Pre-Order For the Motorola RAZR Developer Edition Handset now Live

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
razrunlock.jpeg

Before anyone gets too excited, the pre-order is only for the European/GSM model at this time. In regards to other regions, Moto said "We are continuing to explore the possibility of offering additional devices with unlockable bootloaders in the future, in other markets across the globe, as allowed by our carrier and regulatory obligations." Translation: don't expect to see a Verizon version unless Big Read gives the ok. This has been a source of contention among many Motorola fans and while this news is exciting for our friends across the pond, we would advise our readers to remain cautiously optimistic about seeing a CDMA/LTE version here in the states. Do you think Big Red will allow another developer phone on their network and would you be willing to pony up the coin to purchase this handset off contract?

Via: Motodev / Moto Shop

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
not this one in particular at this point lets see what quad core looks like and offer that one unlocked.

bogginblazer

Reaction score
Its cool that they did this to appease us but no warranty is a useless phone. If it comes from the factory with defects you can't I return it. we already have an unlocked bootloader with a phone with a warranty. Cool but too little too late

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Aren't most dev phones like this GSM anyways? I remember Palm doing something like this, and the phones they gave were GSM and not CDMA.

TexasRules777

Reaction score
Wonder if moto will keep their promise and give us a way to unlock our verizon razrs? It's really the only reason I bought another Motorola product because we were promised " unlocked bootloaders buy end 2011". Well its 2012 and the only option I see is to buy a new razr with exactly the same specs but no warranty and unlocked. What about us original customers who bought the first razr? I feel cheated...

bogginblazer

Reaction score
Wonder if moto will keep their promise and give us a way to unlock our verizon razrs? It's really the only reason I bought another Motorola product because we were promised " unlocked bootloaders buy end 2011". Well its 2012 and the only option I see is to buy a new razr with exactly the same specs but no warranty and unlocked. What about us original customers who bought the first razr? I feel cheated...

It is unlocked if it was not we cold not root or put roms on.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unlock bootloader = nandroids

Locked = no nandroid backups
Is this correct?
Will this unlocked bootloader help "us" to unlock the "Verizon models"?

Sorry df app wont acknowledge spacing .....

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

TexasRules777

Reaction score
Yes my razr is rooted and yes I'm running an eclipse rom right now but I'm 100% sure my boot loader is locked hence I can't over clock it or have full control unless I buy a cdma developer model for full price. That's my problem with moto.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I believe the bootloader SHIPPED locked, meaning it can NEVER be unlocked. Don't hold me to that, but I'm fairly certain that is the case with the RAZR

Reaction score
Karma will eventually bite you guys in the ass Moto for thinking of your greedy pockets and not letting your customers do as much as they can with their phones. I understand you're a business and need to make money, but where is the hurt in pleasing all the fans of your products? Shouldn't they be about making a quality robust product and good customer service above all?

Last Moto phone I ever buy.

loki993

Reaction score
Moto said "We are continuing to explore the possibility of offering additional devices with unlockable bootloaders in the future, in other markets across the globe, as allowed by our carrier and regulatory obligations." Translation: don't expect to see a Verizon version unless Big Read gives the ok. This has been a source of contention among many Motorola fans and while this news is exciting for our friends across the pond, we would advise our readers to remain cautiously optimistic about seeing a CDMA/LTE version here in the states. Do you think Big Red will allow another developer phone on their network and would you be willing to pony up the coin to purchase this handset off contract?

Its funny how V$ only seems to have a problem with unlocked or unlockable bootloaders when it comes to Moto phones. However its totally cool with them on HTC, Samsung, Etc..Etc

Its cool that they did this to appease us but no warranty is a useless phone. If it comes from the factory with defects you can't I return it. we already have an unlocked bootloader with a phone with a warranty. Cool but too little too late

An unsubsidized phone with no warranty or carrier is hardly what I would call appeasement. A very poor attempt at it? Yes, but a long way from what it should be.

loki993

Reaction score
Karma will eventually bite you guys in the ass Moto for thinking of your greedy pockets and not letting your customers do as much as they can with their phones. I understand you're a business and need to make money, but where is the hurt in pleasing all the fans of your products? Shouldn't they be about making a quality robust product and good customer service above all?

Last Moto phone I ever buy.

It would be nice to think that, but honestly we don't even cause a blip on their radar. Which makes this whole bootloader thing even more preposterous.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Karma will eventually bite you guys in the ass Moto for thinking of your greedy pockets and not letting your customers do as much as they can with their phones.
Unfortunately I have to disagree with this. Their policy of leaving the device locked really has no real impact on them at all. Nobody really cares. HTC, Nokia, LG all suffered dismal Q4 numbers. The problem lies not in bootloaders but lack of a focused product. Samsung understands it with their Galaxy S line-up .

Just my opinion on this whole thing