power button to quit an incoming call...

nate94gt

Reaction score
on the iphone (here i go again), the power button would also silence a ringer w/ 1 press, and a second press would send the call to voicemail. Worked great when i was at work and couldnt answer the phone, i could at least shut off the ringer but just hitting that button while still in my pocket. W/ the droid, i actually have to take the phone out to silence the call, thus the customer realizes im paying attention my phone, not them. thankfully ive been getting the quiet ringer lately :eek:, so at least that helps

keeseckb

Reaction score
Just reach in your pocket and hit the volume rocker while its ringing. Will silence the call and goes to voice mail after 30 sec or whatever. I never make it go straight to voice mail cause it makes the caller thing you're ignoring them...

sgf323

Reaction score
Don't you mean it lets the caller know you're ignoring them! :)

Minaris

Reaction score
Just reach in your pocket and hit the volume rocker while its ringing. Will silence the call and goes to voice mail after 30 sec or whatever. I never make it go straight to voice mail cause it makes the caller thing you're ignoring them...

Sorry to resurrect a month old post, but... This method of "silencing" the phone during ringing doesn't work if the phone is "sleeping" in a locked state (with the 9 dot combination lock). Thus, I am forced to take my phone from my pocket and punch in my 9 digit combination every time just to silence the dang thing. Someone please tell me there is a way to fix this other than having my phone unsecured and unlocked?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Sorry to resurrect a month old post, but... This method of "silencing" the phone during ringing doesn't work if the phone is "sleeping" in a locked state (with the 9 dot combination lock). Thus, I am forced to take my phone from my pocket and punch in my 9 digit combination every time just to silence the dang thing. Someone please tell me there is a way to fix this other than having my phone unsecured and unlocked?

the 9-dot lock screen still pops up on an incoming phone call? that's annoying...
on the normal unlock screen when a phone call comes in it gives you a slider to answer or ignore. very interesting...the 9-dot lock seems more of a hassle to me than ever now

Minaris

Reaction score

the 9-dot lock screen still pops up on an incoming phone call? that's annoying...
on the normal unlock screen when a phone call comes in it gives you a slider to answer or ignore. very interesting...the 9-dot lock seems more of a hassle to me than ever now

No no no, that's not what I meant... if the phone is locked and I get a call, it still displays the phone call screen with the options to answer, but the volume rocker doesn't do anything / silence anything. I assumed this was because of the 9 digit lock because it works otherwise?

At least, I think it doesn't work for calls, I'll have to experiment now that I think about it because I haven't attempted to silence many.. but I KNOW that if its sleeping and I get a notification, I cannot silence it. I have a short instrumental orchestra piece from a song as my notification ringtone. Sometimes it is nice to hear and enjoy, but other times I am in company and don't feel the need to share it over and over with people. I assumed there was no fix, as I have tried everything.. so this may just be me voicing a concern. Maybe I can figure out how to make an app to allow the rocker to work at all times, if one doesn't already exist.

Sorry for the confusion

Reaction score
I was use to the blackberry curve with the mute on the top.
One time I got a call and hit the top button (thinking it would mute the call) and it answered the call.
The caller said they could hear alot of russling (it was in my pocket)
Is there NO way to set that top button to mute?

spalding12

Reaction score

exactly.....
i've owned COUNTLESS phones (just like everyone else here)
and the droid is the ONLY phone I'VE ever seen that you CANNOT SILENCE when it is in the LOCKED mode

that is a design FLAW which MUST be fixed

RJP3579

Reaction score
I just tried my Moto Droid and when the phone is ringing, it will show the call screen from the locked mode and either the power button or the volume rocker will instantly silence the phone but not send to voice mail. If I hit the power button, the ringtone stops and the screen will turn off. If I hit the rocker, the call screen stays up but ringtone stops playing.

deckclass

Reaction score
Forwarding to Voicemail

I just tried my Moto Droid and when the phone is ringing, it will show the call screen from the locked mode and either the power button or the volume rocker will instantly silence the phone but not send to voice mail. If I hit the power button, the ringtone stops and the screen will turn off. If I hit the rocker, the call screen stays up but ringtone stops playing.

I called Verizon because while in a locked state my Droid would send calls to a busy signal instead of to voicemail regardless if I pressed the volume rocker, the camera button or the power button. They found that somehow I had been set (by pressing *72) to forward calls to my own cell phone number. They said I could press *73 to turn off that forwarding service. Maybe it was a backoffice glitch that set up call forwarding or maybe I hit those buttons while the phone was in my pocket. I can now press the volume or power button to silence the phone and send incoming calls to voicemail.