Problem withy usb2.0

schwa6970

Reaction score
Hi I have had my droid 2 for 3 weeks now and love it. I am having an issue when I plug it in to my laptop. I get a message saying that I don't have it plugged in to a high speed usb port. I know its a usb 2.0 . I have searched ms and hp looking for solutions and have reinstalled all my drivers. The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling windows 7 64
Has anyone esle encountered this problem and how is it fixxed
Thanks
Todd

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wow Todd, that's a tough one. I know you said it, but are you absolutely sure the port you are plugging into is USB 2.0, and not an older USB 1.0 or 1.1 card or on-board port? The OS should "know" what types of ports it is supporting, and it is the OS that is giving you that message when it "sees" a high-speed device being plugged into a port it "believes" is a low-speed port. If you are sure you are running the most updated USB driver for your IO card, then it could possibly be the power that the port is supplying. Some ports are "high-power" ports which supply 500mA to each device, while others are "low-power" ports supplying only 100mA. I am simply speculating here, but I could see a laptop (generally being rather power-conscious) only having low-power ports which may fool the OS into thinking it's a low-speed port, perhaps?

Are you using the "front" (or side) port when you get this message, or are you plugged into the "rear" port?

You could try to "fix" this by going into the System menu and removing the USB port, then doing a detect and allowing the system to find and reinstall it. This may fix whatever register is possibly corrupted.

Last edited:

mewshi

Reaction score
You're not, by chance, using a USB hub to connect it, are you?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You're not, by chance, using a USB hub to connect it, are you?

Also a very good possibility. A 1.0/1.1 USB hub into a 2.0 port will give you that warning. Good catch mewshi.

miketoasty

Reaction score
When using an older cable it said it was plugged into a non 2.0 port using the one that came with it fixed that.

mewshi

Reaction score
That's very strange; the pinout for 1.0 and 2.0 are the same... the cable shouldn't make a difference... should it?

OP
S

schwa6970

Reaction score
Usb 2.0 problems

I have a newer HP DV7 laptop there is no 1.0 inputs on it anywhere.
I also have it plugged direct into it no hubs,docking stations etc and I am using the usb cord that was provided with my DROID 2. I am stumped!!
It is taking about 5 minutes to say drop a albums worth of music onto it or a couple pictures of my kids. I have done everything from reinstalling all the hp drivers windows updates . Anything a person with upper level consumer experience has.:cus:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's very strange; the pinout for 1.0 and 2.0 are the same... the cable shouldn't make a difference... should it?

Actually it can, but not as a result of engineered differences (i.e. specifications), but simply due to one cable being of a higher quality in manufacture and materials than the other. Ideally, USB 2.0 architecture uses the same cables and connectors as USB 1.1 compliant products. Unforunately, only 3 out of 11 cables on the market are certified as USB 1.1 compliant (and so they may work fine in 1.1, but when pushed to the speed requirements of 2.0, they prove their inferiority. You may run into the cables that cause problems connecting high-speed peripherals. To avoid negative user experience, most vendors include USB 2.0 compliant cables with their USB 2 PCI cards and peripherals

Both 1.0/1.1 cables use a twisted pair configuration and the recommended maximum length is 5 meters (about 16+ feet). The reason for the length requirement is to stay within expected "round trip" data rate transfer times. USB 2.0 is expecting a round trip of a data packet not to exceed 1,500 Nanoseconds. Anything longer than 1,500 ns will result in a lost packet error as the computer or device simply assumes the packet is lost. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus).

Since electricity travels at the speed of light (299,792 km/s in a vacuum) you might expect that the cable could be half again as long, however this is not the case.

