Privacy Issues?? What is, "Data Collector" Program Shown In Applications?

mmcompute

Reaction score
I was scrolling through my Razr's installed programs and saw two programs that I have no idea what they are.
  1. Data Collection
  2. Data Collector Service
Both of these programs are found in the "All" programs but do not show up in the "Downloaded" section of my programs. This means that they are part of the stock OEM phone but what the heck are they? I checked the program's access rights and they have access to EVERYTHING. I'd like to know what they are collecting and where that data is going.

Does anyone else have these programs on their RAZR?

eshef

Reaction score
I have them - also DataCollectorProvider. You can't dump them, but you can clear the data. Hopefully there wasn't anything vital there! :blink:

Zandar

Reaction score
From what I can see, it's a data collection app from Motorola. Everyone should have this (if they're stock) under All Apps. I just may have to root to turn this off.

ltcalex

Reaction score
Data Collection for Motorola or the User

From what I can see, it's a data collection app from Motorola. Everyone should have this (if they're stock) under All Apps. I just may have to root to turn this off.

Just a question? For whose purpose is this application? If is is only for the user and not the "cloud", it should be useful in your history of information; if for Motorola and it's cloud, I question. Anyone else's thoughts?

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score

How do you know they are from Motorola? I don't see a description about the apps on mine.

ltcalex

Reaction score
Presumption based on entry on this thread

How do you know they are from Motorola? I don't see a description about the apps on mine.
i apologize if my presumption is incorrect. If in fact this app in inherent to the system, who owns it, Motorola, VZN or who? Someone placed it there and why? What's its purpose?

DocsDad

Reaction score
I see it now. I was looking for an App with an icon... (duh me).

I am not overly worried about it.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Motorola or Verizon....it's on my Droid 2 global.....been there since day 1.
But not for long, I pick up my maxx tomorrow :) :) :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
I was looking at all Apps in my app drawer. Not under All in Manage Apps. I got it too.:blush:

I guess it makes sense that we'd all be on the watch list - no doubt Apple devices are exempt.

ltcalex

Reaction score
I was looking at all Apps in my app drawer. Not under All in Manage Apps. I got it too.:blush:

I guess it makes sense that we'd all be on the watch list - no doubt Apple devices are exempt.

SallyC, glad you're posting. Security shouold be high on everyone's lists, but as we know, it isn't. It's about getting the fastest best information available at a finger touch. This thread deserves a LIKE, if not for any other reason than security is important. ltcalex "Likes"