problem with cell phone signal?

Joshmichael91

Reaction score
My motorola droid has been really weird with signal lately. i often notice it having 1 bar of service or no service in places i used to have great service. or i'll sit still and i'll jump between 0 and 4 bars.

i at one point rooted my phone and installed froyo, and put the 'froyo baseband' on my droid. then I restored my phone to 2.0.1 then updated back to 2.1 using a 2.1 file (for some reason it told me i was 'up to date' at 2.0.1)

would the 2.2 baseband be replaced with the previous baseband when i restored back?? or is it possibly the 2.2 baseband not working too well on 2.1??

what could be done to help fix this??

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My motorola droid has been really weird with signal lately. i often notice it having 1 bar of service or no service in places i used to have great service. or i'll sit still and i'll jump between 0 and 4 bars.

i at one point rooted my phone and installed froyo, and put the 'froyo baseband' on my droid. then I restored my phone to 2.0.1 then updated back to 2.1 using a 2.1 file (for some reason it told me i was 'up to date' at 2.0.1)

would the 2.2 baseband be replaced with the previous baseband when i restored back?? or is it possibly the 2.2 baseband not working too well on 2.1??

The baseband will remain what you updated to until you changed it. Nandroid backups will back up the ROM but the baseband remains the same so it COULD be 2.0.1 not working so well with the newer baseband. Which band are you using btw?
Actually, that has to be it! The 2.2 basebands are designed to ONLY work with 2.2. You'll need to flash back to the stock baseband.

Last edited:
OP
J

Joshmichael91

Reaction score

The baseband will remain what you updated to until you changed it. Nandroid backups will back up the ROM but the baseband remains the same so it COULD be 2.0.1 not working so well with the newer baseband. Which band are you using btw?
Actually, that has to be it! The 2.2 basebands are designed to ONLY work with 2.2. You'll need to flash back to the stock baseband.

thats what i was thinking. where can i get a 2.1 baseband??

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Here Index of /nap/droid

OP
J

Joshmichael91

Reaction score

Here Index of /nap/droid

Which one would work best for 2.1-update1?? the gearhead baseband or baseband.zip??

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OP
J

Joshmichael91

Reaction score
that site no longer works? is there another place to get the official VZW baseband???

rjsurfer

Reaction score
My non-rooted stock Droid has started doing the same thing the last few days:icon_eek:

When the bars go completely away and I lose the 3G symbol I can't send or receive calls, five minutes later it's fine all 4 bars show up and that's without moving the position of the phone an inch....very weird.

Rebooted the phone and did a battery pull and no change.

Seems strange.

Ron W>

Izzypup07

Reaction score
My non-rooted stock Droid has started doing the same thing the last few days:icon_eek:

When the bars go completely away and I lose the 3G symbol I can't send or receive calls, five minutes later it's fine all 4 bars show up and that's without moving the position of the phone an inch....very weird.

Seems strange.

Ron W>

I have the same problem. Was on phone for 45 minutes and VZW is sending new phone. Rep asked if phone was damage or wet, I said no. This morning check moisture strip and is red. I know I didn't get the phone wet. The sticker is on the charger jack inside the phone. Now I am going to have to live with it becuase I am not going to pay $500 for a new phone.

Any ideas??? The phone has never gotten wet!

ewells2420

Reaction score
it has red xs or is all red? Red Xs are normal.

Seems strange.

Ron W>

I have the same problem. Was on phone for 45 minutes and VZW is sending new phone. Rep asked if phone was damage or wet, I said no. This morning check moisture strip and is red. I know I didn't get the phone wet. The sticker is on the charger jack inside the phone. Now I am going to have to live with it becuase I am not going to pay $500 for a new phone.

Any ideas??? The phone has never gotten wet!

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
For those concerned about apparent changes in coverage, I'd recommend not relying solely on the highly unreliable "bars" shown on your phone.

A better approach is to go to

Root Wireless

Create an account and download the android app from their site. The app will conduct a series of tests of both voice and data coverage on an ongoing basis. The results can then be viewed on the Root Wireless website.

A warning. The frequent tests run by the phone can be a battery drainer so you may wish to uninstall the app after a few days/weeks of testing. But it will give you a very good picture of the actual service (voice and data) that you are getting.

P.S. You may be surprised by the results reported by other users for various carriers in your area. For example, in my Seattle suburb, Sprint and T-Mobile each have MUCH better voice signals than Verizon. So does AT&T.

Last edited:

hieronomo

Reaction score
I have been using Root's app as well and love to see my Nexus One - ATT always out perform my Droid on Verizon (can't wait to see how Droid X does) with signal strength in my area. I haven't notice any battery real drain while it runs in the background (only when I press constantly press check my network).

erikfig

Reaction score
You can download and install the new baseband update zip. Thats what I did.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk