kind of progress!:angry:

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Antnip,
Call VW and see if they have an update for their software in the car.
We cant expect companies to be backward compatible in all aspects, just like we cant expect companies to predict what is going to change in thier software in the future.....

But what we can expect is that all companies try to work together and make thier products work together as changes come about.
I would not be so mad at Moto right now, until they and VW both tell you they wont make their software compatible.

And then its not just Moto's fault....but VW as well...because its their product that is useless....not the phone.

antnip

Reaction score
Antnip,
Call VW and see if they have an update for their software in the car.
We cant expect companies to be backward compatible in all aspects, just like we cant expect companies to predict what is going to change in thier software in the future.....

But what we can expect is that all companies try to work together and make thier products work together as changes come about.
I would not be so mad at Moto right now, until they and VW both tell you they wont make their software compatible.

And then its not just Moto's fault....but VW as well...because its their product that is useless....not the phone.

I mean no disrespect, but I don't agree with what you are saying. I have read of people with all types of cars having this same issue post-ICS. Having a phone that works through a vehicle's audio system is, or should be a core function of any phone and should therefore be something any software developer makes workable. Expecting nissan, vw, toyota, mercedes, and perhaps other car makers I haven't read about retool THEIR software to deal with your update is putting the cart before the horse. To add, this isn't really a Moto problem either, it is an Android issue, as people with HTC, Samsung and other phones are reporting similar issues.

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Oh Antnip!
I take no harm to your words and my words dont mean disrespect either for the headaches you and others are going through.

But at the same time...we cant expect everything to be compatible with everything...there are going to be some glitches.
I am very much aware of the issues people are having with these phones and software i am one of those who keep wanting flash player on m phone so i can watch my soap operas (ABC refuses to give ANDROID users an APP to watch their shows) and Moto or Google stopped supporting flash player....my phone is now useless to me so... i download flash, watch my shows, my phone messes up and i have to factory reset it to get it to work properly again....its a never ending cycle!

There is no harm in making a phone call to your local dealer to see if they have an update for their blue tooth software
Like a computer, laptop, ipad......it has to be updated periodically in order for it to continue to work properly... its a pain for those who dont know but for those who do....its a never ending cycle.

Good luck with your phone call...and i hope others who have this same issue with their cars....make that very same phone call

OP
G

GGDroid

Reaction score
First and foremost, I want to say thanks to several of you to know that I'm not "alone" in this matter... and secondly thanks to several of you for your suggestions... It gives one hope...lol.... Anyway, to clarify further, I am with Antnip (you'll have to tell us what that means), in that the problem is not an ear piece, but the compatibility of working with the car's blue tooth. I drive a 2007 Nissan and again, worked great before ICS, and now after ICS update all I have is a brick (short of taking the risk of manually calling while driving) while driving my car. I haven't given much thought to see if my FOB needs an update, but like Antnip would have figured that it would be backwards compatible since he only has a one year old car, so I'm not optimistic. Why would Verizon knowingly create a safety hazard by not being compatible with our vehicle's BT thus creating a potential vulnerability. Sounds like a court case against Verizon just waiting to happen to the first family who loses a loved due to the ICS update taking away their BT capability.

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Okay guys and gals.....check this out.... i found this on a nissan website forum
I also will post a link i found regarding models of nissans with issues...there is a work around something of an adapter you can get on amazon.com or radio shack....give me a bit of time as i am pulling this from my droid phone and have to go
ack forth

As far as CONNECTING A SINGLE PHONE: first make sure that your phone is not trying to connect to a bluetooth headset as well as the car, it can't do both. When setting up the car you may need to delete the headset AND THEN PAIR WITH THE CAR, then re-pair to headset and manually switch between the 2 in your bluetooth menu on the phone.

doccuke

Reaction score
I have a droid bionic with ics. It was a swap for my original droid bionic that died. When I received it, there was still GB on it. With the GB OS everything worked fine. I allowed the update to ICS, BAD IDEA!! Since thennothing but problems dropping connection with my moto H730!! It drops in the middle of calls, sometimes won't connect in the AM without turning bluetooth off, then back on. Have done soft and hard reset, and that was after deleting the profile on the phone of the h730 and repairing. That helps for a few days, then no good again!!

Wish I left GB on here!!

If anyone has a fix that works I'm interested.

I have not installed anything for apps since getting the phone, it is all stock!! Best I can tell ICS is a POS on the droid Bionic if you want to use bluetooth!!

Keep smilin
DOC

Shellster

Reaction score
Update

took my car to the infiniti dealer for an update to the software and my bluetooth still does not work, which means it the firmware or the ICS update. talked to a service tech extensively and we tried everything to get the thing to work, still no sound when trying to make a call. Has anyone else found a solution. Can't turn in my phone cause i just got it, have 1 more year till i can switch. HELP!

OP
G

GGDroid

Reaction score
Still here and still no resolve with the ICS update on my Droid 4 regarding BT. I appreciate SNGLgrma's update, but that wasn't an issue with me as I don't have any headsets, just the car's BT. It will successfully pair... but like Shellster, can't initiate or take a call, no voice... Hard Resets (2 of them) did not solve the issue. Nissan could not help me.. .no update to my FOB and they are certainly not responsible for looking into future to make backwards compatible. So all that's left was through Motorola... they were willing to take my phone (God knows how long??) for repair, but I could not deal with that... however, I did read where there is supposed to be another ICS update... it was supposed to happen in December by regions... I have yet to see this update, so I am holding out hope that this will help? Anyone else?? Verizon really let me down on this Droid 4.

antnip

Reaction score
My situation with my Bionic and VW was never resolved, however, just a couple of weeks ago I tried to pair my wife's simple, non-data enabled phone with car. It paired, but was totally non-functional as was my Bionic. Then tried to pair a couple of other hones and while they paired, nothing worked. VW agreed to replace radio. Put one in, which didn't work, now waiting for 2nd one to arrive and be installed. It is odd that all worked fine until very day I upgraded phone to ICS. I can't imagine any way that car system would be impacted by such update, so for now, it appears it was an odd coincidence that radio crapped out same day as phone ICS updated. I should have car back Monday and will report if anything changes.

Shellster

Reaction score
Update

Just received the latest Droid update this weekend, EVERYTHING is now fixed! Got in the car tried the bluetooth and it now works fine. So in my opinion the problem was the ice cream sandwich update. for the record i am now on version 4.1.2 on a Droid 4

OP
G

GGDroid

Reaction score
I'm right there with you Shellster... the latest "Jellybean" update undid everything that ICS SCREWED UP. So, all the speculations... nope, nothing wrong with my car's bluetooth, nothing wrong with the Motorola phone, it's all the ICS...and for 6 painful months... FINALLY... i have a smooth running Droid 4 and my bluetooth functionality has returned to my car! Thanks Jellybean!