Problem with picture messaging

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to disable to the default text app so you can have your own on the lockscreen WHILE still being able to receive picture messages?

I know and I have disabled the default text app so GO SMS appears on my lockscreen but when I do that, I can't receive picture messages.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I just noticed yesterday this issue existed! I also like having my go SMS direct from lock screen and haven't found any other way other than freezing stock messaging...

Hopefully someone has a workaround.

Sent from my Supasonic Bionic!

SteveL408

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I'm having a problem that's driving me nuts. I've searched and can't find anything on this issue so here goes. If I've missed pertinent, existing threads then someone please point me in the right direction.

My wife and I each have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus through Verizon. They're both running the latest software, which with Verizon is 4.1.1. We both use Handcent SMS for text/picture messaging. This app has always worked great for both of us until recently. When I send a picture message to my wife's phone, the pictures have started coming through in black and white. I have no idea what's going on. I've uninstalled Handcent and reinstalled it. I've deleted the cache/data for Handcent, deleted all existing conversations, set it as the default app, disabled anything to do with converting an SMS message to MMS and rebooted the phone. Handcent is up to date on both phones. I can't think of anything else to try. If I send a picture message to my sister (latest RAZR on Alltel) she gets it correctly. If she sends a pic to my wife then it works correctly. However, I don't seem to be getting any picture messages at all on my phone. It seems my phone is the culprit here. Any suggestions?

ETA: My phone seems to work Ok if I use the stock messaging app, but I prefer to keep using Handcent.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hello.. Welcome to the forum.. Do you have any setting for amount of MMS max.. I've seen that scenario before but on stock messaging.. Where the person won't get them after you reach that number..

《Take Note2 BK's here..》

SteveL408

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for the welcome.

There is a setting in the 'Send Message Settings' for 'Maximum MMS Size' and it's set at the default setting of 1M.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
This is very odd..... The part of sending pics to her phone in black and white is truly something I have never heard of.... Have tried shutting the phone down pulling the SIM card (I know it probably doesn't have one I just can't remember 100%.) letting it sit for a few minutes and putting it back together then power it back up.... I am thinking you have some sort of permissions error of some sort with Handcent.....

Also on device delete ANY folders that handcent put there uninstall it again.... restart the phone then re install....

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I just downloaded Handcent on my Nexus to see if I could find something .. Ok under application settings it has multimedia message limit 30.. That is what I was thinking if you went over it or something.. Hmmm

《Take Note2 BK's here..》

SteveL408

Reaction score
The multimedia message limit is grayed out on my phone so I can't change it. I'll explore that and see if I can't figure out why it's grayed out.

Later when I have time I'll try deleting/uninstalling everything to do with Handcent as suggested above and shut down, reboot, and reinstall and see what happens.

I've been wondering if I got some kind of glitch in an update or something. I sent an email to Handcent but I haven't heard back from them yet.

And thank you guys for helping me out.

SteveL408

Reaction score
I uninstalled Handcent and deleted anything and everything in my phone I could find that had to do with Handcent. I shut off the phone and pulled the battery and sim card and let it sit for a little over five minutes. I put it all back together and tested out the stock messaging app and reset it to the default messaging app. Everything was working fine. I reinstalled Handcent and again everything seemed fine. Then I disable the stock messaging app again and a couple of test pics went through to my wife in color and now everything is back to black and white. I'm clueless.

texasblueline

Reaction score
My wife and I are also having this problem, we've both got the Samsung Galaxy S III on Verizon. When sending each other a picture with Handcent it comes actross as black and white and very low quality but when sent with the stock messager app it comes across just fine in color and higher quality, so I can only assume it's an issue with Handcent sending the picture and not on the receiving end. I've messed with various Handcent settings (including the max MMS file size) and nothing works. Sent Handcent an email as well but haven't received a response. Wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas or if the original poster figured out a fix?

SteveL408

Reaction score
Hey I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I never found a solution and we quit using Handcent . My wife was also having a problem of not getting all her messages with Handcent but she gets them with the stock messaging app. Hopefully Handcent will correct the issues before too long with an update.

texasblueline

Reaction score
Yeah I never figured anything out either. Handcent eventually replied to my email and had me change some settings, but it didn't fix anything and they haven't replied to me since then which was four days ago. We just decided to get rid of Handcent as well and have been using Go SMS Pro which has been working good for us.

Hey I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I never found a solution and we quit using Handcent . My wife was also having a problem of not getting all her messages with Handcent but she gets them with the stock messaging app. Hopefully Handcent will correct the issues before too long with an update.

SteveL408

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I might give that app a look. Handcent never even responded to my email.

SteveL408

Reaction score
I've been using Go SMS Pro for the past few days and I like it well enough so far. I still like Handcent a little better, probably because it's what I've been using for so long, but Go SMS Pro is still a huge improvement over the stock app.

SteveL408

Reaction score
So now I've been using Go SMS Pro for a week and a half or so and I've noticed over the past couple of days I'm not getting message notifications all the time. I've decided to ditch Go SMS for the stock messaging app again. I guess I'll just stick with it until Handcent gets their act back together.