Privacy??

dualsub2006

Reaction score
You can keep your privacy sacred by not using google services. Keep tour information to yourself. Don't sign up for Facebook, Gmail, Twitter or anything else online. Don't buy an iPhone, Droid or Blackberry.

Don't ever forget that your participation is totally voluntary and is not required to be permitted to live your life. Everyone blames Google or Facebook for privacy concerns but even the most ignorant among us must know that once you hand over information it is no longer totally private.

JayMonster

Reaction score
You can keep your privacy sacred by not using google services. Keep tour information to yourself. Don't sign up for Facebook, Gmail, Twitter or anything else online. Don't buy an iPhone, Droid or Blackberry.

Don't use "discount Cards" to shop at supermarkets or "rewards cards" at best buy and other places, do not use a credit card (or debit card either), or get a magazine subscription or a movie rental. Don't buy a car, or a house. Pay cash for everything.

There are so many ways that "privacy" is lost. For the most part, it is innocuous to nothing more than some targeted advertising, but it is true that it is out there. But the question in society today is... how much and how far are you willing to go to stay "totally" private.

floyd

Reaction score
I like the cloud to save my contacts--they are priceless, and with laptops it's all too easy to lose them through lackadaisical backups and a fatal hard drive event. I just wish google had a paid gmail suite option where privacy was "guaranteed."

But that would imply they weren't trustworthy, eh?

Berzerker

Reaction score
Not talking about identity theft. Just privacy, something that us Americans, by our 1st, 4th and 14th amendments to our Constitution, should hold sacred, and not be suckered into relinquishing, lest we forget the blood spilt to protect these rights.

What does the 14th amendment (due process) have to do with privacy? I understand where you're coming from but...lol.

JayMonster

Reaction score
I like the cloud to save my contacts--they are priceless, and with laptops it's all too easy to lose them through lackadaisical backups and a fatal dousing. I just wish google had a paid gmail suite option where privacy was "guaranteed."

But that would imply they weren't trustworthy, eh?

Anybody that "guarantees" that at this point in the game is either

a) stupid

or

b) playing the odds

Because there is nothing "perfect" in software in this world. And putting up such a guarantee would only "guarantee" that there would then be hoards of people out there looking to be the first to crack the "guaranteed safe" option.

floyd

Reaction score
Not talking about identity theft. Just privacy, something that us Americans, by our 1st, 4th and 14th amendments to our Constitution, should hold sacred, and not be suckered into relinquishing, lest we forget the blood spilt to protect these rights.

What does the 14th amendment (due process) have to do with privacy? I understand where you're coming from but...lol.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or PROPERTY, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

See "liberty and property" above, i.e., personal info, communications etc.

Last edited:

JayMonster

Reaction score

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or PROPERTY, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

See "property" above, i.e., personal info, communications etc.

Do you also see where it says "No State shall make or enforce any law.." It says nothing about corporations profiting off of your information.

(Most people miss this nuance of the 1st Amendment as well)

floyd

Reaction score
It's not a "game." It's being made into one. Everybody "games" the system, and gamers applaud.

floyd

Reaction score

See "property" above, i.e., personal info, communications etc.

Do you also see where it says "No State shall make or enforce any law.." It says nothing about corporations profiting off of your information.

(Most people miss this nuance of the 1st Amendment as well)

Ooooh! Class action constitutional lawsuits! Even better! I missed that option, Atticus Finch.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
If you want privacy burn all electronics, move underground, call yourself Bob, and only eat things you kill... Other than that welcome to the information age and try to be smart about what you keep where and review everything.
Haha, sorry I couldn't resist.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

MRex21

Reaction score
I'm a private investigator. Let me emphatically state for the record. Privacy is a myth. There is no 'privacy'. There's just some information that is more inconvenient to get than others. But believe me, nothing is impossible to attain. The only true privacy anymore is simply not interacting with anyone. Whatever you keep in your mind is 'probably' private.;)

Anyway...sorry for the thread jack.

Last edited:

floyd

Reaction score
This is not America. This is like some stupid MMOG.

floyd

Reaction score
I'm a private investigator. Let me emphatically state for the record. Privacy is a myth. There is no 'privacy'. There's just some information that is more inconvenient to get than others. But believe me, nothing is impossible to attain. The only true privacy anymore is simply not interacting with anyone. Whatever you keep in your mind is 'probably' private.;)

Anyway...sorry for the thread jack.

"Inconvenient" means a "friend" you have to pay off in some way, eh?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was able to get an incredible amount of private data on an individual years back for $13 dollars online from a website. It was all accurate. It was majorly invasive... I was amazed it was possible... and I was just some schlub that paid for info over the net... I can only imagine what I would've found if I had 'dug'.