Problem With The Nexus Locating GPS

samiusmc

Reaction score
Hey guys, I came from my OG Droid and love my GNex. However, there's one issue I've noticed and don't know what's causing it. At first I thought it was my phone so I went to the Verizon store and tried to replicate the problem using their floor model and it too had the same problem. Here's the issue:

When I boot-up my phone, I go into navigation and enter a location. I get the message 'searching for GPS,' which is normal. What's not normal is that it seems to get stuck there or take up to five minutes to find the GPS. Like I said, the floor sample did the same thing.

To further diagnose the problem, I tried the same test on the Razor floor sample. It found the GPS right away.

There's either a problem with the GNex's antenna, an ICS bug or a bug in Google Maps.

Can you guys try this test on your phones and let me know if you see what I'm talking about. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

captdroid

Reaction score
Hey guys, I came from my OG Droid and love my GNex. However, there's one issue I've noticed and don't know what's causing it. At first I thought it was my phone so I went to the Verizon store and tried to replicate the problem using their floor model and it too had the same problem. Here's the issue:

When I boot-up my phone, I go into navigation and enter a location. I get the message 'searching for GPS,' which is normal. What's not normal is that it seems to get stuck there or take up to five minutes to find the GPS. Like I said, the floor sample did the same thing.

To further diagnose the problem, I tried the same test on the Razor floor sample. It found the GPS right away.

There's either a problem with the GNex's antenna, an ICS bug or a bug in Google Maps.

Can you guys try this test on your phones and let me know if you see what I'm talking about. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

No problem here using GPS finding signal and I use it all the time.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
ive seen an issue using the NAV app, but if i go into MAPS and put in an address. then hit navigate it works.. Actually using the NAV app broke for me.. didnt even get to locating GPS.

EAK

Reaction score
it takes a little longer for it to lock the GPS when starting the Nav app, like 30 sec. definitely not 5 min.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I was concerned about the GPS since Samsung is notorious for having GPS problems.
Today was the first time I actually tried it. I don't use Google maps, just the navigation. It works just as well as it did on my Motorola Droids.

OP
samiusmc

samiusmc

Reaction score
Are all of you trying this from boot? Turn off your phone, boot it up and then try the navigation. That's when I'm seeing the problem

captdroid

Reaction score
Are all of you trying this from boot? Turn off your phone, boot it up and then try the navigation. That's when I'm seeing the problem

ummm... yea I tried it after boot... it wouldn't work otherwise LOL :D

OP
samiusmc

samiusmc

Reaction score
ummm... yea I tried it after boot... it wouldn't work otherwise LOL :D

What I mean is, try it right after you boot. It seems to have a problem finding the GPS when the phone is first turned on.

captdroid

Reaction score
What I mean is, try it right after you boot. It seems to have a problem finding the GPS when the phone is first turned on.

Just let the phone settle down a bit after booting... my phone is on all the time anyway.

OP
samiusmc

samiusmc

Reaction score
Just let the phone settle down a bit after booting... my phone is on all the time anyway.

Even when you let it sit for a while, it still takes a long time to locate the GPS when you first start the phone up. Like I said, when I tried the Razor in the Verizon store, it found it right away. I didn't have to wait even when I first started the phone up.

phillyphill39

Reaction score
took 30 seconds maybe, i wouldn't even consider this an issue. I've never turned on my phone to go right into gps, then again i let it fully do its thing first

wolstonc

Reaction score
My location is only off when the GPS is on. Use Google location services I guess

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums