Probably a simple question to most

b00ty_m4n

Reaction score
Ok Im really tired of trying to find a simple process to root my Moto RAZR MAXX 4.0.4/XT908!! And I wasnt aware that u couldnt do Nandroid back ups without being rooted! So Im gonna go for it and try and root my device I was gonna wait and do the OTA jelly bean 4.1 update as Im still at ICS but screw Im tired of waiting so Im gonna try and do it and pray that I dont brick it! I think all the hesitation is kinda cuz of all the things Ive read in the forums bout rooting! And how risky it is! I had a A854 milestone with root but it was rather simple to do with androot! And I kinda just kept thinking that when I got my NEW Razr Maxx that it would be as simple on ICS 4.0.4 but suprise suprise its nowhere near that simple but oh well maybe Ill just have to grow a set!! lol Ok a ? I have is I downloaded the Rooting Exploit and now it says to unzip it? I really feel like a Dumbazz but HTF or WTF does that mean and how do ya do that? After all of u all stop laughing your azzes off a answer would be great!?!? Thanx again b00ty_m4n:icon_ lala:

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Ok Im really tired of trying to find a simple process to root my Moto RAZR MAXX 4.0.4/XT908!! And I wasnt aware that u couldnt do Nandroid back ups without being rooted! So Im gonna go for it and try and root my device I was gonna wait and do the OTA jelly bean 4.1 update as Im still at ICS but screw Im tired of waiting so Im gonna try and do it and pray that I dont brick it! I think all the hesitation is kinda cuz of all the things Ive read in the forums bout rooting! And how risky it is! I had a A854 milestone with root but it was rather simple to do with androot! And I kinda just kept thinking that when I got my NEW Razr Maxx that it would be as simple on ICS 4.0.4 but suprise suprise its nowhere near that simple but oh well maybe Ill just have to grow a set!! lol Ok a ? I have is I downloaded the Rooting Exploit and now it says to unzip it? I really feel like a Dumbazz but HTF or WTF does that mean and how do ya do that? After all of u all stop laughing your azzes off a answer would be great!?!? Thanx again b00ty_m4n:icon_ lala:
Well hello booty_m4n, good to see you back. Haven't we had this discussion before? No one that I know of knows what the difference between you xt 908 and the more familiar Razr Maxx's (the 910 and 912). Because of that I am hesitant to recommend any root process right now because all the root processes that I can find do not include the 908. If you have downloaded a root exploit what is it called and where did you get it from. Also, if you don't understand what "unzip" means then maybe you need to do some basic research about zip files and rooting/flashing/hacking your phone. Just a recommendation...I don't want you to brick your phone because you don't understand what you doing and we can't find the references to help you out of a mess.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
As we discussed in our original discussion several weeks ago, the existing root methods for the 910 and 912 may work for the 908, the problem is finding the fastboot files for your 908 if the root soft bricks your phone. If you don't have access to fast boot files then you are in a mess you can't get out of...a phone that will not boot. The only information I can find is this: Motorola RAZR. According to this, your phone is 3g only...that alone tells me that you should not use the existing methods of rooting (for the 910 or 912). Evidently the 908 is carrier specific and does not support 4g, so I'd be very hesitant to try to root your 908 based on no fastboot files and the difference between the internal hardware that exist between 4g phone and 3g phone. Does this make sense to you?

OP
b00ty_m4n

b00ty_m4n

Reaction score
Ok my phone is 4G/LTE Im with Bluegrass Cellular in KY! Bluegrass is partnered up with Verizon as of awhile back k see bluegrass used to not have a very big selection of phones but now with verizon they got alot better line up they started carrying all the Apple Iphones, alot of Samsungs, more motorolas and quite a few more. This is the first phone I ever owned with a SIM card! They said with 4G that it was a must! And when I boot into recovery it goes to the android stock recovery with like 4 or 5 options only! But in bootloader mode their is AP Fastboot mode (S) OA.74 eMMC Info size 16G then next says device is locked. Status code:0 on down battery ok ok to program connect usb and last Data Cable and tells how to return to normal mode and the instructions. Im not trying to be difficult I just wanna have root! Lol

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Ok my phone is 4G/LTE Im with Bluegrass Cellular in KY! Bluegrass is partnered up with Verizon as of awhile back k see bluegrass used to not have a very big selection of phones but now with verizon they got alot better line up they started carrying all the Apple Iphones, alot of Samsungs, more motorolas and quite a few more. This is the first phone I ever owned with a SIM card! They said with 4G that it was a must! And when I boot into recovery it goes to the android stock recovery with like 4 or 5 options only! But in bootloader mode their is AP Fastboot mode (S) OA.74 eMMC Info size 16G then next says device is locked. Status code:0 on down battery ok ok to program connect usb and last Data Cable and tells how to return to normal mode and the instructions. Im not trying to be difficult I just wanna have root! Lol
Ok great...here is what I need you to do. Go to menu>settings>about phone and tell us what system version is on your phone. This is important information.

Chairwolf

Reaction score
Just want to put my 2 cents' worth in - I also have the XT908 model with Ntelos. Unrooted so far. system version is 6.16.300.XT908.ACG-nTelos.en.US

I have not attempted to root, as I haven't seen reliable rooting info yet.

Any thoughts? I suspect booty's info is similar.

I'd also appreciate good info on rooting this model. :icon_eek:
Thanks.

OP
b00ty_m4n

b00ty_m4n

Reaction score
Yeah Mr. ChairWolf I'm like totally disgusted with trying to find a reliable root exploit for the XT908 running ICS 4.0.4! After being used to a device with root access its really is kinda pissy if ya know what I mean and from your post u understand what I mean!? But I was told to have patience and all would come around so I'm trying! But I will let ya know if anything safe comes my way later on!!