Power, sleep, unlock ?'s

hyisbm

Reaction score
Okay, I just got the Droid and have a few questions. I am open to all suggestions & answers. First off, I have a disability with no use of my hands. From playing with the phone so far, I can pretty much do everything while it's on. The main issue right now is, I can't turn it on after it puts itself to sleep. I cannot push the power button.

So,

1) is there any way to turn it back on without using the power button?
2) is there any way to bypass the unlock screen?
3) can I tell it to never go to sleep? How long will the battery lasts if I do this.

It will be mounted onto my wheelchair so it shouldn't be accidentally hit or made random calls. My only idea right now is to maybe glue a piece of object on the button and hopefully create enough pressure just by resting my hand on it. Any other solutions or recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks

JimmyD

Reaction score
1) is there any way to turn it back on without using the power button?
Yes. If you slide the screen out to reveal the physical keyboard, you can turn on the Droid without the use of the power button

2) is there any way to bypass the unlock screen?
Yes. There is an app that allows you to essentially skip the unlock screen altogether; however, I don't know the name of the app, sorry.
Maybe someone will jump in with the details on this app?

3) can I tell it to never go to sleep? How long will the battery lasts if I do this.
No. There is a setting for the Screen Timeout, which I believe the longest amount of "up time" is 30 minutes.

Congrats on getting the Droid and welcome to the forums!

19DroidRage84

Reaction score
myLock from the market will auto unlock your phone. No more having to slide to unlock everytime your phone goes to sleep. You just hit the power button and it will take you to your homescreen. Ive been using it for awhile and it works great. Sometimes after a phone call it will make you slide to unlock but thats the only time i ever see my lock screen.

Just search myLock in the market. The one you want is "myLock Auto Unlock for 2.0/2.1". After you install it you just open and enable. It also has a widget that allows you to toggle it on and off.

OP
H

hyisbm

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. So I went ahead and put on myLock and that is saving me a step already. As for turning it on, sliding it was also not an option. I don't have enough grip to slide it. If I hit it, it might end up across the room. But, my idea of putting something on the power button seems to be working quite good right now.

Otherwise, I am really happy with the phone right now.

Thanks again

dclutter1

Reaction score
I prefer "No Lock" to mylock. Its another option for you to try.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

19DroidRage84

Reaction score
I prefer "No Lock" to mylock. Its another option for you to try.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Edit: "No Lock" works faster than myLock but the camera and volume buttons wake up the phone which is no good. Going back to myLock.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
If you want to stop the phone from going to sleep try screebl. Not sure how long the phone will last with the display on at all times. May want to lower the display to the lowest setting.

OP
H

hyisbm

Reaction score
Well, since my little customization is working for now, I may just let it turn itself off. I guess one thing I should be concerned about is if I'm out in public someone can just yank it off my chair. At least if it goes dark it will just look like an electronic part for my chair.

dclutter1

Reaction score
Any reason why? More options? Bugs?

If I remember correctly, mylock still showed the lock screen briefly when waking the phone and that bugged me.

Also it lets you wake the phone with the camera and volume buttons, which I thought may be useful for you.

OP
H

hyisbm

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, I just tried hitting the camera button and I can do that.

19DroidRage84

Reaction score
How are you mounting the phone to your chair? Maybe the car dock would help you. It comes with a pad that you can stick to things. So you can put the mount anywhere you can get the pad to stick. Also you can move the mount in different angles and lock it in place. This way you could mount the phone in a place/angle so that it would make it easier for you to use.

Edit: if this is already how you are mounting it there are apps that will block the car home from coming up when you put it in the dock.

OP
H

hyisbm

Reaction score
You were just a few minutes late. I just spent the last 15 minutes drilling out the little magnet and an opening for the camera. My research didn't come up with any applications to get rid of the car mode screen. Anyways, yes I am using the car mount but it is pretty big and bulky looking on my chair. I'm going to probably have my brother weld up a new bracket that will look much more slick on the chair. I just have to find the angle that works best first.

19DroidRage84

Reaction score
How did you find the magnet? And you are more brave than me I don't know if I could drill into my droid!

OP
H

hyisbm

Reaction score
The magnet is on the car mount. No way I would drill into the droid :icon_eek: