Question: Dock program functionality

fegriffith

Reaction score
Hey everyone...I have the maxx but I think this would be the same question for both so thought I'd post it here...

I have a third party dock program I'm using (CarHome Ultra). As far as I can see there is no dedicated "dock" program for the Razr unless you are using an actual physical dock, which I am not.

So the questions are:

1) Is there really no way to get to the built in dock functionality (without a dock)?

2) Is there somewhere to control the settings to the dock functionality?

This morning on the drive in I'm listening to a podcast and I got a notification of a text message that played over my podcast. So my podcast wouldn't pause, but I kind of liked the text message popped up on the screen and the phone asked me if I wanted it read or dimissed.

As I was driving I couldn't really stop what I was doing to figure out what was going on, but I did see in recent apps that the built in car dock functionality had kicked in. I have no idea what triggered it though (or how to control it/set it up, etc.).

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hey everyone...I have the maxx but I think this would be the same question for both so thought I'd post it here...

I have a third party dock program I'm using (CarHome Ultra). As far as I can see there is no dedicated "dock" program for the Razr unless you are using an actual physical dock, which I am not.

So the questions are:

1) Is there really no way to get to the built in dock functionality (without a dock)?

2) Is there somewhere to control the settings to the dock functionality?

This morning on the drive in I'm listening to a podcast and I got a notification of a text message that played over my podcast. So my podcast wouldn't pause, but I kind of liked the text message popped up on the screen and the phone asked me if I wanted it read or dimissed.

As I was driving I couldn't really stop what I was doing to figure out what was going on, but I did see in recent apps that the built in car dock functionality had kicked in. I have no idea what triggered it though (or how to control it/set it up, etc.).

I've looked and looked for this. Unfortunately, there's no way that I know of and judging by the lack of responses, no known way that anyone is aware of to trigger Car Navigation Dock mode. There was a way to false-trigger the Home HD Dock Bedside Clock mode (RAZR Dock), but there's still problems with it causing the fonts to be different on the clock display, and apparently it's completely broken in 6.12.173.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I use Bionic Car Dock app to simulate nav or home dock. Maybe the same dev makes one for the Razr OR perhaps this app might work with the razr? I could provide the. Apk if anyone wants to try, it couldnt hurt anything.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I use Bionic Car Dock app to simulate nav or home dock. Maybe the same dev makes one for the Razr OR perhaps this app might work with the razr? I could provide the. Apk if anyone wants to try, it couldnt hurt anything.

If you can get me the APK, I'll run it. ;)

OP
F

fegriffith

Reaction score
You guys are awesome.

So I figured out a couple of things...I was in a "cycle" where the third party dock would activate and then deactivate and activate again...a "boot" cycle of sorts. I finally figured out I had my smart action AND the application itself recognizing/initiating the bluetooth connection. So that explained the loop and I managed to get out of it.

Meanwhile as the loop was going crazy at some point I managed to check that the third party app should be the default to start. I still don't know what was activating the request to begin with. And at some point I managed to get into the Motorola car dock application and turned off the text message feature. I'm kind of regretting that now as even if it is activating in the background I won't be able to use that feature. However since my media didn't pause for it it is distracting to use.

I can't believe there is no way to manually access this app/controls without an actual car dock. That's ridiculous.

So now a new question...how would I clear the "default" action to start the third party dock instead of the Verizon dock? Just in case I some day do want to use that functionality.

P.S. the Bedside app works very well on the Razr for a nightime bedside clock. Just mentioning it since the other app seems to not work with the newest push.

P.S.S. I just downloaded Razr Dock and I am on .173 (6.12.173.XT912) and it is working fine from what I can tell. I still don't understand what happened with the whole "soak test" thing...it was pushed to me earlier this week and I'm definitely not in the soak test group. But thankfully other than not being able to use the keyboard to search for an app when in the app drawer, it is working fine for me.

Last edited:

LT*

Reaction score
You can use Launcher pro for this. I'm only going from memory, but you can find the dock controls under Launcher pro actions. You can pick the desk or car modes I believe.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LMK if the hail Mary pass works LOL

http://db.tt/wkXTkI1q

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Interesting...

OK, so the Bionic Dock tool works...sort of.

The Bedside Mode looks like it wants to work - sometimes flipping my screen from portrait to landscape, but doesn't actually pull up the Bedside Mode on the phone.

The Car Mode also looks like it wants to work - it calls for the Car Dock Mode (I have several dock tools assigned), and since I don't have a default added it gives me the proper selections just as it does when I insert into the Car Navigation Dock, however when I choose "SmartMode" which is Motorola's name for Car Navigation Dock mode, it just jumps back to the home screen. It DOES however allow me to select the OTHER dock modes I have so it clearly tries.

Now as far as the "Productivity Mode, I don't ever recall seeing that but it WORKS! It's kind of neat since it shows the calendar, has pop-ups for recent calls and texts, etc., and has the shortcut buttons across the bottom in Landscape, spaced farther apart making it easier to hit them.

View attachment 47228

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You can use Launcher pro for this. I'm only going from memory, but you can find the dock controls under Launcher pro actions. You can pick the desk or car modes I believe.

Found the process to set the Productivity Mode... I'll report in a few once I've tried all the other ones. :biggrin:

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Maybe someone who knows what they are doing can take apart the Bionic Dock app and tweak to work with the Razr if launcher pro doesn't pan out.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Maybe someone who knows what they are doing can take apart the Bionic Dock app and tweak to work with the Razr if launcher pro doesn't pan out.

I forgot that I went through the process trying out any and all references to docks within LauncherPro (using Shortcuts, Actions). None were successful except for the one that starts the Productivity Mode (which also works with the Bionic Dock prog. above.

I suspect that it's a combination of more than one service and action that causes the trigger. I'll have to play with the phone and a dock and keep going in to see what services are running. If I can determine what has to be running together to make it function, I can then either try to create an app that will start them in the proper sequence, or at least someone who is familiar with writing code can possibly do it.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
i use an app called "car mode control" to trigger car mode. although you not exactly missing out by not using the razr's car mode.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
i use an app called "car mode control" to trigger car mode. although you not exactly missing out by not using the razr's car mode.

Well I agree that the car mode is no big prize, but I'd like to be able to trigger the HD Dock modes, specifically the Bedside Mode. It would be nice if we could trigger webtop with only USB and HDMI cables, instead of needing either the HD Dock or the Webtop Adapter as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited: