Pre-Order Xoom at Best Buy for $1,199

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's a big difference from the one that I mentioned. The 720 is 45 W vs 18 W. In addition, it is a quad core vs a dual core, but I'm sure that someone as vastly intelligent as you already knew that off the top of your head.

Dual cores run hot, too, not as much, obviously but even relatively idle the 720QM is very warm. Like I said, why do you think Newegg is giving away free cooling pads?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
That's a big difference from the one that I mentioned. The 720 is 45 W vs 18 W. In addition, it is a quad core vs a dual core, but I'm sure that someone as vastly intelligent as you already knew that off the top of your head.

Dual cores run hot, too, not as much, obviously but even relatively idle the 720QM is very warm. Like I said, why do you think Newegg is giving away free cooling pads?

I checked all of the i7 notebooks at Newegg and only 3 of the ASUS ones come with a free cooling pad. This is out of 74 i7 notebooks. Perhaps it is an ASUS problem and not an i7 problem. In any case, the free cooling pad is not nearly as prevalent at Newegg as you are leading us to believe.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha! The old bait-n-switch. They are generating buzz and free advertising with this outrageous price. Real price drops $200-$300 and people suddenly feel like they are getting a bargain.

If the Thunderbolt can retail for $749, this can certainly be in the ballpark of $800-$900. Again, I think retail prices are being artificially inflated by VZW to get people to sign a contract for a discounted price.

Have to admit, I saw a demo of Honeycomb and it looks pretty sweet. My next home/personal laptop will be a tablet, but not until they get a bit more powerful and come with an optional detachable keyboard.

What blew my mind today.....pricing phones on other carriers. As of right now, the Atrix retail is $499. (might be for pre orders only, dont know) The Inspire, $399, The EVO 4G Shift is $399.

The EVO 4G Shift is $100 less than the EVO retail. On a side note, the laptop dock for the Atrix is discounted some more for pre orders.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
BB is on Crack....And all this time I though Apple were the crazy ones.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

I checked all of the i7 notebooks at Newegg and only 3 of the ASUS ones come with a free cooling pad. This is out of 74 i7 notebooks. Perhaps it is an ASUS problem and not an i7 problem. In any case, the free cooling pad is not nearly as prevalent at Newegg as you are leading us to believe.

From what I am reading, it appears that it is likely that it is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M graphics card that is running hot while gaming. It might be using more power than the i7, although I can't find the dissipation of the GT 335M.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Engadget updated and said it might just be a price place holder. My thing is....why not make the price place holder something thats not outrageous?
i agree with you...the price is most likely scaring away potential buyers that dont know

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Guys, stop having a cow. This is Best Buy's price, not Motorola's nor even standard pricing. The tablet will NOT be $1,200. This is just a publicity stunt by Best Buy, if anything else. By the time it's actually purchasable, the price will be competitive with (but not tons lower than) the iPad (or perhaps the iPad2). And then in the following 2 months, all of the other Honeycomb tablets will undercut the Xoom (which will then have its price lowered if they want to keep selling them).

But seriously, all you guys are doing is feeding the publicity stunt that Best Buy is playing at with this price. Bad attention is still attention, and when they actually go on sale at reasonable prices (arguable at $800), then this will be a case of no harm/no foul and nothing bad will come of it. Just chill, though!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
From what I am reading, it appears that it is likely that it is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M graphics card that is running hot while gaming. It might be using more power than the i7, although I can't find the dissipation of the GT 335M.

Not my issue. You may be right that it's more OEM specific. My HP runs hot even when doing light browsing, so the load is small. The dual cores are obviously better, but they can and do still heat up as you're talking 45W across 4 processors vs. 18 across 2. Under light load, only one or two of my processors are working and at lower clock speeds (vs. the dual cores), to boot. Lots of complaints about heat with the i7-620m in the Macbook Pro.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What blew my mind today.....pricing phones on other carriers. As of right now, the Atrix retail is $499. (might be for pre orders only, dont know) The Inspire, $399, The EVO 4G Shift is $399.

$499 is the CONTRACT price for the Atrix with the dock. I bet the Atrix itself retails for at least $649.

deputc26

Reaction score
What a joke, I cud build a quad core sandy bridge machine with 8gb Ram teraflops GPU and 2 tb storage for that price.

sb1831

Reaction score
Hmmm Samsung Glaxy 10.1 is a Google Experience device. That alone may make me not get the Xoom. Ok who am I trying to get I'll get them both.

DroidMastar2

Reaction score

it usually is the enhanced gpu in a laptop that will cause the most heating issues...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sigh... 2 words PLACE HOLDER. Stop FREAKING OUT.

And to those that still complain about $800...

It's pretty obvious that it's going to be more than an iPad. The new generation tablets are not going to be the same price as an iPad. So those of you saying "I can just buy an iPad" go ahead but you'll be getting nothing in comparison in specs.

Second, (forgot who said this from another thread) when you made the switch from your desktop to a laptop and payed more no one cried. You didn't say why am I paying more for a laptop? Simple, because it's convenient.

Last, when you go to customize a laptop on for instance, HP, the upgrade from a single core to a dual core is around $200-$250. So when you go from an iPad... then add a second core core with a bigger screen, Android 3.0, a rear camera, and the same weight... you should expect to pay a lot more.

Just my .02

Right but you are giving far too much credit to the average customer. Most people don't look at specs and say "ohh dual core I need this now" People look at brand name and price. For most of us here in the forum that is not the case, we are aware of the latest specs for the most part so we want the biggest and best. A LOT of people are going to be turned off by an $800 price tag for a tablet device. Yes they are convenient but they cannot do nearly as much as a laptop or pc. Look at the galaxy tab, that thing has had to lower it's price 3 times now and rumors are it's still not selling real well and the return rate is ridiculous. I am not expecting an iPad price but I was expecting a price that would make it comparable. Maybe 650 or so.

How is $650 comparable to an Ipad price... That IS the 32GB wifi-only Ipad price after taxes. After thinking about it $800 is really a feasible price for this tablet. I mean it's supposedly a better piece of technology right? Has better specs and more features. Then why not charge more? What can you do on your laptop that you wouldn't be able to do on this tablet? Most people don't even have dual core desktops. The galaxy tablet is a fail because it's not worth the money. The specs on that thing are crappy and its something that is overly hyped (especially on this forum). It seemed rushed and late at the same time.

On a laptop, I can run actual programs, not "apps". I can also plug the laptop into my motorcycle and play with all the engine management controls, and tune the bike. I can run actual Photoshop and do video editing, not run some watered-down app... etc...

Don't misunderstand me, I think that tablets are cool and all, but for $1200, or even $900, I would rather have a Windows 7 tablet that gives me the convenience of the tablet format, but lets me do everything that my laptop or desktop can do.

COSam

Reaction score
I don't think this was set up to "trick" people into thinking $800 isn't so bad after seeing it for $1,199. They couldn't set a placeholder for less than the actual retail price. That would have sparked even more controversy.

Reaction score
Man, think i will be sticking with what i am typing on right now which is a hp tm2 which happens to be a tablet/laptop for $900 with an I3, another $150 and you have an I5 with a dedicated graphics and you are still out the door for less than what moto is asking. If it had a quad or even a 6 core and the android operating system was more mature and had many more functions that say a windows 7 device would have then maybe but right now at that price point, they may be hard pressed to recoup their research and development costs.