Privacy??

floyd

Reaction score
OhioMom:
I was a YAPS password safe user many years ago, switching to eWallet in 2004 or so. I've got hundreds of private records in eWallet, which I think is way more secure than keeping this info written down on paper stored in a physical safe. I've figured, as long as I keep my encrypted db safely backed-up, I'll be in good shape. A good password safe has been essential for me over the years.
[snip]

Thanks for some great advice. Every now and then you get some gems here.

MRex21

Reaction score
The government legally has nothing to do with your privacy. The constitution has no guarantees of privacy. Privacy is up to you. Don't like risking it? Why play the game?

Just to be clear, the text of the 4th Amendment states, "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

This, coupled with the 5th Amendment has been loosely transformed into a 'right to privacy'. However, the Constitution limits the powers of government. It really doesn't decree anything to private parties...and...anything a person provides willingly (credit headers, court records, basically anything a person fills out and/or signs) is out there for all to see.

Sorry for the threadjack again. :)

Harrybub

Reaction score
Privacy went out the window during the second Bush presidency and isn't coming back anytime soon....

:rofl3: It's all Bush's fault! I love it!

Sure am glad the current administration has reversed all those evil Bush policies. :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks. I needed that laugh today.:icon_ banana:

HB

billyidle

Reaction score
Exactly, we're protected from our government, but not from private parties we knowingly willingly give our info to. If privacy concerns some so greatly, cell phones and specifically smart phones are not for them.

daddyd302

Reaction score
If you want privacy, go live in a cave and cut off all contacts with everyone.

Ok joke aside, at least here in America, we can still sue..... Try doing that in China or some dictatorship country.... As someone mention before, there is no such thing as privacy....You are for sale to anyone at anytime.....

olaf.ohman

Reaction score
Use non-US privacy app

Congrats on the excellent thread!
Just found it by accident and I read with a great interest. I think I can contribute something as a non-US citizen using non-US privacy apps.

As a citizen from Germany I would avoid any privacy tool from a US corporation. For that (and not only) reason I use a privacy tool from a european company with an open-source encryption library - B-Folders. Moreover, it runs on desktop Linux (Win and Mac too) and can sync multiple computers and phones. No cloud services, no remote servers, just peer-to-peer:

http://jointlogic.com/b-folders/2/

http://jointlogic.com/b-folders/2/help/sync/

Olaf

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Geez, it's been 9 months since I started this thread. Here are some things I've learned since:

- For me, I continue to think that it's a good idea to avoid putting any "sensitive" info in any cloud-based app/db. Although, it's probably the case that just having a ton of contacts in the Google contacts db exposes info that could create some semblance of a personal profile. Still, I limit what I can.

- I've backed out of Facebook almost altogether, in that I keep an account mainly to "read" content. I rarely post, I "deleted" the personal data I could, and made ambiguous (by adding multiple entries) the personal data that I "deleted".

- I still keep an eWallet db on my Droid, but I moved all highly-sensitive data (e.g. financial) to a separate eWallet db that is not on my Droid.

- I don't install any non-Google apps that require my Google log-in info or device ID. I remain uncomfortable with "security" apps like WaveSecure, and will not use them.

Despite any effort I've made so far to maintain some level of privacy, the comment from Hook early in this thread may turn out to be more reality than humor...

"You have been assimilated. Resistance is futile. Acceptance is the only way you can handle these things"

Reaction score
Assimilation started long before Google.

bill-gates-borg.gif