Pre-purchase questions (Verizon Droid)

RandyL712

Reaction score
Thanks in advance - I've been a 5-generation Treo user (600, 650, 700wx, 700p, now Centro), but I'm ready to get a next-gen smartphone. I've got a few questions I hope you folks can help me with.

1) I am always going into my calendar while on a phone call, and I've heard that a Verizon 3G drawback is that you can't access it while on a phone call. Can you get into your calendar and use that (checking dates, adding appointments, etc) while on a call?

2) I use 2 different Google Apps email accounts that I check constantly. Is that easy to do on the Droid? They're not technically Gmail accounts.

Thanks for the help.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance - I've been a 5-generation Treo user (600, 650, 700wx, 700p, now Centro), but I'm ready to get a next-gen smartphone. I've got a few questions I hope you folks can help me with.

1) I am always going into my calendar while on a phone call, and I've heard that a Verizon 3G drawback is that you can't access it while on a phone call. Can you get into your calendar and use that (checking dates, adding appointments, etc) while on a call?

2) I use 2 different Google Apps email accounts that I check constantly. Is that easy to do on the Droid? They're not technically Gmail accounts.

Thanks for the help.

1) I've never tried it but I don't think you can unless you are using wifi. That would be the only way you can access the web and be on the phone at the same time. Calendar is an app but it's connected to the calendar on the web. If I'm wrong on this someone will correct me.

2) Best way to do it is have both accounts forwarded to gmail. This is real easy to set up at gmail.com.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain Hook is right, you can only access the web while on a call by using the WiFi feature.

The thing is Droid's built in calendar syncs with your gmail online calendar. SO you could access the calendar app and sync when you were done, all the while using the talk feature.

I have an app called Pure Grid Calendar that takes the place of my default calendar app, that I enjoy very much. There was a small charge for it, but what it's worth, I think the cost is very low.

Hope that helps with the calendar.

As for the email, again as Hook said: Forward to gmail :)

dylanthecat

Reaction score
You can access your calander, contacts, email, etc while on a call. You would be accessing the local versions on your phone, which are synced to exchange, gmail, or whatever. You can add calander and contact entries, compose and send email, etc. The email won't go out until you end the call. The only thing you can't do is access the web while on a call, so you won't be able to look up the capital of Peru until you hang up. Like was stated, if you are using wifi, then this does not apply.

OP
R

RandyL712

Reaction score
The thing is Droid's built in calendar syncs with your gmail online calendar. SO you could access the calendar app and sync when you were done, all the while using the talk feature.

You can access your calander, contacts, email, etc while on a call. You would be accessing the local versions on your phone, which are synced to exchange, gmail, or whatever. You can add calander and contact entries, compose and send email, etc. The email won't go out until you end the call. The only thing you can't do is access the web while on a call, so you won't be able to look up the capital of Peru until you hang up. Like was stated, if you are using wifi, then this does not apply.

Ahh- perfect, thanks for the informed replies.

As for forwarding my Google Apps domain-email accounts to a Gmail account, that's not even close to an option. Surely someone here actually uses Google Apps domain email and can answer that one.