powermat and droid?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I fail to see the point of the Powermat entirely. You have to add something to your device, and you have to put your phone in the same place. How is there any convenience added whatsoever? Kinda lame tbh.

I'm just waiting for radio wave charging, so I really never have to charge my phone.

Most place their phone same place every night....Most

Bostonsfavson

Reaction score
I was interested in getting the Powermat, but the reviews on Amazon.com were a bit cool. It's an interesting technology, but not quite ready for prime time.

monkeydog

Reaction score
I have a power mat and I really enjoy it. All the adapters to the power cubes allow you to charge pretty much anything without having to crawl under the desk to plug in another cable. I also love it for traveling, just take the powermat with you and everyone can charge their phones and whatnot without having to worry about losing or forgetting your individual chargers; also negates the need to rochambeau for the limited power outlets wherever you're staying.

@sooks
The powermat works fine with my droid, try taking the cube off of the mat and sitting it back down.

Last edited:

PJ_ED

Reaction score
Still not there on function or price

I saw the Duracell at Target and was intrigued by the concept, certainly not the price. I found the WildCharge on line. PureEnergy Solutions It looks like you replace the back cover with theirs,then plug the new cover into the phones usb port. A little less obtrusive. Couldn't anyone make a battery with the cover attached that has the charging points integrated, instead of having to use the usb also? Nothing for Droid anyway.

carbine

Reaction score
My friend, an electrical engineer student is currently working for a company in Ohio who is working on a way to wirelessly charge devices such as MP3 players and cell phones. Without being laid on a mat, just by walking into a room. I cannot remember the name of the company off hand.

From what I've overheard, the company he works for got ahold of about 8 Moto Droids when they first came out. Putting all this together I've realized that I think they're working on wirelessly charging Droids.

A bit more advanced than the powermat but a lot more convenient. Imagine offices, homes, restaurants... Hell... Everywhere having wireless charging abilities. You'd never have to worry about running out of battery life ever again.

Here's a CNN story on wireless power:
A cordless future for electricity?
One set of researchers is able to send power over long distances but in very small amounts.
For example, in 2003, a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, company called Powercast used radio waves to light a low-power LED bulb that was 1.5 miles from its power source, said Harry Ostaffe, spokesman for the company.

gentlefury

Reaction score
It would indeed be cool, but those damn "charging backs" completely cover up the back ends of phones. I want wireless charging, but not at the expense of the beautiful backside of my Droid. I mean seriously, turn this thing over and look at that sleek, contoured back panel. Everything in it's place, so aesthetically pleasing. It's simply.... I mean it's just so...

I'll take 10 powermats please.

Powermat is releasing a droid battery with the charging mechanism built in...so you can have your droid naked and it will work the same way. Should be out this year some time.

Tysl332

Reaction score
ya I saw though on some black berry devices they have one you just slip in to replace your battery they need that for the Droid the universal adapter doesn't make any since considering your still plugging in your device so i don't see how that adapter defats the purpose of wireless charging....

jmilacek

Reaction score
Why is anyone interested in this? It's so utterly useless.

Tysl332

Reaction score
Its because we're all to lazy to plug them in so dropping the phone is much easier LOL

jmilacek

Reaction score
But if you want to use it while it's charging, you can only use it in that one exact position.

Honestly, the idea seems completely pointless. How can you be too lazy to pick up a cord and plug it in - something that takes all of 3-4 seconds?

Tysl332

Reaction score
lol god man it was only a joke who do you know really that would be that lazy yes i agree it is kinda pointless but also a nice idea if your in a rush cause you can just pick it and go:icon_ banana:dancedroid

rmcray08

Reaction score
But if you want to use it while it's charging, you can only use it in that one exact position.

Honestly, the idea seems completely pointless. How can you be too lazy to pick up a cord and plug it in - something that takes all of 3-4 seconds?

Three to four seconds may not sound like much, but multiply that by the lifetime of the phone, and you're easily talking minutes. Minutes, I tell you! Still, seems a little expensive.