Powermat for Droid!

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the power mat, do you have to attach something to your phone that stays on it at all times and then it's capable of charging on the mat? Or can I just take my droid and place it on the thing.

Guchi

Reaction score
you need an adapter on the phone. its been a case up until now but that says there will be replacement batteries with adapter built in. just no replacement battery for iphone

monkeydog

Reaction score
In one of the pictures it shows a powermat branded battery so I assume they created a new battery for the droid, instead of a jacket, that can be used on the powermat and the droid would probably need powermat app to utilize it or give info or something... they haven't released this yet though.

I can't wait for this. Ability to use the powermat with my droid without a big ugly jacket! Yes please, anyone have info on when this will be released?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If they make a Powermat capable battery for the Droid I'll think about picking this up...but if I have to attach something to the Droid... I'll just plug it in :)

mach330

Reaction score
i do think the powermat will only do well if they start to standardized batteries that all of them are built it. it's hilarious to see attachments or even cord attachements which attaches to the device. it's like.what's the point if you're going to have the cord anyways.

pmm-ho100-hero-wpowercube-2_1.jpg

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mean whats the point if I have to attach something? I can just plug it in to the wall if I want to do that.

Guchi

Reaction score
If they make a Powermat capable battery for the Droid I'll think about picking this up...but if I have to attach something to the Droid... I'll just plug it in :)

the iphone case for power mat is actually really good. tough, good looking and it makes it so the iphone has a micro usb instead of apple proprietary

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
the article is about how they will have a battery that just replaces the stock one that can wirelessly charge

imiller913

Reaction score

+1 if I have to put something on it I can just plug it in to charge

smokinfish

Reaction score
Their whole line of products is pretty cool. They will have counter tops that have the power mat device built in and you put your phone on the counter and it will charge. They are also making it compatible with appliances as well. No plugs just put your blender, coffee maker, crock pot etc. on the counter and it works. Pretty amazing stuff. I'd redo my kitchen if I didn't have to plug anything in, pretty cool technology.

ips

Reaction score
Id only ever buy their current stuff it it was ALOT cheaper... sure its cool to charge a phone with no chord attached but is it worth 100 plus the money for the attachment, Im a college student so definitely not for me. If they put out a matt I could put down on my desk that charged my macbook pro... id consider it...but is it that big of a deal to plug in your phone?

rothenbj

Reaction score
Id only ever buy their current stuff it it was ALOT cheaper... sure its cool to charge a phone with no chord attached but is it worth 100 plus the money for the attachment, Im a college student so definitely not for me. If they put out a matt I could put down on my desk that charged my macbook pro... id consider it...but is it that big of a deal to plug in your phone?

I just received an Imax power pack in the mail from Imaxpower.com today. It's a 5000 Mah charger, that I can take with me if I don't have access to car or ac power. It's marketed for the Iphone but they have a micro USB plug that they sell as an add on. I should be able to get 7 or 8 half charges out of it before needing to recharge it.

A bit ot but I was looking for an alternative when no other source of power was available. I've got jury duty coming up May 1 and wanted to be able to droid in the waiting area.

I had considered a second battery which I had bought for my bb Pearl but never had a need for. This was only a few dollars more than a second battery for the droid and much more practical.

I'll start a threat once I get a chance to play with it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the power mat, do you have to attach something to your phone that stays on it at all times and then it's capable of charging on the mat?
Try hitting powermat.com. It's amazing what you can find on the manufacturer's site. :D

it's like.what's the point if you're going to have the cord anyways.
I guess you only have one cord to the wall but there are less expensive solutions like the Chargepod.

+1 if I have to put something on it I can just plug it in to charge
The older style receivers are designed to live on the device. The batteries are a better solution but I wonder how many mAh they will be as sure the inductive charging hardware uses some space?

Last edited:

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Holy crap, a power mat battery would be awesome! I wonder how much the capacity is reduced by having to incorporate the charging hardware though.