The velocity and the electrical resistance outside a conduction is often assumed by the propagation speed of an electromagnetic wave. In simplified systems, the speed of electricity is given as the electromagnetic wave which conveys information (data), not the movement of electrons. Electromagnetic wave propagation is fast and depends on the dielectric constant of the material. In a vacuum the wave travels at the speed of light and almost that fast in air. Propagation speed is affected by insulation, such that in an unshielded copper conductor range 0.95 to 0.97 that of the speed of light, while in a typical coaxial cable [and also in twisted pairs] it is about 66% of the speed of light. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_electricity)

The USB 2.0 specification requires cable delay to be less than 5.2 ns per meter (192,000 km/s, which is close to the maximum achievable transmission speed for standard copper cable). Theoretically if you used a "low resistance" cable, you could effectively speed up that data transmission rate and therefore extend the length of the cable. Unfortunately, the higher cost of low resistance cable is a factor such that it is is not effectively affordable from a price/performance standpoint.

Also with longer cables there is greater risk of data corruption through RF (Radio Frequency) interference, similar to what you might hear over an AM radio when you drive near a power plant or factory that uses large electromechanical devices. Since USB 2.0 is about 40 times faster than 1.1, it is more susceptible to interference. To further combat this possible corruption of data, USB 3.0, which is an order of magnitude faster than 2.0 (480 Mbit/s versus 3.2 Gbit/s - 0.4 Gbyte/s or 400 MByte/s), uses an actual metallic sheath (shielding) around the twisted pairs of wires to prevent exterior interference from passing into the twisted pairs.

Still, there is the potential for crosstalk between twisted pairs which is why there is only one set of data wires in Serial communication cables such as USB 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.0, whereas older forms of data communication was done in a parallel method where there were data lines for each bit and information was sent in packets of bits with each bit sent down a separate wire in tandem with the others. This method worked fine for slower rates of communication over longer distances, but once the speeds got higher, the crosstalk became a problem and it was found that more data could be sent serially at higher speeds and over longer distances with just two wires rather than 32 or more. This is also why we have moved away from the Parallel ATA ribbon cables for hard drives and to the Serial ATA configuration now considered the standard.

So, to summarize a 1.1 cable that is well constructed will work fine for 2.0, but a crappy one will work very poorly in 2.0 yet may still work fine in 1.0. Of course a 2.0 cable should never have any problems operating in a 1.1 environment. Further, 3.0 cables (if this standard ever takes off), should work fine in 2.0 and 1.1, but neither a 1.1 nor a 2.0 cable should be used in 3.0 as they can cause data corruption and slow the transmission rates down dramatically due to error detection/correction, potentially even slower than 2.0 or 1.1.

Note: Much of this information was gleaned from several web data sources, but was then modified, re-worded and compiled by me to properly address the question and applications being discussed herein.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have a newer HP DV7 laptop there is no 1.0 inputs on it anywhere.
I also have it plugged direct into it no hubs,docking stations etc and I am using the usb cord that was provided with my DROID 2. I am stumped!!
It is taking about 5 minutes to say drop a albums worth of music onto it or a couple pictures of my kids. I have done everything from reinstalling all the hp drivers windows updates . Anything a person with upper level consumer experience has.:cus:

My research in the reply above is the basis for what I believe to be your data speed problem. Miketoasty proved the theory that an older or non-2.0 compliant cable may cause speed issues. Still the cable that came with your Droid IS supposed to be 2.0 compliant, so perhaps you have a faulty cable. Try another cable from a 2.0 device and see if you get the same results.

tuestaloco1898

Reaction score
Droid ally and radio io

I GET THIS ......this content is downloadable and executable which one do you want...AND CANNOT GET ONTO RADIO IO ... RADIO IO WORKED FINE UNTIL MY ALLY READ I NEEDED TO UPDATE PHONE AFTER I DID I CANNOT GET RADIO IO TO LISTEN TO BUBBA...ANY HELP

mewshi

Reaction score
I GET THIS ......this content is downloadable and executable which one do you want...AND CANNOT GET ONTO RADIO IO ... RADIO IO WORKED FINE UNTIL MY ALLY READ I NEEDED TO UPDATE PHONE AFTER I DID I CANNOT GET RADIO IO TO LISTEN TO BUBBA...ANY HELP

Um... what...?