Wireless remote for phone while in vehicle dock?

ofiba

Reaction score
I would like to be able to pause/play and skip forward/back while playing music while my phone is in the car mount. This is difficult and dangerous while driving so I was wondering if there was some sort of remote I could use which would give me basic controls. The audio is fed to the car speakers through the micro usb to aux cable.

I noticed in the description for the HD dock it says it has "wireless remote control for navigating the phone and controlling the media player". That sounds like exactly what i need. Is there a way to get it for the vehicle dock?

Thank you!

Last edited:

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Normally I'd say to get a bluetooth gateway that supports AVRCP, but I'm not sure if the controls work when connected to the aux or headphone jack. I wish I could give more help, but I'd start there. Anyone done this?

OP
O

ofiba

Reaction score
Seems like the jabra dog tag will give me what I am looking for, assuming I can make sure the audio still feeds out the usb instead of going to the bluetooth device. I wish I could find something cheaper that just gives me remote control ability without the stereo audio that I won't use, but it doesn't seem like that exists. Thanks for the advice!

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Seems like the jabra dog tag will give me what I am looking for, assuming I can make sure the audio still feeds out the usb instead of going to the bluetooth device. I wish I could find something cheaper that just gives me remote control ability without the stereo audio that I won't use, but it doesn't seem like that exists. Thanks for the advice!

I have one of these, used it on my OG, but have not tried on the Bionic. Not sure it will do what you want. Think it will only work BT thus presenting the control signals while paired and with headset plugged into the dog tag.

OP
O

ofiba

Reaction score
I have one of these, used it on my OG, but have not tried on the Bionic. Not sure it will do what you want. Think it will only work BT thus presenting the control signals while paired and with headset plugged into the dog tag.

I wasn't planning on plugging anything into the dog tag since the audio is already routed through the usb to aux in the car. The dog tag would pair with the phone and I would uncheck the "play media through bluetooth" setting on the phone's bluetooth setting. Would that not give me the ability to control the phone while still getting audio through the car?

bluezdawg

Reaction score
I wasn't planning on plugging anything into the dog tag since the audio is already routed through the usb to aux in the car. The dog tag would pair with the phone and I would uncheck the "play media through bluetooth" setting on the phone's bluetooth setting. Would that not give me the ability to control the phone while still getting audio through the car?

Hmmm, good question. I am going to be tied up this week, will try it this coming weekend

OP
O

ofiba

Reaction score
Just an update for anyone who is looking for a solution for this same problem.

I am currently using a Wiimote and the app below to do exactly what I need. I'd prefer a smaller remote that requires less battery power, but I haven't been able to find an alternative. I still can't believe there aren't 100 different products out there to do this. Seems like something a lot of people would want...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.d3fc0n.apps.android.MusicWiiMote&hl=en