Pre-Order For the Motorola RAZR Developer Edition Handset now Live

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
From the way it was explained to me that's not the way it works. An unlockable/lockable bootloader is an option from manufacturer/Motorola. The device will ship with or without. I'm just the messenger, perhaps the info I was given is incorrect but thats what I was told.

They even elude to it on their FAQ. When asked "How do I tell if my device has an unlockable/re-lockable bootloader?"

"This depends on a few factors. First is whether the device ships with a bootloader that is capable of being unlocked or re-locked..."

I would think that if Moto wanted to unlock the bootloader they could. That would seem kinda backwards for a company not to be able to unlock their own product.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I would think that if Moto wanted to unlock the bootloader they could. That would seem kinda backwards for a company not to be able to unlock their own product.

If you knew some of the security measures they have in place I wouldn't put it past them :) moto is no joke in this department. They have some "crazy stuff" coming out in regards to security I hear.

Sent from Droid RAZR

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I believe that motorola could unlock it as well but it would probably more costly or a headache to do it. The fact that they have an unlocked razr just proves it can be done. I think motorola is trying to go in the direction of competing with rim and blackberry. Blackberry customers want that security and motorola is aiming for those business customers. The problem with that is the people hyping the phone are you hackers. We always said that we are the minority but we swing the pendlum one way or another. It seems like motorola's plan is to quiet the crowd so we can stop getting in the way of their business. CK you said all manufacturers suffered q4 decline but that is partly because no one manufacturer was able to capture the crowd. Htc did what we asked by unlocking the bootloader but the thunderbolt scared away users. The nexus has finally graced us but not every one like the vanilla look and plus people are returning the nexus for other devices for various reasons. Motorola will still appeal to fans regardless if they are locked or unlocked. Motorola's attempt to me is ridiculous and seems more like a half-hearted way to shut up the crowd. I heard some one above complain about motorola's greed. They all are greedy they want money and want you to buy. The reason htc unlocked the bootloader has nothing to do with them "caring about us". They saw all the heat motorola got for locking the bootloaders and they saw a chance to grab customers, especially og droid customers who they knew were coming up on the end of their contract. All businesses care about making that sell and they will dangle carrots, switch and bait, cover up what ever just to get you to buy their product. Do vzw care about locked bootloaders, yes and no. They dont want people getting around the system and tethering for free they like making money charging people for tethering plans. Besides that they can care less if you unlock and root your phone and if you void your warranty and break it they will be happy to sell you another phone because no matter what you have to either live out the contract or pay an early termination fee.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm an AMERICAN, living in AMERICA. I buy my device from a company based in AMERICA. And the slap in the face that I receive is that I cannot purchase a developer phone from said AMERICAN company unless I am a foreigner?

The world is going to hell.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm an AMERICAN, living in AMERICA. I buy my device from a company based in AMERICA. And the slap in the face that I receive is that I cannot purchase a developer phone from said AMERICAN company unless I am a foreigner?

The world is going to hell.

Its not even like Motorola makes the phones in America. Everything on the phone is Japan or China.

That being said, I try to buy American, but I don't kid myself when I am buying something to make myself feel good.

X

blacksoxing

Reaction score
To be fair....for every person that can take a phone, root it, install a custom rom successfully, and overclock it without problems...

...There seems to be 5 folks daily who messed up and flood message boards wanting to know how to revert everything back to normal so they can call up their provider and exchange the phone out or use their warranty without the company knowing of their mistakes...

And we all KNOW this. Probably a few "I NEED HELP!!!" threads on here right now w/people who put their phone in an infinite loop or whatnot.

It makes me wonder how much money Moto will save and how many phones have not been returned since locking the bootloader. Of course it doesn't stop rooting of the phone....but it does stop a phone from overheating because someone wanted to put their phone on a high processing speed and now is practicing their excuse of "I don't know how it died....."