Possible Ways to Crack the Bootloader

KHeeney5

Reaction score
As for help, I could maybe help. I have a good understanding of calculus and some equations. I know VB/C/C++. I could probably help more on the programming end than the math end, however I could try both.

I have a friend who is ridiculously good at math and knows quite a bit about encryption.

Just let me know what you need me to do, or if you want me to talk to him. I'm sure he'd be able to help.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I can offer my brain for math.... as for the rest.. I really am lost.
{{ WugFresh }}

When can you start?

I'm at school like I said, so I have to do the balancing act with my real work. Besides that, I could try and allocate a set amount of time every day. So I guess immediately, minus tonight.. because I have work due at midnight. But yeah.. I would be more than happy to be apart of the effort if I am capable of doing so.

Step 1 is going to be for me to just read a lot, because I am obviously lacking some fundamental knowledge considering (a) I have never done a hash collision before and (b) I know very little about android in comparison to you.

Besides all that, I am game.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Do I have to worry about being on moto's hitlist? Not trying to get sniped anytime soon..lol wasn't on my to do list.

Hope I can help, I will give it my all and won't bs, I am no nenotroll... lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited:

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
As for help, I could maybe help. I have a good understanding of calculus and some equations. I know VB/C/C++. I could probably help more on the programming end than the math end, however I could try both.

I have a friend who is ridiculously good at math and knows quite a bit about encryption.

Just let me know what you need me to do, or if you want me to talk to him. I'm sure he'd be able to help.

Please ask your friend for a good reference book. Tell him exactly what we are trying to accomplish and ask him specifically what material he would recommend getting for information on this type of math/crytography.

@everybody, if you think you know of any good resource/reference material on hash collisions or any of the encryption stuff involved here please send me an email at [email protected] with links, authors, articles, studies.. ect. The more I know/learn, the greater the chances I will actually be able to do something with that knoledge. Your help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Please reach out to any of your friends or family members of you think they have any expertise in this subject matter. I obviously am going to do alot of independent research, but regardless I really would like as much reference material as humanly possible, so if you think you can help, please don't hesitate to shoot me an email. Thanks in advance

{{ WugFresh }}

estafusisx

Reaction score
Do I have to worry about being on moto's hitlist? Not trying to get sniped anytime soon..lol wasn't on my to do list.

Hope I can help, I will give it my all and won't bs, I am no nenotroll... lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

Lol no probably not :p its not like ur hacking an iphone or anything lol but that did entertain me for a few mins :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

droidx8791

Theme Developer
Reaction score
I know what 1+1 is lol jk. Hope you geniuses can crack this baby. Just wish moto would give us a way to unlock it for the development community.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Really I believe after we give it so many attempts and get really close they will just give it to us to make us think we wasted our time. That's about how my luck goes atleast.

Sent from my DROIDX

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
And forgot to mention, GOODLUCK!! If I find anything to help ill be sure to shoot you and email.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Instead of just straight up emailing him post all your info that you get here.

WugFresh: I'll be throwing you an email tomorrow to get you up to speed.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you want my help you got it to. The whole subject of cryptology has always facinated me (same with any type of pregramming). I have almost no knowledge of either but I have plenty of spare time. So if you have something specific for me to work on I can.

@alias, pm me if you need my email for one of those emails too.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

devortex

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Just a noob observation here, but hasn't tbh kind of already done this to a limited degree? They've got the update.zip files used in the maderstoc package and whatever other name its floating under. If we can jump just one level left or right in the bootloader and kernel, can't we just hijack these update.zip files with any kernel we want?

Probably not, must be checking something within kernel, but if we can isolate the bits, can we just inject those bits into custom kernels? Someone just isolate the bits, duh.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If we knew what bits to isolate then we wouldn't be having this problem, we would have unlocked bootloaders and cm for all. Everyone would be happy, and then we could get to work on new stuff rather than cracking current stuff.

devortex

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If we knew what bits to isolate then we wouldn't be having this problem, we would have unlocked bootloaders and cm for all. Everyone would be happy, and then we could get to work on new stuff rather than cracking current stuff.

Exactly, lets get on that. I'm gonna go with 01101101 01101111 01110100 01101111 01110010 01101111 01101100 01100001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101100 00110011 00110011 01110100

We all just have to remember 2 things:
  1. Its all just 1's and 0's
  2. There is no spoon

But seriously. I'm in no way even remotely knowledgeable to figure any of this out. I just hope that no one overlooks something completely stupid and obvious. That's why I think the forums are great in that people are going to express crazy off the wall ideas as well as very technical accurate ideas.

Apparently other device manufacturers are working towards moto's ways. HTC is trying to lock the Nexus S apparently. Good thing for htc users is that htc isn't that good at locking things. Its like they lock the door, but don't close it all the way, so you just have to push on it a bit...